Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2019, 07:56 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: International CE 300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 71 passenger / 12 window
$10 Skoolie Parking / Camping Network

Time for skoolie owners to band together and help each other travel cheaply! Apparently it's hard to find campgrounds that are skoolie friendly, and even those that are tend to be expensive, so let's solve this problem.

On this thread, people with room for other skoolies to park can put up their locations and amenities. Here are the rules:

PROPERTY OWNERS:

1) Don't ask for more than $10 per night.

(Make it commensurate with the services, too. If all you have is a place to park and you don't have any "hookups", don't ask $10 because there are plenty of other free places to park. This isn't about profiting; it's about helping. A few dollars will more than cover whatever electricity and water a skoolie will use in even an entire day's time.)

2) Be clear about your parameters: the space you have, how long you'd allow someone to stay on your property, what your "quiet hours" are, whether or not you permit generators, etc.

(If you can't fit a bus above a certain size, and/or you aren't able to accommodate a toad or extra vehicle, you'd have to say so. People who'd stay at your place need to know what they have to work around.)

3) Don't discriminate.

(You can say things like "no smoking permitted on this property", but if you start discriminating against people based upon moral issues such as sexual preference, big no-no.)

CAMPERS:

1) At worst, leave the property in the same condition it was in when you got there.

(The best thing to do is to leave it in better condition, if possible!)

2) Be courteous and kind.

(Taking advantage of other people is a surefire way to ruin this network for everyone.)

3) Do not break any laws when you're on someone else's property.

(This includes things like not using drugs. Even if you're in a "legal weed" state, if the listing doesn't say that the property is "420 friendly" or something similar, assume that it is not.)

FOR EVERYONE:

DO NOT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ANYONE IN ANY WAY!

(I fully encourage people to be "blacklisted" on this thread, by screen name anyway, if they do so!)

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Really, this is about people helping each other. That's the way humans were always meant to live.

RomaniGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:20 AM   #2
Skoolie

Conneaut, OH $5/night

I'll start.

I live in Conneaut, OH (~10 minutes from I-90 exits 235 and 241) and can accommodate at least one skoolie (maybe more) depending upon size and how much electricity you'd use. A toad / extra car ought to fit.

I can offer a standard extension cord for electricity (call it 15 amp), a garden hose for water, and a sewage dump (as long as you have a hose).

No campfires (contained grills OK if you have one), keep the noise down after 9:30 PM and before 8 AM (we have a baby), no smoking, keep your dogs leashed (we have a dog), clean up your mess before you leave. There's enough yard to get out and walk around, maybe even run around if you have kids who need to blow off some energy. If you're the type who would sue someone if you fall on their property, you're not welcome here.

$5/night, cash only, pay upon arrival. For now we're available year-round, but garden hose water won't be available when the overnight temperature is expected to be below freezing.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:29 AM   #3
Skoolie

Shameless thread bump. I find it hard to believe that nobody wants to help out other skoolies. And if there is a reason you wouldn't want to be part of the network I proposed in my original post, explain that reason here.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:31 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Shameless thread bump. I find it hard to believe that nobody wants to help out other skoolies. And if there is a reason you wouldn't want to be part of the network I proposed in my original post, explain that reason here.
We already tried a similar free thing and no one really uses it.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
We already tried a similar free thing and no one really uses it.
Maybe they didn't know where it was located. I sure don't. So where can I find it?
Old 03-09-2019, 01:05 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Maybe they didn't know where it was located. I sure don't. So where can I find it?
Seems just as easy to find a parking lot to stay in overnight.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:55 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Seems just as easy to find a parking lot to stay in overnight.
Maybe, but you won't get electricity, water, and in the admittedly rare case of my house, a place to dump tanks. And depending upon your location, you will have greater or lesser difficulty finding "a parking lot to stay in overnight". Where I was born and raised - central NJ - if you can find a parking lot to stay in, you ought to buy a lottery ticket because you had unexpected luck.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:16 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Hey, if it was time for me to stop and I was in Ohio, I'd take you up on the offer. None of the trips I have planned go through Ohio.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:47 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
The Skoolie Map.
No one really uses it except to be added to it.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I've been offering my place for years, free for one or two nights. I'm the owner of the skoolie map.Skoolie Map There are two layers to that map one that shows parking/services offered. No one has really offered up their place. I am on at least three web sites that offer parking to campers/RV people. I get the most requests from https://www.boondockerswelcome.com which is open only to members with self contained RVs. Bookdockerswelcome is pretty safe, requests are made through the site and you can see the profile of the person that makes the request. The other is https://freecampsites.net which is free and open to anyone, I've had tents, people sleeping in cars and RV's.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote