Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2018, 09:23 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Why did you have insurance issues?

Sorry if this is a rehashed topic. 1st newbie question from me, of which there are likely to be many. Please bear with me.

I've seen a handful of "I couldn't get insurance" or "My insurance was cancelled" in threads.

Why? What are the reasons stated? Driving record? DUI/DWI in recent history? Insurance carrier didn't know how to handle a conversion? Specific state laws that weren't met to qualify?

Some well known carriers specifically advertise RV insurance.

So the question isn't "Is it difficult to get" the question is, what were the reasons cited for denial or cancellation?

Thanks for any insight offered.
rb

rhbcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbcub View Post
Sorry if this is a rehashed topic. 1st newbie question from me, of which there are likely to be many. Please bear with me.

I've seen a handful of "I couldn't get insurance" or "My insurance was cancelled" in threads.

Why? What are the reasons stated? Driving record? DUI/DWI in recent history? Insurance carrier didn't know how to handle a conversion? Specific state laws that weren't met to qualify?

Some well known carriers specifically advertise RV insurance.

So the question isn't "Is it difficult to get" the question is, what were the reasons cited for denial or cancellation?

Thanks for any insight offered.
rb
USAA - I think they said they don't do RVs and my bus is already titled as an RV in Oregon.

Progressive- you took the seats out.

National General - it's not converted yet. this took days for them to get back to me. They wanted pictures.

AAA- it's over 26000# GVWR so even if it were an RV they wouldn't cover it.

I'm not saying any of these people were actually right. It's entirely possible if someone else called they would get a different answer.

I live in NV. It's based on my address and it's pricy here.

I have one ticket *with no points* on my license maybe 3 years ago and no accidents in over 5 years. maybe over 10? I don't remember. I have NEVER gotten a DUI or anything like that.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:45 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
USAA - I think they said they don't do RVs and my bus is already titled as an RV in Oregon.

Progressive- you took the seats out.

National General - it's not converted yet. this took days for them to get back to me. They wanted pictures.

AAA- it's over 26000# GVWR so even if it were an RV they wouldn't cover it.

I'm not saying any of these people were actually right. It's entirely possible if someone else called they would get a different answer.

I live in NV. It's based on my address and it's pricy here.

I have one ticket *with no points* on my license maybe 3 years ago and no accidents in over 5 years. maybe over 10? I don't remember. I have NEVER gotten a DUI or anything like that.
Thanks 2martins.
rhbcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:49 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbcub View Post
Thanks 2martins.
One of them also said they wouldn't insure any non professionally done conversions. which is ridiculous because who is a pro? there are a handful of people that have done some for themselves and now do them for others.

Once it's finished I've read people have trouble with wood stoves or roof racks.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:10 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
USAA will not insure anything that weighs more than 10,000 pounds, that's what they told me when I tried to insure my 12 seat international van
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote