Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2019, 06:20 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: sturdivan
Chassis: E-350
Engine: 7.3l IDI
Rated Cap: 10,000lbs
Unhappy A sad travel note from berkeley,CA

It is with great sadness but we have to add another city to avoid in our travels.
Berkeley, Ca, in the San Francisco area, has changed its laws.The link is to an article about the change.

Berkeley, Ca used to be considered a leader in what a modern progressive city looked like but the concentration of wealth has driven up the cost of housing and low wage people have had to resort to living on the streets and this lead to problems. Instead of dealing with the concentration-of-wealth problem, their plan is to criminalize living on the street. Not a very creative, effective or helpful way to manage to a serious problem.

The new law effects all vehicles with multiple axles, longer than 20ft, or wider than 6ft-6inches and trailers.

I like to boondock and Berkeley would have been a good place to rest when traveling from all the great places in northern CA to the deserts of southern CA. but no more. I'm sure it makes no difference to them but I will not be eating or buying anything while passing through.

As a note, the traffic in the bay area is terrible, it's a good place to avoid if you can

alpinekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:28 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
My friend Jeff is VERY progressive guy. He recently traveled to San Fran. He was robbed of all his belongings within an hour. They distribute the wealth QUICKLY out there.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:31 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I used to enjoy travellingto california in general... really it was a progressive and fun state... but now instead of the "live and let live" mentality that once made it an incredibly fun and vibrant state.. it has turned into the p[oster child for nearly living in prison despite claiming being open for all...

I once had plans of running my bus along the pacific coast highway... nada now..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:58 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
I moved to SO CA in 1946 from my mom. I left in 2007 with no regrets. Nothing remains the same anywhere but I could write a book about the negative changes.
A shame really.

The house my dad built and finished in 1952 was sold in 1974 for $33,000. It's current value is over $600,000. 2x2, 1700 sf. The area it's in is now a shithole. My last visit was via the internet.

A shame really.

Here's what I saw in every area. This is an actual camp.
Attached Thumbnails
Homless in Van Nuys.jpg  
Old 04-02-2019, 09:01 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
It truly is a shame, with no fix in sight and the policies they're enacting just make it worse IMHO.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:54 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Its a tough issue for me. I love freedom and charity but I've lived next to a homeless shelter.
Its all fine and good till its your house being broken into. And your yard they're shooting up in. I'm now understand why cities pass anti-homeless ordinances. Its like- if you feed and house them they're definitely not going anywhere till the gravy train leaves. The homeless shelter I lived next to was funded with "stimulus money" but all that really means is the church that runs it got a couple million to buy a crack motel. The former owner of the crack motel is the only winner. If you ask transients in the area they're all heading to the homeless "mecca" in Leesburg. Eustis may give me crap about my bus but I've had zero junkies in my yard since living here.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:47 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
To give you an idea of the inflation out there, I was born in Berkeley and lived in a brand new house my parents bought in Sunnyvale (pre Silicone Valley) for $12k. The oriental woman who lives in it now paid over $1m for it 15 years ago.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:00 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: DT466E / AT545
Rated Cap: 72
Cali has, at least in the recent past, been quite strict on certain vehicles, not only buses but semis as well. There's a reason truckers generally hate to do loads to cali, it's just nonstop nonsense both with traffic and the traffic laws/fines.

Two decades ago I'd have loved to visit cali, possibly even move there. A decade ago I thought a road trip would be nice. Nowadays I wouldn't even enter the state unless I absolutely had to.
geminusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:00 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

In September, I spent a few nights down at the Berkeley marina and had no problems. There were 6 or so RV's and vans, but no Skoolies there. Although I did see areas where cops had cleared out encampments.

As we bounced down the coast, we spent a week in Santa Cruz at the time of the election when liberal residents there voted down a rent control ordinance and shut down the homeless shelter.

Further down the coast, we spent a month in San Diego Boat Ramp with no hassles (Jan.) in the bus.
Solar Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:38 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminusprime View Post
Cali has, at least in the recent past, been quite strict on certain vehicles, not only buses but semis as well. There's a reason truckers generally hate to do loads to cali, it's just nonstop nonsense both with traffic and the traffic laws/fines.

Two decades ago I'd have loved to visit cali, possibly even move there. A decade ago I thought a road trip would be nice. Nowadays I wouldn't even enter the state unless I absolutely had to.
I am no longer proud to be a native Californian.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:30 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Cali was too crowded for me 45 years ago, at least around the big cities and their satellites. I moved to western Washington, which I would now call northern California.

Seattle wanted to be a world-class city, now they are. All those pretty houses are becoming apartment blocks. Reminds me of Kowloon from the early '80's.

I may be partial, but the west coast is maybe the nicest piece of land in the world. And with going on 8 billion people on this ball we'll screw that up too.

Of course, out here out west, on the eastern side of the mountains there's plenty of empty land. The liberals out there call themselves Libertarians.
It's a "My Rifle, My Pony, and Me" kind of place.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:17 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
I flew into San Fran in Jan. and uber'd to the town where I would pickup my Crown. I thought I was in another Country and could not wait to get on the road.

What I find ironic is that the same people that live there and complain about the laws are the same ones that keep voting for those making the laws.
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:20 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro View Post
Of course, out here out west, on the eastern side of the mountains there's plenty of empty land. The liberals out there call themselves Libertarians.
It's a "My Rifle, My Pony, and Me" kind of place.
You might want to check the definition of Libretarian

Anything but liberal.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:46 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Liberal as in protecting and enhancing individual freedom. I used the word in it's historic, older meaning specific to that political philosophy. It would seem to me that libertarian and liberal share the same root, individual liberty.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
I moved east from Torrance, CA last year. If I'd had my way, I would never have left. I wasn't living in the bus most of my time there, I was living in a loft inside my store. But I spent my last month there in the bus in the parking lot of a CVS with zero hassle. There were a couple of RVs and more than one car dweller in the lot. I knew several RV dwellers, and they had places to go that were safe and welcoming. Attitudes vary neighborhood to neighborhood it seems.

My shop was in Downtown Torrance, which I am told used to be a shithole but by the time I opened up there, was a quaint and cute little mom-and-pop Mayberry RFD kinda town. The surrounding residential neighborhood was pricey. I was (and still am) a member of that "Next Door" app for the area, and all people talked about was "Beware - just spotted an RV parked on the street." They are totally convinced, apparently, that only criminals live in vehicles. But it's not like that all over town.

I spent a good deal of time in Malibu, home of the richest, but all my friends there are poor. They were living in RVs, buses, and even tool sheds all over the place, enjoying the perks of living in a great place where there just isn't a lot of law enforcement and people don't seem too uptight about it. It's pretty easy to find someone who will let you tuck into his back acre there, if you know who to ask. A popular place to spend the night then was the only 24 hour grocery store in town. I don't know if things have changed there or not.

I sure do miss California.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #16
Almost There

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward Senator
Engine: DT466
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinekid View Post
It is with great sadness but we have to add another city to avoid in our travels.
Berkeley, Ca, in the San Francisco area, has changed its laws.The link is to an article about the change.

Berkeley, Ca used to be considered a leader in what a modern progressive city looked like but the concentration of wealth has driven up the cost of housing and low wage people have had to resort to living on the streets and this lead to problems. Instead of dealing with the concentration-of-wealth problem, their plan is to criminalize living on the street. Not a very creative, effective or helpful way to manage to a serious problem.

The new law effects all vehicles with multiple axles, longer than 20ft, or wider than 6ft-6inches and trailers.

I like to boondock and Berkeley would have been a good place to rest when traveling from all the great places in northern CA to the deserts of southern CA. but no more. I'm sure it makes no difference to them but I will not be eating or buying anything while passing through.

As a note, the traffic in the bay area is terrible, it's a good place to avoid if you can
I just moved to Berkeley for a job in the area. I have to say, I like the idea and facade of Berkeley, but I feel like there is something underneath that stinks. I found a spot for my skoolie in an RV Park in Marin for $1,800. Nope! I purchased a conversion van and not one mobile home or RV park would give me a spot.

Lots of people homeless pushing their belongings in shopping carts and plenty of vans and RVs parked on the streets of Berkeley. I hate to generalize, but there are some angry people living in their expensive homes, riding their bikes, walking their dogs sipping coffee at the corner shop.

Peace,
RR
RevyRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:06 PM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
I was born in Torrance. My family moved to Orange County in 1964. I lived in Orange County until 2 years ago. I am in NC right now, getting ready to go "home" in my shuttle bus that is in the process of conversion. Now I am worried. Is it really that bad? I will be staying out by Victorville most of the time while my son, his friends, and I finish converting my shuttle. Then I want to travel. Looks like avoid northern CA coast. Is Oregon ok? And I want to see the Space Needle in Washington.
Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:49 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Oriental woman

I think that a lamp is oriental but not a person. That would be an Asian woman. Not sure what is worse, the incorrect labeling of the woman or pointing out that the owner is Asian.
Be part of the solution not the problem. Education is free in America. Don’t be afraid of using it in real life.
Gkozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:55 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebuild View Post
I moved east from Torrance, CA last year. If I'd had my way, I would never have left. I wasn't living in the bus most of my time there, I was living in a loft inside my store. But I spent my last month there in the bus in the parking lot of a CVS with zero hassle. There were a couple of RVs and more than one car dweller in the lot. I knew several RV dwellers, and they had places to go that were safe and welcoming. Attitudes vary neighborhood to neighborhood it seems.

My shop was in Downtown Torrance, which I am told used to be a shithole but by the time I opened up there, was a quaint and cute little mom-and-pop Mayberry RFD kinda town. The surrounding residential neighborhood was pricey. I was (and still am) a member of that "Next Door" app for the area, and all people talked about was "Beware - just spotted an RV parked on the street." They are totally convinced, apparently, that only criminals live in vehicles. But it's not like that all over town.

I spent a good deal of time in Malibu, home of the richest, but all my friends there are poor. They were living in RVs, buses, and even tool sheds all over the place, enjoying the perks of living in a great place where there just isn't a lot of law enforcement and people don't seem too uptight about it. It's pretty easy to find someone who will let you tuck into his back acre there, if you know who to ask. A popular place to spend the night then was the only 24 hour grocery store in town. I don't know if things have changed there or not.

I sure do miss California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharee100 View Post
I was born in Torrance. My family moved to Orange County in 1964. I lived in Orange County until 2 years ago. I am in NC right now, getting ready to go "home" in my shuttle bus that is in the process of conversion. Now I am worried. Is it really that bad? I will be staying out by Victorville most of the time while my son, his friends, and I finish converting my shuttle. Then I want to travel. Looks like avoid northern CA coast. Is Oregon ok? And I want to see the Space Needle in Washington.
Was also born in Torrance in '65... left there in'72
went back to visit in '99... said I'd never be back!
Old 04-17-2019, 08:36 PM   #20

Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9 L Cummins Turbo
Rated Cap: 28
City Boondocking

Too bad about Berkeley, grew up there. Live near Seattle now and can tell you a few bad apples ruin it for all. Decent, clean and tidy homeless against druggie nightmares. Need alternative housing for rv's with decent owners. Have no sympathy or tolerance for druggies who have zero concerns but there habit. Lived by drug house before and anyone who has loses all sympathy. Hope everyone can distinguish between decent homeless and total losers.
druidwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
laws, parking