Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2021, 09:19 PM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Chevrolet
Chassis: CT3
Engine: 6.5L diesel
Hi Blueman, thank you for the response. I’ll reach out to them and see what I get.

ArmyRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:44 PM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

I've heard getting insurance on schoolies is one of the toughest things to do. Glad to atleast try to help ya out. American family was the only insurance company who would insure my bus so hopefully you'll have the same experience too. Best wishes
Blueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:50 AM   #43

I got mine through https://progressivecommercial.com . I have a 1995 International 3800 Blue Bird with all of the seats removed. I have a perfect driving record and have had continuous insurance for as many years as I can remember and I was quoted aprox. $700.00 per year. I ended up adding my other car to my commercial quote and the bus ended up only costing me an extra $80 yearly than I was already paying. Make sure you select for personal use only. Way cheaper than I was expecting!
JoeCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:21 PM   #44

I forgot to mention that I live in South Carolina and that my bus is still titled as a bus.
JoeCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:16 PM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

I reached out to a local insurance broker (Mintz Insurance Agency) and I was able to get insurance coverage as MH through Progressive. I hope this information would be helpful to some.
Old 09-23-2021, 03:18 PM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Hi JoeCT, Thank you for the info. My Skoolie is registered as MH here in Prescott AZ. It wasn’t difficult to get a Level 1 inspection and now I can have peace of mind that Progressive coverage is good.
Old 09-23-2021, 04:16 PM   #47
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
State Farm has taken care of me since the beginning.
First I had "commercial vehicle for personal use".
Then when I got my bus registered as a motor home, they changed the policy and cover it as such.
I pay less then $100 a year now for basic liability coverage.
Old 09-23-2021, 04:32 PM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

That’s cool. Can’t beat that rate. I’ll stick with Progressive for now and see how this goes. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2021, 05:16 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRunner View Post
That’s cool. Can’t beat that rate. I’ll stick with Progressive for now and see how this goes. Thanks.
Let us know how that goes. It's interesting because Progressive quit insuring Skoolies as of last year. Those who were on monthly policies got canceled, those of us who paid for the year up front were not renewed at end of term. They may insure it as a commercial for personal use, but would be surprised if it's an actual MH policy.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:19 PM   #50
Mini-Skoolie

o1marc, I got MH coverage through progressive here in Prescott AZ. It even says “2001 Chevrolet Converted mini school bus” on the policy. I took the higher rate coverage cuz my Skoolie is a tad older and temperamental. Not sure if you want to reach out to the agent I spoke to. His name is Blake and has been doing this for 35 yrs. mailto:Mintzagency@gmail.com I don’t get any commission on referring people. I’m just trying to help our community given that a lot of us struggle finding an insurance company that would cover our self converted rig. Thanks
Old 09-23-2021, 06:41 PM   #51
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRunner View Post
o1marc, I got MH coverage through progressive here in Prescott AZ. It even says ď2001 Chevrolet Converted mini school busĒ on the policy. I took the higher rate coverage cuz my Skoolie is a tad older and temperamental. Not sure if you want to reach out to the agent I spoke to. His name is Blake and has been doing this for 35 yrs. mailto:Mintzagency@gmail.com I donít get any commission on referring people. Iím just trying to help our community given that a lot of us struggle finding an insurance company that would cover our self converted rig. Thanks
Does it say MH, or motorhome on the policy? No need to reach out, I'm with State Farm and have never had an issue gaining insurance. Progressive gave them selves a bad name last year jerking a lot of people around. Personally I would not deal with Progressive again, they are the worst when it comes to a claim. I had to sue them and set a trial date before they finally gave up after 4 months.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:05 PM   #52
Mini-Skoolie

Yes. It says motor home policy. I sincerely hope that Progressive has gotten better and I don’t get to a point that I have to sue. Fingers crossed that one year would lapse without any drama…and the adventure continues…
Old 05-19-2022, 09:00 AM   #53
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Chevy Kodiak
Engine: 3126B
Rated Cap: 27K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
State Farm has taken care of me since the beginning.
First I had "commercial vehicle for personal use".
Then when I got my bus registered as a motor home, they changed the policy and cover it as such.
I pay less then $100 a year now for basic liability coverage.
Yup, State Farm "Farms out". They offered me rock bottom liability for $37 a year @ 2,000 miles usage. I'm going with 1 million liability blanket for $67.05 per year. They are using the Mutual Company for insurer.
Tin Roadtube Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:36 PM   #54
Mini-Skoolie

Hello friends
Could someone help me with insurance for a small school bus in massachusetts?
Woodrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 03:20 PM   #55
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Chevy Kodiak
Engine: 3126B
Rated Cap: 27K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrunk View Post
Hello friends
Could someone help me with insurance for a small school bus in massachusetts?
You may want to approach your current policy holder. I have three other vehicles and a home on the same policy. Generally, the more you pay out on multiple the better your overall price becomes.
Tin Roadtube Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:05 AM   #56
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Roadtube Vagrant View Post
You may want to approach your current policy holder. I have three other vehicles and a home on the same policy. Generally, the more you pay out on multiple the better your overall price becomes.
We got insured, commercial one, but itís ok for now
Thank you all
Woodrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:44 PM   #57

I have been looking everywhere to get my 30 foot bus insured in florida while I convert it. Progressive, statefarm, and allstate all said NO. I do not really know what to do at this point. I have called and talked to multiple people at progressive and even pointed out that there are a lot of people that say they are insured through them and they say that is not true.
Nicholas2010e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 10:58 AM   #58

Insurance issues

I have been looking for insurance so that I can get the title to my bus changed and can not find anyone that will insure it because it is for personal use. Has anyone else encountered this issue and what did you do to get insurance.
Bethania is offline   Reply With Quote