Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2021, 11:14 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Coachwork?
Chassis: International
Engine: CAT 3208 Marine Diesel
What Pennington County is Looking For (SD RV reg. standards)?

I have 3 weeks before I want to leave for my trip to the Black Rock Desert, and I have just removed the fiberglass.

Unless I can prep and spray foam by the end of this week, I will have to postpone spray foam till after the trip, and put up cheap panels as a temporary measure. Thinking of buying half inch sheets of foam board, hotgluing them up (foil side up), and then spray paint white using the tall cans of Rust-Oleum.

I plan on throwing together a spartan build to meet the minimum requirements to be classified as an RV, I need to know what South Dakota's minimum requirements are. This is to get my plates so I can make our trip happen inside Inner Love, and not another vehicle.

I'll be registering through America's Mailbox, and PMB and Account is reactivated and ready to go, so no delays there. I already talked with the registration experts at AM, and recieved this:

1. Bus cannot be painted yellow.
2. All bus seats must be removed.
3. General purpose affidavit- Explaining everything they have done to convert it into an RV. As for Approving if enough was done to be considered an RV I do not determine that here,.. I turn it into the State with the affidavit stating what has been done.
4. Weight Ticket.

It takes approx 2-3 weeks for the reg. process, assuming everything is in order. I need to know what they're looking for so I maximize my chances for zero delays.

Inner Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 03:36 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Coachwork?
Engine: CAT 3208 Marine Diesel
Basically:
-Who has registered their skoolie as an RV in SD within the last 4 years? Was your build basic and spartan, slapped together looking or did it look more refined? What are SDs legal requirements to pass as an RV? I don’t want to miss a checkbox because I didn’t have their list.

-Other than what I’ve done to make it an RV, what else do they want to read in my written affidavit?

Mod request: please change thread title to “Is there a South Dakota RV Registration Checklist?”
Inner Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:59 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
It's pretty much the same in every state with few exceptions. You need 4 of the following 6 features. Your choice of which 4.
1 “cooking”
2 “refrigeration or ice box”
3 “self-contained toilet”
4 “heating and/or air conditioning”
5 “potable water supply system including a faucet and sink”
6 “separate 110-125 volt electrical power supply and/or LP gas supply”
Old 07-28-2021, 10:19 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
I live in Pennington County but have no idea what the requirements are to retitle. I thought I would tackle that after the conversion is finished.

Your best bet would be to call the Pennington County Treasure Office as they handle vehicle title transfers and registration. I'm not sure that you be able to do this by mail or will have to appear in person. Also they may ask for some proof of SD residency.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:32 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas Saf T Liner
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3126B/Allison 3060
Rated Cap: 71
Pennington County - SD registration

So SD requires 5 out of the list in order to be considered and registered as a Motor home. Here is the link to the converted motorcar or required registration form. https://sddor.seamlessdocs.com/f/1017

If this is not right, please correct me. We were looking at getting licensed in SD (i have a SD license and we are members of Americas Mailbox) but have since decided to go the VT route as it's cheaper, doesn't require the hoops (5 items done) and photographs showing the conversion is done. SD charges based on weight and you could potentially be looking at double what VT charges for 2 years of registration for just 1 year in SD. Just my thoughts. Good luck and let us know how it works for you.
Crystal
Jonathancrystal08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:14 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Or go the Vermont Route and have your conversion done the easy way. Submit some paperwork, pay sales tax, and get your motor home plates. Then take that and register in your state as a motor home, using the registration from VT. Easy peasy.
If you have no need to move the vehicle prior to getting the things your state requires installed, go ahead and wait. Ours was converted to a motor home via VT, cost us a lot less than installing "temp junk" to get a sign off, and we can drive it under motor home regulations. Works for us, it's not for everyone.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pennington county, registration, requirements, south dakota