Originally Posted by debit.servus
What is your average cost to keep your big skoolie drivetrain mechanically sound per year?
'98 Blue Bird All American:
MONTHLY OR 1,000 MILES
• Grease safety barrier latch on Braun wheelchair lift.
• Lubricate roof hatch weatherseals & lock mechanisms.
• Inspect all emergency equipment mounting fasteners.
• Lubricate window latches and slides.
• Lubricate hinge pin on entrance doors.
• Lubricate pivot points on outward opening door.
• Check/adjust roller bracket and control rod bracket on jackknife door.
• Check/adjust air pressure in power jackknife door.
• Inspect outer fasteners and lubricate electric stop arms.
• Check air filter.
• Lubricate rear emergency door positive hold open hinge.
MONTHLY OR 3,000 MILES
• Check fuel system (Drain fuel and contaminants, if required).
• Check battery water level.
• Inspect brake chambers.
• Inspect manual transmission fluid level.
• Inspect clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder.
• Inspect Ridewell air suspension.
• Adjust shoe-type brakes.
3 MONTHS OR 3,000 MILES
• Inspect fire extinguisher to see if fully charged.
• Check first aid kits to see if fully equipped.
• Oil all hinges and window latches for ease of operation.
• Lubricate all window channels with silicone or graphite.
• There is one drain hole in each floor section under windows. Be sure hole is clear of debris so any
water may escape.
• Clean all rubber door seals and lubricate with rubber lubricant.
• All rear and side emergency door latch slide bars to be lubricated with light grease to reduce friction.
• Tighten all tie down bolts to 37-41 foot pounds torque at 1,000 miles, 2,000 miles, and quarterly thereafter.
• Change main heater air filter
(depending on operating conditions).
• Check seat cushion clamps.
• Inspect mounting bolts on body tie down.
• Inspect mounting fasteners and upholstery on seats.
• Lubricate bridge plate hinge and pivot on Collins wheelchair lift.
• Clean and lubricate fold cam slot, platform cam slots and handrail V-block on Collins wheelchair lift.
• Check fluid level in Collins wheelchair lift.
• Lubricate hinge and latch mechanisms on access doors.
• Check internal fasteners on electric stop arms.
• Inspect Bendix air dryer for excessive reservoir moisture.
• Clean and lube treadle valve mechanical actuating parts.
6 MONTHS OR 6,000 MILES
• Check lubricant level in rear axle.
• Inspect rear axle vent.
• Check power steering fluid level.
• Lubricate steering drag rod.
• Check single and double check valves.
• Lubricate spring pin.
• Inspect alternator.
• Clean battery posts.
• Disassemble and clean the air compressor governor and repair, as required.
• Lubricate entrance door vandal lock.
• Check/adjust emergency door vandal lock.
• Lubricate lock mechanism and door hinge on emergency door.
• Inspect destination sign for proper operation.
• Lubricate hinges and roller gears on destination signs.
• Check/adjust curtain on destination signs.
• Lubricate all working part joints on driver’s seat using lithium-based grease (aerosol).
• Check/adjust door control rod on manual entrance doors.
• Replace fuel filter and fuel inlet screen.
• Lubricate sliding bolt mechanism on vandal lock.
• Inspect drive shaft.
• Lubricate universal joint and slip joint.
• Lubricate clutch release bearing.
• Change engine oil and oil filter.
• Change Perry water filter.
• Inspect fuel cap, tank, fuel lines and fuel tank valve.
• Inspect and check radiator and shutters.
• Lubricate brake camshaft, king pins, tie rod ends and slack adjusters.
• Inspect coolant hoses.
• Inspect accelerator system.
• Check fuel water separator and drain as required.
• Change engine fuel filter.
12 MONTHS OR 12,000 MILES
• Complete Quarterly Maintenance Check List.
• Remove all seat cushions, thoroughly clean with upholstery cleaner and reinstall on a rotating basis.
• Adjust door control rod and closing mechanism to entrance doors.
• Bleed all air from heaters.
• Tighten all heater hose clamps.
• Check cylinder chains, hoses and wires on the Braun Wheelchair lift.
• Check heater hoses, motor wheels and fans on heaters.
• Clean heater core.
• Tighten heater hose clamps. (Tighten after first 1000 miles)
• Inspect power steering pump.
• Inspect steering gear.
• Lubricate steering column.
• Check front and rear suspension U-bolt torque.
• Check spring pin lock bolt.
• Check spring pin and bushing wear.
• Inspect suspension system and components.
• Inspect shocks.
• Inspect suspension hanger bracket to frame fastener torque.
• Inspect quick starting aid.
• Inspect engine block heaters.
• Pressure test engine cooling system.
• Check radiator fan and motor.
• Inspect electrical fuel transfer valves.
• Replace engine air filter.
• Check air tank pop-off valves.
• Change automatic transmission fluid.
• Change internal and external automatic transmission filter.
• Inspect automatic transmission vent.
• Change power steering reservoir filter.
• Change lubricant in rear axle.
• Change manual transmission fluid.
• Clean radiator.
• Clean shutters
24 MONTHS OR 24,000 MILES
• Change thermostat.
• Clean relay valves, spring brake valves, parking brake valves, and quick release valves.
• Clean pressure protection valves.
• Inspect and clean Stratoflex air dryer.
• Clean and flush cooling system.
• Inspect turbocharger.
• Steam clean engine.
These check lists are suggested. They do not replace or supersede local or state required driver inspection