Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2024, 05:00 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas (Thomas Vista)
Chassis: International 3600
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 60
What did you say to the insurance agent

Getting all my paperwork sorted (school system messed up my title) so once that's sorted I'll be getting the bus title converted to a Motorhome then it'll be insured and tagged. How did you go about telling your insurance company? Because I know they'll want a description more than likely. Do I just say a custom RV on an International 3600 chassis? Just looking to hear how that went for you folks.

Malevolence4845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 05:54 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Tell them as little as possible, if they ask you a question don't lie, answer it, but don't be overly forth coming with details.

Don't mention it has a deck if it has one unless asked directly.

I told mine that I have an old school bus I've converted to an RV and will be titled as one, This is the first thing I stated because it tells them in their mind, "Oh government signed off on it as an RV, okay, no problem we can insure it."

They'll want to see a picture of it, so be ready to text one to them. Good to have pics pre-deck if you plan on putting one on. Many once they see the deck don't want to insure it.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 06:27 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Vehicle insurance contracts generally include language about "undisclosed risks" voiding and/or annulling the policy (with an annulment at least you get all your paid premiums refunded). Lying to or withholding information from your insurer might get you a policy so that you can at least drive around legally, but in a scenario where you actually need your insurance to pay a claim you will likely find yourself holding the bag.

My insurer (Allstate) requested and received pics of my bus with all the seats removed (what they were mainly looking for) but that clearly showed it was a school bus, and they were fully aware that my bus was registered in Vermont despite my residence in Pennsylvania - no lying or withholding of any kind was required. They were also quite clear about no roof decks and no wood stoves (only one of which I actually wanted to have).
Old 02-15-2024, 04:41 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 12V 5.9
My agent asked no questions, no pics. Registered as a Ford B700 Motorhome, in Georgia.

The agent will likely have no experience with skoolies, and you need to hit their four red flags right out of the gate: 'Professionally converted, no rooftop deck, roof raise, or wood heat.'

IMO the critical part to demonstrate would be the electrical install.

You'll want documentation of professional assistance in the design and build out of your system as it can cause the most liability to others if it goes up in smoke.
La Camioneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 08:35 AM   #5
Almost There

My bus is as of now, a shell. I just need insurance to get it tagged so I can move it around town freely. Tag office accepted my paperwork and I should be getting my new title in the mail but I have enough printed material from them to go through with insurance. Just going to tell the agent, haven't added appliances or anything, just insulation, sleeping area and secured storage area's. I can live with just liability for now, and I can get better later on and keep appropriate documents on the work done...yada yada yada legal jargon haha..I'm surprised how relatively smoothly the tag office visits were.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:36 AM   #6
Almost There

My bus is as of now, a shell. I just need insurance to get it tagged so I can move it around town freely. Tag office accepted my paperwork and I should be getting my new title in the mail but I have enough printed material from them to go through with insurance. Just going to tell the agent, haven't added appliances or anything, just insulation, sleeping area and secured storage area's and will hope for best. What do you pay if I may ask?
Old 02-15-2024, 08:41 AM   #7
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitis View Post
Tell them as little as possible, if they ask you a question don't lie, answer it, but don't be overly forth coming with details.

Don't mention it has a deck if it has one unless asked directly.
My bus is as of now, a shell. I just need insurance to get it tagged so I can move it around town freely. Tag office accepted my paperwork and I should be getting my new title in the mail but I have enough printed material from them to go through with insurance. Just going to tell the agent, haven't added appliances or anything, just insulation, sleeping area and secured storage area's. I'm going to try a local agent I know, and maybe USAA but we'll see, lying will do me little good long term so I'll just tell them whats happening and I'll name local businesses that I've got ties to for help with plumbing, electrical, etc etc.
Old 02-15-2024, 12:34 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 12V 5.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malevolence4845 View Post
My bus is as of now, a shell. I just need insurance to get it tagged so I can move it around town freely. Tag office accepted my paperwork and I should be getting my new title in the mail but I have enough printed material from them to go through with insurance. Just going to tell the agent, haven't added appliances or anything, just insulation, sleeping area and secured storage area's and will hope for best. What do you pay if I may ask?
I can't remember sorry. It's on a separate RV policy.
La Camioneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 12:51 PM   #9
Almost There

It's all good. Agent said they needed to call the main office to verify how they label it but other than that they seemed pretty receptive and not too worried about getting it insured. So here's hoping it goes smooth.
Old 02-19-2024, 11:52 AM   #10
Almost There

Pretty simple

Quote:
Getting all my paperwork sorted (school system messed up my title) so once that's sorted I'll be getting the bus title converted to a Motorhome then it'll be insured and tagged. How did you go about telling your insurance company? Because I know they'll want a description more than likely. Do I just say a custom RV on an International 3600 chassis? Just looking to hear how that went for you folks.
So that was pretty easy, I went with State Farm. Just verified it had no seats, no school markings and that it was not yellow. Agent said she would forward me the policy and stipulations for insurance adjustment down the road when stuff gets added (Kitchen, appliances, water system etc etc.) I'll post more on what I find in it when I get a chance to read it. Knock on wood this whole Title, and Insurance has not been a total nightmare, not straightforward but for what I'm doing I'd say it's a reasonable amount of hurtle jumping. Next stop tag office again, to actually apply for the tag, may go for one like this.
Attached Thumbnails
BW_Large.jpg  
Old 02-20-2024, 09:04 AM   #11
Almost There

Tagged

Quote:
Next stop tag office again, to actually apply for the tag, may go for one like this.
They did not have the tag I liked in stock, so I'll order one next year but....bus is tagged and road legal so that'll make getting material easier. Less loading it on to my 20ft trailer, coming home just to move it into the bus. Now straight into the bus it goes. I'll also be hauling off stuff from the demo and running my bus across the scales, I'm curious about my new empty weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Taggedcensored.jpg  
Old 02-20-2024, 05:28 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
We need to have meet up sometime. I'm in Center North area of South Carolina. My bus isn't registered. I've been driving it on the road without a registration as if I just bought the bus. I've only driven it for repair purposes so far, no fun trips, I figured if I get pulled over I'll just show the cops that I just rescued the bus and plan to register it, and have been taking it back and forth to a shop to get it repaired and worth registering. I can show them the purchase agreement and state I just purchased it.

The cops here understand that situation usually. And if not, still worth the risk for me.

Once I'm registered we should do a meetup, but if you are in the Southern Charlotte area ever, let me know.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:12 AM   #13
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitis View Post
We need to have meet up sometime. I'm in Center North area of South Carolina.
Once I'm registered we should do a meetup, but if you are in the Southern Charlotte area ever, let me know.
Sounds like a plan to me! If you're ever in the Chattanooga, Tn area shoot me a message. I'm planning on going to the Marion/Sumter Nat. park one day soon when my rig is half way presentable.
Old 02-21-2024, 03:50 PM   #14

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Transstar
Chassis: E450
Engine: V10
Rated Cap: 16
Insurance

Quote:
I just told my company that I had a e450 bus that I was gutting it they wanted pics so I sent them with no seats and they insured mine as a rv.
Jimmanow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 03:59 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Busless for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmanow View Post
I just told my company that I had a e450 bus that I was gutting it they wanted pics so I sent them with no seats and they insured mine as a rv.
What company and in what state, please?

I see Ohio, now
Kentucky Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 04:05 PM   #16
Almost There

Mine is State Farm in Georgia, I preemptively changed my title over so that wouldn't be a sticking point in the insurance process.