Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2020, 07:07 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: Caterpillar 3126B
Rated Cap: 66
Y'all are Awesome!!!

We're driving from Indiana to Florida this weekend to look at a bus that we're buying as long as the mechanical and DOT inspection don't turn up any issues tomorrow morning. So yesterday I called my insurance company (I have 4 vehicles with them) and just got looped back into the system countless times after telling me that they don't insure school busses. Then I stopped into a State Farm office and got the same thing from their underwriters.

So last night I scanned the forum, got the tip "Ask to insure a Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use" and a quick search showed that Progressive is a good company to start with. Inside of 15 minutes I had a policy lined up that will get me home without risking financial ruin. If the bus is a "go" after in-person inspection, all I have to do is make a phone call and I'm insured.

This page was helpful: What does Progressive NOT Insure? https://www.progressivecommercial.co...do-not-insure/

All that to say, "thank you for being here!" I've been a member of online communities since the early 1980's and it's always been the best resource. Forums have seemed to fall mostly by the wayside in the age of social media, but I have to say, forums are still my favorite form of social media.

CoffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:00 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Just don't mention converting the bus to progressive, they will not insure conversions
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:04 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Chassis: All American RE
Engine: Caterpillar 3126B
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
Just don't mention converting the bus to progressive, they will not insure conversions
I told them that I would be doing something like that eventually, but it was years down the road, which is true! I'll have the bus at our home (some of my friends call it "the compound") parked next to the woodshop for the present, and eventually I'll move it into the barn (need to make room first). I figure it will be at least 3 years before we can hit the road full time, that gives us plenty of time to work on our project.
CoffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote