Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2021, 06:12 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
Why Re-title??

I know this is beating a dead horse, but why re-title as a motor home?

The back story: I purchased my bus and got a commercial for personal use policy through State Farm for the duration of my conversion. Coming down to the little finish details, I called them back to get a quote for motor home insurance. I sent them a few photos. They asked for the MSRP of the bus (good luck finding that) and my conversion costs and they wrote me an RV policy.

Prior to that I made an appointment with the DMV to have the bus inspected to re-title it. My appointment is next week and I'm wondering why I need that done, if not for insurance?

Anyone?

peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:47 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I think it depends on your state. In PA, titling and registering a vehicle as a school bus costs a huge amount of money and then insuring it as such also costs a huge amount of money (there's no "commercial for personal use" option here, at least as far as I was able to determine), compared to the costs for titling, registering and insuring a motorhome.

I forget the exact numbers, but I think it was almost $1000/yr to register a 65-passenger bus and then over $2000/yr for the insurance - vs. $76/yr to register it in Vermont and $340/yr for RV insurance.
Old 07-15-2021, 07:19 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
A big reason is that if it is titled as a bus then in many states, even if you are not using it for commercial purposes, you require a commercial driver's license. Motorhomes are exempt in, I think, every state from that requirement.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:59 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
If it passes as an RV with your insurance, there is no reason to retitle it to RV or MH. It would help to do that for resale time to someone from a different state. But not required for your application.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:01 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
A big reason is that if it is titled as a bus then in many states, even if you are not using it for commercial purposes, you require a commercial driver's license. Motorhomes are exempt in, I think, every state from that requirement.
There are still some states that require CDL by weight, regardless whether it is an RV or not. Most states do not require a CDL if there is seating for less than 16 passengers, and is privately owned.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:24 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Here in Texas, I cannot find a real good reason for retitling it to MH. My insurance is $32.00 a month and my license registration is $340 a year. There is a possibility that registration for MH might reduce that cost, but the paperwork might drive you crazy.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:52 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
No way around it here in Wisconsin. You need to retitle it before getting plates. Otherwise you need DOT numbers, commercial liability and all that jazz.

I get that some states make it difficult but retitling as a motorhome is a basic necessity.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:45 PM   #8
Bus Nut

I assumed I would need the re-title prior to getting the MH insurance but that wasn't the case. The MH insurance is a lot more costly than the commercial but that is because I went with full coverage where I had been liability only before. If I had only changed it a week earlier so my tire blowout and related damage had been covered
Old 07-19-2021, 09:12 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Mercedes
Why Register Motorhome vs. Commercial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakbus View Post
I know this is beating a dead horse, but why re-title as a motor home?

The back story: I purchased my bus and got a commercial for personal use policy through State Farm for the duration of my conversion. Coming down to the little finish details, I called them back to get a quote for motor home insurance. I sent them a few photos. They asked for the MSRP of the bus (good luck finding that) and my conversion costs and they wrote me an RV policy.

Prior to that I made an appointment with the DMV to have the bus inspected to re-title it. My appointment is next week and I'm wondering why I need that done, if not for insurance?

Anyone?
Hi, You do not mention your state, but in MI to drive commercial you need CDL lic., also Comm insurance is much higher - thought is you are moving freight or people.
I just bought our bus and have to pick-up yet. My Reg/title through Vermont was $199, for 1 yr and that takes it from bus to RV title (no compliance check). Ran through with customer care at VT DMV and she was very nice-helpful! The insurance is PLPD(no-fault to get it home is $193/yr without multi-policy discount, for now.
So, cost and drivers lic is the short answer-yes,at the end - LOL
SawsSandBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:43 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
There is a list of states in which you would need a CDL (usually a non commercial CDL but sometimes a commercial one) and for those of us with air brakes a special endorsement as well in some states.

Here in Oregon I can't legally drive my 40' pusher if it's a bus unless I have a CDL. But titled as a Motor Home there is no weight restriction or need for an airbrake endorsement.

Re title as MH was a no brainer.
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:30 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Mercedes
Comm vs MH ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
There is a list of states in which you would need a CDL (usually a non commercial CDL but sometimes a commercial one) and for those of us with air brakes a special endorsement as well in some states.

Here in Oregon I can't legally drive my 40' pusher if it's a bus unless I have a CDL. But titled as a Motor Home there is no weight restriction or need for an airbrake endorsement.

Re title as MH was a no brainer.
Yes, same in MI. Working Title via Vermont and Bamm its an RV ! : ) Only item with VT route is time line - you can get a 60day Temp Plate for $6 and mail in paperwork for full plate and drive on temp.
Also, do not want to work on any more certifications then needed.
SawsSandBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:41 PM   #12
Bus Nut

I did it!

I don't think I needed to in Idaho. My bus is short, light and hydraulically braked so none of those issues pertained. I didn't need it to get insurance. I just converted to MH insurance before the re-title and it is more costly than my old policy, but that is because I went full coverage vs. liability only.
The DOT inspector said I would get cheaper entry to campgrounds, but I'd be surprised.
It cost $39 for the inspection and re-title.
So I didn't really need to but sort of a Skoolie Rite of Passage I guess??
One less thing to worry about.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:06 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Cheaper entry to campgrounds.
I highly doubt that.

Access to more campgrounds might be a thing but if they let you in, you're paying for the site you get.
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 03:28 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Commercial vs Motorhome. As a bus it
Would be a commercial bus and subject to all DOT inspections, BIT, Road inspections, do
You have an ELD, drivers log? Drug testing program?
My
Commercial BUS I Surance was over $300/month vs $45/month as a private Motorhome

Cheers.
Dirtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:11 PM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawsSandBox View Post
Hi, You do not mention your state, but in MI to drive commercial you need CDL lic., also Comm insurance is much higher - thought is you are moving freight or people.
I just bought our bus and have to pick-up yet. My Reg/title through Vermont was $199, for 1 yr and that takes it from bus to RV title (no compliance check). Ran through with customer care at VT DMV and she was very nice-helpful! The insurance is PLPD(no-fault to get it home is $193/yr without multi-policy discount, for now.
So, cost and drivers lic is the short answer-yes,at the end - LOL
He is in Idaho according to his address at the top.
shorthair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:16 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtdoctor View Post
Commercial vs Motorhome. As a bus it
Would be a commercial bus and subject to all DOT inspections, BIT, Road inspections, do
You have an ELD, drivers log? Drug testing program?
My
Commercial BUS I Surance was over $300/month vs $45/month as a private Motorhome

Cheers.
In Idaho you can register as a bus for personal use. No commercial BS needed. But now I'm a motor home, so no BS there either.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:41 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: Thomas MPV
Engine: Cummins 6BTAA
Rated Cap: 84
MH or RV status

May not be important to many people but getting a bus into Mexico is real headache if not impossible unless it is titled as a motorhome or RV. With this you have 10 year permit for $65.
powderskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 11:32 AM   #18

Mine is just a bus in Iowa, and I have commercial insurance through progressive ($600 a year for basically full coverage). I do not need to do any DOT stuff like stop at weigh stations or anything because it's for personal use, you only need to do that if you are hauling freight. I also don't need a CDL to drive it (though I don't have air breaks). I do however have my class A CDL since I was a truck driver for 10 years.
Hiltsbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 05:42 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderskier View Post
May not be important to many people but getting a bus into Mexico is real headache if not impossible unless it is titled as a motorhome or RV. With this you have 10 year permit for $65.
That is the closet thing I've read to a solid reason for me. Thanks for the justification!
Actually, the process wasn't hard, The wait at the DMV was the worst part.