Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
any one going anywhere this summer?

with price of fuel i was wondering if any folks are planning to go on vaction ? we are planning a week trip to wisconson dells other then that just camping a few days a week close to home, Im makeing a sewage dump station at my house , we plan on boondocking as much as we can , and to beable to come and dump the tanks will make life much simpler

gbstewart (the cost of fuel is still cheaper in th US then here in Canada)

Old 04-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: any one going anywhere this summer?

We aren't going anywhere. Has nothing to do with fuel costs. We plan on spending the summer and every drop of spare cash finishing the bus and getting it ready for next winter. We already took the first step in this... we shifted into a "long term" site (in the same park) and that saves us $25 per month. Plus we have shade from a couple of trees. I figure we will be here for two years (Spring 2014) and then I will transfer to another state... someplace (GA coast or maybe LA or MS gulf coast).
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 1977
Chassis: International Harvester

We've been thinking of taking a road trip to the area around Mount Rushmore in the bus but we're not sure if we'll be doing it this summer. Gas prices are a small part but the big reason is that we may have just saved up enough to start looking for another house so we may be moving.
RavensOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

I plan to travel coast to coast, roughly 6,700 miles. Fuel costs are obscene, but I have to look at it this way...
This 3 week vacation:
  • A) will cost the same as a 1 week cruise to Alaska or flight to Europe
    B) will allow me to set my own schedule and see whatever I want (within reason)
    C) will allow me to stop whenever I need to and not worry about shopping for a hotel
    D) will give me an opportunity to see some cool places in America
    E) will be a once-in-a-lifetime event - I don't usually have this block of time to spend away from work.

I've gotten rid of my original debt, so all my money is now going towards the bus and vacation fund. If I'm smart and disciplined, I should be able to pay for it all before ever leaving the house. This will allow me to save the credit card for emergencies (though I sincerely hope to never have to use it).
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:35 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

i will go over to the other property... with 2 rigs... will cost about 2k for fuel...
Old 04-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

We are planning a trip out to the Texas coast in a couple weeks. Port Aransas. The Mustang Island State Park looks promising! It would be great if my veggie oil system would be installed by then, but I don't see that happening, so I will end up spending about $175 on fuel divided up between two families. Not too bad.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger

I have 2 annual trips that I will be going on... offroading in IN with a group of guys using old military vehicles and our racing lawn mowers, and the family camping trip here in OH. The bus is being planned to go to both, so I better get cracking!

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:36 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

My wife has just informed me that she doesn't want to go back to the other property until fall... may have to goof off next to the ocean until then... well... after the work is done on this place...
Old 04-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

would love to but depends on gas and time off..
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49
My wife has just informed me...
That sounds very familiar!

viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Went to Sacramento three weeks ago, Anaheim this weekend, both working trips and staying in the bus at RV parks. Plan a trip to the Central California Coast in July for pure fun and relaxation.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Of course this has nothing to do with who's going where this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49
My wife has just informed me...
That sounds very familiar! .
Make sure your wives can drive the bus and you won't have to be informed. After all "He who drives get to choose when and where to stop".

At very low speed, the Blue Bird steers like my Dad's old dump truck.All I have done was move it from the pull thru site over to a back in site within the same campground. Backing the beastie in was easy... just like on the Class C. David says with more speed the steering wheel turns much easier. Have your wives and SO's learn to drive these things. You never know when you will HAVE to have another driver plus it will make long trips easier on you. Like insulation, this is something you will hear me say often!! I am a very firm believer that you should have a backup driver. So many things can put the primary driver out of the seat... either major (can't get much more major than death) or minor (shouldn't have ate that! or twisting your ankle as you step out of the bus). Once they learn then SHARE the driving so they become more confident in driving. If something happened to David, I will not sell off the bus. This is now my home and I most definitely WILL be able to drive it.

If my 4'11, 90 lb daughter can drive the Class C (22 ft) pulling the food cart (add 10 ft), then I figure anyone can drive a skoolie (millions of women do every day school is in session). Like I told my daughter about the Class C... everything takes a little longer, to turn, to stop, to change lanes, to take off... like dancing with an elephant... you don't want to make any quick moves.

Unfortunately Stacey currently has a logistical situation. Her Jeep, Claudia (it's a black jeep and she was a big fan of Farscape) cannot be towed 4 down. Unless she gets a tow dolly or another vehicle (Shock! Horrors! GASPITH!!!.. she loves her Claudia) she will require another driver. Most likely she will leave NM when we do. Bus tows the cart, Class C tows R-Jeep (our jeep), someone drives Claudia. Logistics! If David or I am ill and cannot drive, I figure we can always triple tow for an emergency (like a hurricane is heading our way and we need to head inland... we will be going back east!).
Old 04-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Her Jeep, Claudia (it's a black jeep and she was a big fan of Farscape)...
Your daughter has excellent taste.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #14
Bus Geek

I have seen lots of jeeps flat towed evrything from stock to ones with tons...why can't it be flat tow'd?worst case take re driveshft loose...with hubs unlocked even....what keeps it from being tow'd...just curious...sorry for hijack
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerCub
Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Her Jeep, Claudia (it's a black jeep and she was a big fan of Farscape)...
Your daughter has excellent taste.
Of course she does. I grounded my kids in the classics.... Jim Henson, Queen, ZZ Top, Mel Brooks, Jimmy Buffet, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Abrahams/Zucker Brothers (AirPlane!, Naked Gun) Moody Blues. Monty Python, Alan Parsons Project, among others. And it shows!

The disconnect is the only option Stacey has to flat tow. She's been told that. It's a matter of getting her to agree to it and buy the equipment. Claudia, like many Jeeps, is very temperamental. We aren't sure how she will react to the work. Right now, Claudia has been acting up and we don't know why. We are 150 miles away and cannot just run over to work on her vehicle. I think it is beyond our level and really requires a real auto mechanic. Which means finding one.