Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtram
Engine: Navstar 190
Rated Cap: 77
Blast from the past

Hey fellow skoolies. Anyone remember me? I'd be. Shocked if ya do. In 2009 built a skoolie '98 amtran pusher left new jersey for the open road. Well the road finally stopped for our bus day by day. 48 states latter she's retired in oklahoma. On 350 achers of land out in the boonies. We are not where we want to be on self sustaining yet but very close. 1.5kw solar array, 24volt system mppt charge control- battery bank could use to be bigger. Wood fired stirling engine water pump. Wood gasification for generator fuel mini biogas plant little too mini our single milk cow she's doing her best lol. So we still need propane. Our greenhouse is working fresnel lens heat it in cold. Gardens feed us almost exclusivly, still have to buy sugar tea and coffee from store. Gotta have my sweet tea served over ice in a quart mason jar. Anyway we still live in the bus love the old girl. She's now at her final resting spot, stilll use her engine. That powers my workshop and runs the grainmill we put together with scrap. Everything at our place is repurposed junk- the skoolie creed demanded it. I'll close for now busy busy as I'm also an heirloom farmer. Not organic that can be misleading- though not chemicals are used on my farm. I use nature in I plant enough for me the bugs the animals and the produce market. Later folks Stan

Old 06-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Blast from the past

Sure would love some pixz and to hear some of the stories that old bus could tell.
congrats
Old 06-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Skoolie

Thanks yeah will try to get some pics. The girl would have some stories alright-the kids too I wonder at times when i am gone to the beyond if my kids will say "remember when mom n dad got the crazy idea to get that bus? Seemed like a scatterbrained idea at the time but looking back we did have lot of fun even with all the bad stuff... "
That is what skoolies are about.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
Bus Nut

NOTHING..........
Nothing will ever replace the memories of the bus and/or trips. They'll love you for it.....
Old 06-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckf00t
Hey fellow skoolies. Anyone remember me? I'd be. Shocked if ya do. In 2009 built a skoolie '98 amtran pusher left new jersey for the open road. . . .
The last I remember, you were going cross-country, until you landed in a biker camp and were asked to stay.
I just looked it up - that was 3-1/2 years ago. Somewhere between not that long ago and forever. . . .
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Wayne Chaperone
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

duckf00t, I would also like to hear stories about your bus, family and adventures.

I am also a bus owner although mine is only a 17 footer and was not bought to live in but only for short camping trips close too home. I have a Barth motorhome for those longer trips.

What part of Oklahoma, I was just through there on the way to the Grand Canyon. Many years ago we lived in Pauls Valley and also Wynnewood.
schoolmarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
Skoolie

Yeah redbear we did do just that. Then the road called us, but we made really good friends here and the people are great here.

So we went out west made it to santa monica hit the northwest where I'm convinced saw bigfoot evidence...don't laugh. Wyoming has sasquatch absolute truth. That bozo, bonzo guy will never go up there- because they will find them. Long story of an elk hunting trip and having an elk taken from us by bigfoot. Yes the guy I was with said"yeah that happens sometimes" hand on a stack a bibles. Wyoming mountains at 9500 feet no one goes higher thats where they live.

Ok lets see broke down in Billings montanna ended up wintering close to gold creek working at a water botteling plant. What else- ah yes we met Ted Nugent... that was cool. He was hunting there saw Shemane at Sam's club in Billings. Of all the wacky pplaces, I'd have passed by her except avid reader of teds books. Recognized her from kill it n grill it. So took us to meet The Nuge. Had about 15 minutes with him and the family. No pics of that...one doesn't exacty think a shopping trip for soap paper plates n toilet paper will result in meeting nuge.

Plenty of troubles later we made it back to okie land. Where we will be for a long time.