Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2019, 07:21 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

VIN location needed

I have a 1987 International S1700. I'm desperately trying to locate the VIN number. Where can I find it? I searched the interwebs, this forum, tried looking under the hood, the dash... nada.

It has a Carpenter body if that makes a difference.
Attached Thumbnails
15627180036857158718878796883372.jpg  

Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:26 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
VIN number should be on the title.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:32 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Yeah, but when I initially wanted to register mine in NH, Officer Fiendly had to come by and visually verify VIN, verbatim.
Mine's Thomas Built, so can't help ya, sorry...
Old 07-09-2019, 07:36 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph View Post
I have a 1987 International S1700. I'm desperately trying to locate the VIN number. Where can I find it? I searched the interwebs, this forum, tried looking under the hood, the dash... nada.

You've seen this, I hope: https://icsw.nhtsa.gov/people/injury.../carpenterbus/

Unlike most modern buses which are built from a single bent piece of hat channel that forms the roof and both walls, Carpenters relied on a complex welded structure that joined separate wall and roof members. In buses built at the Mitchell plant (like yours, unfortunately) these welds were very prone to failure, not even in accidents but just from everyday usage.

When you demo your bus, it would certainly be a good idea to inspect those welds. If any of them have failed it can probably be remedied fairly easily. If you could post pics, that would be cool too.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:36 PM   #5
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
Yeah, but when I initially wanted to register mine in NH, Officer Fiendly had to come by and visually verify VIN, verbatim.
Oh, he did?....
Click image for larger version

Name:	Buford T - That Sombitch Censored.png
Views:	2
Size:	682.3 KB
ID:	35421
Old 07-09-2019, 07:44 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Oh, he did?....
Attachment 35421
I can't remember if this was in I or II, but there's a scene where Justice is driving along with his son-in-law at 15 mph in a cop car that they've bent into an A, and he leans forward and wipes at something on the dashboard with a handkerchief. "What's that, daddy?" and Justice answers "speck of fly ****".

Compared to what I still have to do on my bus, most things that I accomplish feel like a speck of fly ****.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:53 PM   #7
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I can't remember if this was in I or II, but there's a scene where Justice is driving along with his son-in-law at 15 mph in a cop car that they've bent into an A, and he leans forward and wipes at something on the dashboard with a handkerchief. "What's that, daddy?" and Justice answers "speck of fly ****".

Compared to what I still have to do on my bus, most things that I accomplish feel like a speck of fly ****.
It was Part II... right after "The world's biggest game of chicken" in the desert.

And at least you've got a bus. I won't be in a position to even really look at one anytime soon. Only reason I looked at this Saf-T-Liner was I thought maybe I could do some horse trading.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:55 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
VIN number should be on the title.
Unfortunately, I don't have that at the moment... it's missing (albeit at home, but still...)
Old 07-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #9
Traveling

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't have that at the moment... it's missing (albeit at home, but still...)
As HM said, visual verification on the vehicle may be required for certain paperwork anyways.... Somb*tches...
Old 07-09-2019, 07:59 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
You've seen this, I hope: https://icsw.nhtsa.gov/people/injury.../carpenterbus/

Unlike most modern buses which are built from a single bent piece of hat channel that forms the roof and both walls, Carpenters relied on a complex welded structure that joined separate wall and roof members. In buses built at the Mitchell plant (like yours, unfortunately) these welds were very prone to failure, not even in accidents but just from everyday usage.

When you demo your bus, it would certainly be a good idea to inspect those welds. If any of them have failed it can probably be remedied fairly easily. If you could post pics, that would be cool too.
THANK YOU! I have just started tearing down ceiling panels right now. The good news is that my dad is a fabricator and will assist if this is the case. But WOW I had NO idea! Thank goodness you saw this thread!!
Old 07-09-2019, 08:03 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
THANK YOU! I have just started tearing down ceiling panels right now. The good news is that my dad is a fabricator and will assist if this is the case. But WOW I had NO idea! Thank goodness you saw this thread!!
Broken welds will be easy to spot, but you also might want to take pics of apparently healthy ones and post them to /r/Welding on reddit for feedback. Those guys are pros and they can tell an awful lot about welds just from looking at pictures of them. They might even have some insights into what the fundamental problem with Mitchell Carpenters might have been.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:43 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
From my '87 IH, look under the hood, "passenger" side firewall. Sticker was "vertical" for whatever reason.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:51 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
From my '87 IH, look under the hood, "passenger" side firewall. Sticker was "vertical" for whatever reason.
Thank you! Do you happen to have a photo? I looked under the hood on both the driver's and passenger's sides and couldn't locate it. I looked for it for 10 minutes under the hood... super frustrating.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:00 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
I hope this doesn't happen to me... I wouldn't begin to know where this is. Hopefully the officer does! lol
Old 07-09-2019, 11:03 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
I hope this doesn't happen to me... I wouldn't begin to know where this is. Hopefully the officer does! lol
I laughed when the officer showed up a half hour after I called in a VIN verifivation. I hand him the form I've already filled out except the VIN which was in his section of the form. He said "Where's the VIN tag.? I say" I think it here's in the front left, Nope, maybe on the wall in the door area, Nope. Wait what's this tag? Nope Body info. Ah Heck just take it off my insurance card." Him "Ok." and I read it to him.

Then Vt. said they didn't need the VIN verification
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:39 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

Still cannot find this sucker. Help!!
Old 08-06-2019, 04:45 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Try checking the frame rails. One of mine had the last 8 of the vin on the frame.
If all else fails they sell a number/letter punch kit at harbor freight and you can buy a blank data plate online or make your own... just saying... if all else fails...
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpenter, international, vin