Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2008, 11:11 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350
Re: Burning Man 2008

thanks elliot thats the most imformed discription ive ever heard about burning man i always picture that movie of that dude getting burned in the big burnrng man after the bees stung the crap out of him by those crazy broads on some island what was that one? have fun!

timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:13 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Thanks for the praise! I do enjoy writing!

"Do-it-yourself amusement park" and "total vacation" are key descriptions of BM in my book.

But I must repeat that BM is NOT for everyone.

We talk about Black Rock City as a society completely separate and different from anything else on Earth, and that's not far off the truth. One of the phrases is "An experiment in community", and that's very much what it is -- a model of something-that-could-be in a perfect world. The mind-set that we all get into as soon as we arrive is perhaps close to the ideal -- a strong sense of self-reliance with an equally strong willingness to help and cooperate with others. The main thing we leave behind in the "Default World" is egotism.

And for us mechanical-gadget types, Burning Man is absolute effin' Heaven -- more mechanical art than you ever thought existed on the Planet.

One thing that just came to mind.... You may hear "bring gifts". Well, some people bring trinkets to hand out, but that stuff tends to wind up in the trash after a day or two. Much better to bring somthing that you are or do. Contribute of yourself, rather than with something you brought. Sing. Pick up trash. Help somebody erect their art or stake down their tent. Invite a stranger who happens to be passing by your camp to share in your meal (there are no strangers!).

Bicycle maintenance is a big issue, because the dust gets into the chains and bearings. So if you can fix bicycles, you will be a hero! Here is a typical BM anecdote: A burner carried a garden sprayer with water, and whenever he heard a bicycle with a squeeking chain, he would give that chain a quick rinse and the squeeking would usually stop. He tried to do this from behind, so the rider didn't even know why the noise went away and the bike suddenly rolled easier.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:24 AM   #23
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BLUEBIRD
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9

Excellent posts Elliot, Thanks for typing those up.

these helped me last year:

A Dork's Guide to Surviving Burning Man http://www.cieux.com/bm/dorksGuide.html

The Single Person's Heart Guide to Burning Man

http://people.tribe.net/ohtony/blog/...f-703c291cefe7

The Civilized Explorers burning man resource page- We printed out their shopping guide for Reno and it helped us find store to buy our last minute stuff

http://www.cieux.com/bm/bmtoc.html
Xtevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:39 PM   #24

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

After all this, looks like I won't make it this year. Really sucks when life gets in the way of things.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:33 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Now.... I do NOT intend to spend my precious annual week in Black Rock City raising some #$%&*&^%$# bus roof, but I do plan to bring the jacks and guides with me -- so another Skoolie-Burner can borrow them and then return them next year.

By the way; I'll be in Camp Inspiratum at 7:30 and Bonneville.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:22 AM   #26
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BLUEBIRD
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9

Elliot looking forward to seeing your bus and your sculptures. We will be parked at 6 & Fairlane, we'll stumble over for a big howdy.

The last few days have been a frenzy, need to make a note to bring the camera out to bus and take pictures.
Xtevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:59 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Sorry to hear about your frenzied days. Here in Clearlake, I'm not so much worried about MY frenzied last few days ----- I'm more concerned about the two months worth of fabrication I need to get done THIS week.

And my big Kinetic Racing Sculptures are staying home this year. I don't dare bring the "Counterfeit Bluesmobile" to the Playa -- the fiber glass body is just too fragile to risk people climbing on it. It has suffered a lot of cracks just racing this year. And "Henry Ford Goes Surfing" is apart for major repairs and upgrades. But there will be one or two human-powered kontraptions for you to take for a spin, for sure.

« Towing | How Far »