Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2010, 12:52 PM   #1

Year: 1990
Coachwork: 35' Blue Bird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Advice- I-70 Eastbound through Colorado

Hi, I have a 35' Blue Bird with an 8.2L Detroit Diesel. He's a solid bus! I am traveling from Utah to St Louis and I am really torn on which way to go. I don't want to go I-80 as its long, windy, and cold. I don't want to go south to I-40 as it will add 5 hours and $100 to my trip. I REALLY want to go I-70 as it is quickest, shortest, and easy once you reach Denver. That all said, how tough is it making it from Utah to Denver. I have made the drive a million times in a car or van but I don't know what to think about the bus. Weather is not an issue, should be fine any way I go, I just need to know about Mountain Grades. I have taken my bus all up and down Cailfornia, even to Shelter Cove, across the Sierras on I-80 and 50, and from Los Angeles to Utah on I-15. Crossing the Sierras was my greatest feat, is I-70 much worse? Any input will be appreciated!

Jackson Starship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Advice- I-70 Eastbound through Colorado

For trip advice, I would suggest asking over on Escapees or IRV2.com as the folks there can give you advice on driving a big RV over the grades. You will have to register to post on the forums... you do not have to be a member of Escapees to post on the forum. You may be able to do a search and find your answer that way.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

would you need tire chains?
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:53 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit N/A, Allison
Rated Cap: 65

Jackson,

Don't know if you've made your trip yet. I'm just across the Colorado border in Kansas on I-70. If you need something, give me a shout and I"ll do what I can.

As far as road conditions west of Denver, I can't speak. But front Denver to St. Louis across Kansas and Missouri, you'll have clear sailing on I-70...as long as the weather is good!

Ben.
NewSkewlHauler is offline   Reply With Quote