Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2020, 04:49 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: 3800 series
Engine: DT360, Spicer 5 speed manual
Rated Cap: 72
What to register the bus as please help thx :)

I have a 93 international school bus I am converting down the road its upnorth about 4.5 hours away it's still yellow so the dmv wants it a different color I know all about it. I'm in Wisconsin I was wondering if anyone here knew if I could register it as a bus but for non commercial use like maybe a charter I read. So i could drive it back and forth with insurance and plates on it even tho it would probably only be for a year. I have no other choice really do I? It would be driven from a storage unit to home after driving that long distance home. I dont think it would be wise driving it home without insurance on the vehicle right? Please let me know because it's still yellow I dont know what else to do and I cant paint it upnorth. But I do have the vehicle titled under my name just not registered with plates. Thx

Kenny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:01 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Everything varies very widely by state, put yours in the title when asking for advice.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/howto-find-insurance-for-your-state-28907.html

A temporary insurance policy good enough to get home should be very easy, call your agent.

In case your state makes registration difficult
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/h...ion-15292.html

Out of curiosity, how / where did you get it titled already?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:17 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Bus titled in Wisconsin

The DMV here in Wisconsin told me to bring them the old title and have me fill out their form for title transfer and all they made me pay taxes on it and only asked what color it was and I said yellow they didnt question it too much after going there plenty of times to get it registered for me I finally found the old title and filled out the form so now the title says body style: bus, chassis type: truck color: yellow. I do not know what it said previously as i do not remember and then it says additional vehicle info: basic vehicle 1993 INTL
Old 04-26-2020, 05:50 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Even though it’s not allowed I drove mine around California with its beautiful unblemished yellow color for a few months. I noticed a glance from the CHP one time but I never got pulled over. It all depends on where you are. Regardless of color, the less you look like a school bus the better; no signs, no stop sign.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:03 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Yes basically it's just yellow, no stop sign, no crossing stick, and the words school bus and school name is all taped over the guy I got it from removed the strobe from it and the red wig wags are there still that's it though probably just pull a fuse for that I'm guessing so it doesnt work for now.

Tags
help me, registering, registrastion, wisconsin