Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2019, 02:21 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Unhappy Will the law requiring a 2010 or newer engine in California by 2023 affect Skoolies?

In my research I've come across this page, and I'll paste some of the relevant text here for you. Seems worrying.. Thoughts?

Quote:
[...] by January 1, 2023, nearly all trucks and buses will be required to have 2010 or newer model year engines [...]
Quote:
[...] starting in 2020, only vehicles compliant with this regulation will be registered by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) [...]

WLRoadScholars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:31 AM   #2
Skoolie

Did you read and understand this page (from your link)

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdie...sschoolbus.pdf
Old 11-10-2019, 04:38 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Did you read and understand this page
What I'm not sure about in that document is their definition of a school bus, will that definition still apply when we register it as a motor home, I wonder? It was designed as a school bus, but will not be used or maintained as a school bus. Hmm.

Quote:
The regulation defines school bus as defined in California Vehicle Code (CVC), section 545, “a “school bus” is a motor vehicle designed, used, or maintained for the transportation of any school pupil [...]
I'm not well up on the regulations yet, which is why I'm asking, forgive me if I'm missing important info

- Andrew
WLRoadScholars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:56 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLRoadScholars View Post
What I'm not sure about in that document is their definition of a school bus, will that definition still apply when we register it as a motor home, I wonder? It was designed as a school bus, but will not be used or maintained as a school bus. Hmm.

I'm not well up on the regulations yet, which is why I'm asking, forgive me if I'm missing important info

- Andrew
How is it even a school bus when it's not used for commercial purposes or transporting "pupils"? It can ONLY be a "school" bus when being used for what's called an educational institution.
The solution is simple though just get out of cali and you don't have to deal with their laws OR register it in another state and exempt it from calis insane laws.
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:32 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevy 3500
Engine: 5.7
Rated Cap: 9+4
I spoke with the dmv(who was clueless) and then I called the state BAR And spoke to a very nice gentleman who simple asked is it over 14k lbs . I said yes and he said your good. The only time a vehicle over 14k lbs would need to be smogged is if it’s a gasoline engine. Title must be convert to motorhome/housecar by vin verifier or chip if brought in from out of state. I’m still trying to get insurance and roadside for my trip home and having a very hard time.
BUS2SLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:36 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
that law only applies to vehicles in commercial use
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote