Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2016, 11:53 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: E350
Engine: 6.9 Diesel
Best Apps

Is there a good app that shows RV parks nearby? I'm planning on driving cross country and want to stop when/where to mood hits!

Any other apps that you can't live without?

JoeyBigBlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:30 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: d466 mechanical
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBigBlind View Post
Is there a good app that shows RV parks nearby? I'm planning on driving cross country and want to stop when/where to mood hits!

Any other apps that you can't live without?
I use a pilot/travel center locator because I have a credit card with them for cheaper gas and travel. Also have a citgo card, but other than that I would be interested in an app that showed close by cheap sites. Generally so far I just stay at a rest area or walmart between national parks I'm visiting.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:08 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I have a couple, RV Parky and R V Park. Parky also shows Wal Mart.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:37 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
I installed "RV Parks" on android (i'm sure there is an iOS ver.). It shows parks, gas ans walmarts in the zoomed in area.
Neat.
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:51 PM   #5

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Beaver
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT
Thumbs up Android Apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
I have a couple, RV Parky and R V Park. Parky also shows Wal Mart.
We have both of these apps as well. I like the RV Park app and use it more frequently - as it also lists Moose and Elks Lodges across the country.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:46 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddandHeather View Post
We have both of these apps as well. I like the RV Park app and use it more frequently - as it also lists Moose and Elks Lodges across the country.
And that would be of benefit for what reason? Do they allow overnight boondocking? Do you have to be a member?
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
And that would be of benefit for what reason?
Many Fraternal Organizations have Campground / RV Parks on their property. We have stayed at numerous Elks / Moose Lodges over the years - often for free.

Quote:
Do they allow overnight boondocking?
Almost all fraternal organizations allow their members to 'boondock' without charge (providing the area isn't full with cars). However, many also have FHU Campgrounds on site - and charge a significantly reduced rate for the use.

Quote:
Do you have to be a member?
Yes, but it isn't difficult to become a member. Once a member of a specific Lodge, you then have access to all lodges nationwide (or worldwide if the organization has international affiliates).

Some Examples:

Elks Lodge Mena, Arkansas = $25.00 / week (FHU)
Moose Lodge Texarkana, Texas = FREE* for six weeks (Water and Electric)
Myrtle Beach Moose Lodge = $300 / month (Water / Electric / WiFi)

HTH

*We made a "Donation" to the Lodge of $200 at the end of our stay, but it wasn't required of us to do so.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:42 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Many Fraternal Organizations have Campground / RV Parks on their property. We have stayed at numerous Elks / Moose Lodges over the years - often for free.

Almost all fraternal organizations allow their members to 'boondock' without charge (providing the area isn't full with cars). However, many also have FHU Campgrounds on site - and charge a significantly reduced rate for the use.

Yes, but it isn't difficult to become a member. Once a member of a specific Lodge, you then have access to all lodges nationwide (or worldwide if the organization has international affiliates).

Some Examples:

Elks Lodge Mena, Arkansas = $25.00 / week (FHU)
Moose Lodge Texarkana, Texas = FREE* for six weeks (Water and Electric)
Myrtle Beach Moose Lodge = $300 / month (Water / Electric / WiFi)

HTH

*We made a "Donation" to the Lodge of $200 at the end of our stay, but it wasn't required of us to do so.
My ex's dad was the president of our local Moose lodge. It isn't exactly easy to join. You have to get sponsored and then they take you to several lodges and you get wasted. Takes a while to "get in".
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
My ex's dad was the president of our local Moose lodge. It isn't exactly easy to join. You have to get sponsored and then they take you to several lodges and you get wasted. Takes a while to "get in".
While I haven't visited all 1700 Moose Lodges nationwide, I can tell you as a Past Governor (Moose language for Lodge 'President') of Northwest Tucson Moose Lodge, the requirements for membership in any lodge aren't difficult at all. Some (such as the VFW / American legion, etc.) require certain military affiliation, but the Moose / Elks / Eagles do not have such restrictions. As far as obtaining a 'sponsor' to join, yes, this is required, but not difficult to obtain either. It's significantly more likely several individuals will offer to sponsor you if you stopped in any local lodge and indicated you were simply 'thinking' of joining and sought additional information.

In fact, if you experience even the slightest difficulty locating a sponsor, let me know. I'll sponsor you.

Lastly, 'Getting wasted' isn't on the requirements for obtaining a membership. However, depending on the lodge you join, you'll find it difficult to spend your own money as many of the long time lodge members will welcome your new membership by buying you drinks!

Also, visiting an out of state (or out of town) lodge, almost always results in your first (sometimes second) beverage being complimentary. It's sort of an unwritten policy of most all lodges to 'welcome' out of town members.

HTH
Old 06-25-2016, 04:02 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
While I haven't visited all 1700 Moose Lodges nationwide, I can tell you as a Past Governor (Moose language for Lodge 'President') of Northwest Tucson Moose Lodge, the requirements for membership in any lodge aren't difficult at all. Some (such as the VFW / American legion, etc.) require certain military affiliation, but the Moose / Elks / Eagles do not have such restrictions. As far as obtaining a 'sponsor' to join, yes, this is required, but not difficult to obtain either. It's significantly more likely several individuals will offer to sponsor you if you stopped in any local lodge and indicated you were simply 'thinking' of joining and sought additional information.

In fact, if you experience even the slightest difficulty locating a sponsor, let me know. I'll sponsor you.

Lastly, 'Getting wasted' isn't on the requirements for obtaining a membership. However, depending on the lodge you join, you'll find it difficult to spend your own money as many of the long time lodge members will welcome your new membership by buying you drinks!

Also, visiting an out of state (or out of town) lodge, almost always results in your first (sometimes second) beverage being complimentary. It's sort of an unwritten policy of most all lodges to 'welcome' out of town members.

HTH
Good to know. Thanks.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote