Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2018, 12:48 PM   #1
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 164
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtrans
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 20 (9 window handicap)
WA state trip permit

Okay, so I was doing the research on a trip permit to transport my bus home. I asked my home state Colorado, and they said they won't do it till its in the state, get it from whatever DMV you are getting the bus from.

WA state has a $25 3 day trip permit, but you can only buy 3 per 30 day period. The kicker is, there is also a self issue program you can signup for online with the state, and you can self issue yourself a permit. You basically need the vin, the plate number (I put in 00000 since it doesn't have a plate), and a weight. Since I don't have a picture of the GVWR tag, and the seller didn't bother to answer that question I will have to guess on that one (not even sure if they want the actual vehicle weight or the gross weight rating).

This will be really slick for me and save me a stop at the DMV.

After i get back to Colorado, I have to get a dyno emission test, a VIN inspection (can be done at the emission station) and a certified scale slip. The trip permit will expire before I can do that, so I may just buy a second WA state permit to get that done. They are giving you permission to operate an unlicensed or unregistered vehicle on WA state roads, but with reciprocity every state recognizes every other states quirky laws like that (Like the states that don't issue titles on old vehicles, the states that don't issue trailer plates for light trailers etc). At least I am assuming they do. Probably wouldn't be very plausible to do this if you aren't even close to WA state, and its not on your journey, but could be plausible for someone on the west coast who wants to try to be legal.

Has anyone else done the online WA trip permit, if so my question would be, does it generate something that you can tape in the back window that looks official?

Tigerman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #2
Bus Geek
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 6,398
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have done the WA trip permit Online.

The form that it generates is the same as what you get if you go to a licensing office. I believe that you also have a couple of dollars if you do it online vs a typical licensing office.

Most of them are private companies that contract with the state and charge an agency fee.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.