Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2022, 04:43 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 85505
Engine: Cat 3126B 210 hp Allison mt643 transmission
Rated Cap: 78 passengers
Why I went the Vermont method

So the state I currently live in unfortunately being Illinois, as some of you know is a pain and hassle to get your skoolie registered and titled. I went in one week they said ok unfortunately all you need is these 3 forms done and you will be good to go. I asked if they were sure a couple of times and one of the other workers chimed in and confirmed the 3 forms and told me why. I said very well thank you. So a week later I go in with the 3 forms done, and they said no again that I had to go through more paperwork and obstacles one of which made no sense at all which would have had me track down the seller again, and I lost it in the DMV on them. I called them out on it and blatantly said why didn't you tell me this a week ago when I was in here the last time why couldn't I get all the correct information up front all at once why are you adding all these other obstacles when I come in after you said I would be good to go last week. If you don't want to do the work just say so and tell me to go kick rocks but don't sit there and lie to me and give me the run around with some false information.

So I looked up the details of it and went the glorious Vermont method of mail in registration. So much easier I just wish I had known about it sooner. No residency required didn't have to drive there and it was significantly cheaper than Illinois. Forms were minimal and easy to fill out with instructions. It is glorious to have states like Vermont. Also the plates actually good for 1 to 2 years depending on which you choose to pay for versus Illinois where they're only good to new Year's Eve of that year and they charge you in the triple digits for it all. I was tempted to get a vanity plate as an option that said FUIL. LMAO....I now recommend the Vermont method to about everyone that asks.

Justinb.jackson903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 10:59 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: International DT408
I think the "Vermont Method" is an excellent way to get your bus titled as a motorhome, but I just caution people that most states it's "illegal" in that state's vehicle codes to title/register and drive your vehicle in a state other than the one you reside in primarily. Law enforcement may not care, but if they see tags/plates in a state other than the one your driver's license is in, they may give you trouble.

The Vermont Method is, however, excellent at initially getting your bus titled as a motorhome if your home state is crappy like IL, then going to your home DMV with your new Vermont motorhome title and simply asking to register your vehicle there. No hoops to jump through for "converting" the title, just a simple registration. Sure, it costs extra to go this method, but is the easiest and sometimes only option for some folks.

Best of luck to you!
Phreqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 11:01 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah I got my plates and paperwork in it's awesome
Old 07-22-2022, 11:24 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
people have been doing the vermont method for years on classic cars and ive not heard of anyone being bugged by Law enforcement.. although im sure states that have large quantities of stolen vehicles like california and florida might pay closer attention..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 11:30 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Either way from state to state the laws vary but you usually have a grace period for changing the registration and all over to your home state for some this is basically a bypass to having to jump through hoops and do the little monkey dance for the grinder so that you can get a piece of paper from the government to say you can drive it...eitherway as soon as my repairs are done I'm taking it out on the road as a full timer and work on it as I travel
Old 07-22-2022, 04:22 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreqq View Post
....I just caution people that most states it's "illegal" in that state's vehicle codes to title/register and drive your vehicle in a state other than the one you reside in primarily.
YEP it's illegal here in Oregon to not change over the title and registration within 30 days.
OH MY IT'S ILLEGAL GASP>>>>>>
Oh wait, the "Penalty" is $25 bucks no matter how long you were here? LOL I'll save that much in a couple months just on the difference in registration fees......
We're 17 months into ours and those green VT plates have been sitting in the driveway for about 15 of them without anyone batting an eye. And we live in the city.

So yes, it's likely illegal to keep the VT plates past a certain (usually short) period of time...... but check on what the penalty for no compliance is. Here in Oregon, it's a joke.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 03:28 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
I could not legally register in KY because I had converted the bus title to a motorhome in NH. Had I not converted the title, no problem. The fire marshall on the phone said they couldn't pass me no matter what I did because motorhomes require "original operating equipment", a square peg when it comes to the round hole that is conversions.

Now that we've moved to TN, I might give it another go. Just not a priority.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 11:27 PM   #8

Question about VT Title Recieved

I did this method but the title they sent me still had BUS as the type. What do yours say that have done it successfully? Iím not sure what happened with mine I filled it out to a tee as some other examples I found and wasnít asked to send in any further evidence of my conversion.
TrotTot4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 04:54 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrotTot4 View Post
I did this method but the title they sent me still had BUS as the type. What do yours say that have done it successfully? Iím not sure what happened with mine I filled it out to a tee as some other examples I found and wasnít asked to send in any further evidence of my conversion.
They occasionally screw up and this happens. Call them and get it straightened out.
Old 11-18-2022, 09:50 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
They occasionally screw up and this happens. Call them and get it straightened out.

I'll second this
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dmv registration, illinois, vermont registration