Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Why bother re-titling?

I just bought a bus with a GVWR of 25,500lbs. My insurance, which is only liability (but at the $50k/$100k level) is only $126 per year. It is titled as a bus, and that is how the insurance has it listed. In Texas I don't need a CDL due to being under the 26,000lb threshold.

So is there any reason for me to consider re-titling as an RV?

Thanks!

viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Why bother re-titling?

What Mac said. You'll be better off going RV, if you plan on driving aroung the country. A lot of different state laws along with fedral commercial laws, you might now be aware of. Drove my old Vette to Cali a few years back. Got pulled over for tinted back window, only one outside mirror and tires outside the fenderwells. (It came stock with only one outside mirror) Even with out of state plates, I was fined and told if I stayed in the state more than 30 days, I would be fined again and vehicle had to be brought to state standards (Including emissions) I won't even get into the story of bringing up that we were fellow LEO's. That got ugly, and yes sometimes we still ride horses here. Little CHP P***k.
Anyway ignorance of another states laws will not get you by. Cover your butt and go RV. The laws are a lot laxer and it could benefit you in the end.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
In Texas I don't need a CDL due to being under the 26,000lb threshold.
RVs are exempted from the CDL requirement by Federal law, though some states require endorsements for heavy/long RVs.
If it is legally an RV, and your TX license is good for it, you should be relatively hassle-free passing through anywhere.

(There are a percentage of LEO's that, disappointed they can't write you for what they thought they could, will find ANYTHING wrong to justify their time spent with you. One ex-trucker who ran a squeaky-clean rig told of being written up in CT for not having WHITE sheets in his sleeper cab as per state law. DOH!)
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

What kind of brakes do you have? This can be a deal breaker making the RV plates much more appetizing.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:24 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

I would believe that unless it is titled as an RV you would be subject to annual inspections and DOT roadside checks, just not weigh stations since busses dont have to cross scales. You will also need a CDL no matter what the weight is, anything that is over 15 passengers requires one with the P endorsement. This is why alot of churches use a few 15 pass vans rather than one bus on trips.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

GVWR is irrelevant on a bus: ANYTHING that seats 16 or more people is a bus and requires a CDL, tyhe only significance the 26,000lb cutoff has is whether you need a class B or C licence. (The OP's bus would require a class C.)
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 19

Well Ive got two questions.

1. What insurance company only costs $126 per year??

2. I was told by my father who drove a school bus for the school system in PA. back in the 80's that I would not need a CDL. Also my cousin just got his CDL in 2009 and told me its based on weight. Now I am questioning wether my 19 pass. short bus requires a CDL. Its under 10,000lbs. and about 20-25 ft long. I bought it from a salvage yard in NJ and test drove it and then drove it home to upstate NY, however the knowledgable staff at the salvage yard never mentioned a CDL. What do you guys think??
zman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

16 or more seats (including driver) requires a CDL. Period, be it a 45,000lb or a 6500lb GVWR. Under 26K, you need a class C, over you need a class B. If you can somehow have it retitled as a van or truck, you MAY be able to get around this...I don't know the laws in Jersey. The safest thing to do: remove 5 seats.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote