Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2020, 08:15 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Turtle Top
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3
2020 summer trip!

So we decided to have a summer trip, even though Covid is making life really difficult for everyone. We know this will probably be the last trip we take with our oldest daughter who is (maybe) leaving for college this fall, so we decided to go big!

So, we started talking about how to which way to go to get to Rexburg Idaho to visit the college campus while we are traveling. Our initial route had us hitting the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas and a quick trip through Death Valley just so we could say we made it California.

Well, that was was quickly modified. The kids wanted to see the west coast and Hollywood, so off we go!

Just FYI, as I wright this we are somewhere between Reno NV, and Salt Lake City.

Initially, we were a little concerned because the trip from home to El Paso was just miserable. The a/c wasnt keeping up and it was getting warm. After a couple of days of rolling across the desert, we finally dropped into the LA area and things got so much more comfortable.

Our bus, Frank, is running great and has performed flawlessly everywhere we've gone. We left LA a couple of days ago and headed up HWY 1 to San Francisco. I had no clue that once you got on it, you were committed for the long haul. Big Sur, San Francisco and on to Lake Tahoe. From there we headed the Bonneville Salt Flats for quick drive onto the salt.

I'll post some pics as I get them uploaded.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5026.JPG   IMG_4854.jpg   IMG_4941.PNG   IMG_4997.jpg   IMG_5014.jpg  

IMG_1569.jpg  

Frqnt-Flyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:16 PM   #2
Almost There

WTH? Not sure why my pics were posted upside down!
Old 06-17-2020, 08:19 PM   #3
Almost There

Working on photo's . . .
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5064[1].jpg   IMG_5062[1].jpg  
Old 06-17-2020, 09:10 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
If possible, convert your pics to PNG format before posting. This will fix the rotation problems.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:25 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Awesome road trip! We are still on the fence about traveling due to the current stupidity crisis! Our trip, if it happens, will take us back to my old stompin' grounds in the mid-west. Granite will not be ready, so it will be with the Escalade and the pop-up. I admire your gumption to make this great memory despite all the goofiness' going on. I hope your daughter doesn't suffer too much culture shock from the frozen tundra that Rexburg is in the winter! It's a far cry from anything Texas has to offer! I'm guessing she is attending BYU-I-Do (inside joke) My daughter was choosing between there and LDSBC in SLC. She chose SLC and didn't make it to the end of the first year..... now I have 3 awesome grandkids!

Be careful driving out on the saltflats, it's pretty easy to sink in what looks completely solid, especially this time of year. Keep on bussin' along and making good memories, it's the times like these that get us through the tough times!
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:32 PM   #6
Almost There

Well good morning from SLC! Woke up this morning to a wonderful 58* clear sky day. Perfect flying weather, if that's what your into.

We poked around on the road yesterday long enough that we missed stopping by the salt flats. That was something I really wanted to see. So now we are in SLC for a couple of days for a wedding.

While here I need to replace a couple of lights. One lens was drug off by a tree limb in a parking lot. And then we, my wife would says I did it but I say we are team, so we, clipped a guard rail a few days ago coming through LA. Luckily, the only damage was a broken mid turn signal. A quick stop by Flying J and it will be replaced with a brighter and better LED one. My only issue is the one that was broke was riveted on instead of using screws, like a normal install. So, I may have to buy a drill bit (the only thing I don't have w me) or a grinding/cutting wheel for my cordless drill.

JackE, if my brain is working correctly this morning, that inside joke is a thinly veiled inside joke. My wife and I are expecting that. Hopefully, she will get four years in before it happens. Her "boyfriend" will be leaving for his mission this year, so that buys us at least two years, LOL! Yes, BYUI is where shes headed, although she wants to transfer to Provo at some point. We love her, and shes a great girl, but she would not listen when we told her her grades weren't good enough for Provo. Lesson learned, I HOPE.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:11 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
I'm actually headed to SLC tomorrow to pack up my moms stuff and get her moved back home. She has been serving in the FHC there, but all the Senior missionaries were sent home due to Covid. They are having her finish out her year from home doing computer based work. I lived in Rexburg many moons ago when it was Rick's College. It has changed enough since then I don't even recognize the place. The Salt Flats are definitely a sight to behold, if you can manage it before you go home, take the chance to experience it. Another really cool experience, if you have time to make it happen, is to hike up Ensign Peak and watch the sun set over the lake. If you can get up there by 8, you get to watch the city lights come alive as the sun goes to bed. It's pretty cool!
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:27 PM   #8
Almost There

On the road again. After a couple of days in SLC, and successfully getting my nephew married and on the road, we've moved a couple of hours north to Rexburg Idaho.

The weather has been nothing short of perfect, and we are taking a little time to tour the campus and housing at BYUI. After a late start today we drove around town a bit and then spent a little time skateboarding around the campus.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:30 PM   #9
Almost There

Saw this guy on the road north yesterday ...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5110.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	45877
Old 06-22-2020, 12:54 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Wonderful trip! We'll keep Texas as safe as possible until you return.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:03 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frqnt-Flyr View Post
Saw this guy on the road north yesterday ...Attachment 45877
Hmmm, a FULL length shorty...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:28 PM   #12
Almost There

So, a couple of days later and finally back to some cell service. We left Rexburg ID and worked our way over to Jackson Hole. We stopped for a quick snowball fight at the top of the passClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5167.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	45949Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5161.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	45948
Old 06-24-2020, 09:32 PM   #13
Almost There

You can zoom in and see Frank watching over our shenanigans from the parking lot.

After a couple of hours in JH, we headed north to Grand Teton NP. I love the mountains and really enjoyed that drive through to Yellowstone. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5200.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	45951Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5180.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	45950
Old 06-24-2020, 09:43 PM   #14
Almost There

After a couple of days in Yellowstone, we are now headed to see Devils Tower, and Mt Rushmore. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5289.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	45953Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5218.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	45952
Old 06-24-2020, 11:07 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Pretty country ... especially this time of year.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:20 PM   #16
Almost There

So first stop this morning was to Mt. Rushmore. It truly is a beautiful place and an amazing monument. Unfortunately they are doing some construction, so we could only get as far as the gift shop. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5299.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	45977
Old 06-25-2020, 06:28 PM   #17
Almost There

From here we are on to Sioux Falls SD for a high school graduation. Glad to see my nephew getting the chance to cross the stage.

My daughter was really fortunate to be able to have a real graduation back in May. The school found a way to accommodate the social distancing rules and still have the kids walk across the stage. They had the kids choose someone to hand them their diplomas. I was very fortunate to be able to hand her her diploma!
Attached Thumbnails
HEADRICK_MADISON-0746e-8x10.jpg  
Old 06-25-2020, 06:30 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Cool photo, never seen the monument from quite that angle before. Never noticed the angry monkey to the left of George before.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:08 PM   #19
Bus Geek

I am glad you were able to see the monument. Today, the SD governor stated that the rioters would not be allowed to deface the monument. Perhaps that was the reason for only being able to get to the gift shop.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:18 AM   #20
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
I am glad you were able to see the monument. Today, the SD governor stated that the rioters would not be allowed to deface the monument. Perhaps that was the reason for only being able to get to the gift shop.
I've wondered about that from time to time. Either the rioters, or any other group that wants to have the monument 'removed' because of what it represents to them. Seriously, I am so sick of this sh!t. People forget that along with freedom of speech, we have the right to be offended by whatever was said. But being offended does not trump someones freedom of speech.

Snowflakes.