Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2018, 07:31 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
I got a reply from coachnet that they do "Skoolies" some people say they have to be self contained...what's the difference lol...
Self-contained usually means toilet (porta-pot works), sink, and electrical outlet(s). Most states don't check to see if they all work, just that they are in place.

I don't have a bus, but found out with my U-haul toy-hauler (race car). And I've loved Crown buses since riding on them in CA as a kid in the mid-late 70's.

Davard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:39 AM   #62
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Campbell View Post
If it were me, I'd change the oil and all the filters including the air filter as soon as it was convenient. 2 strokes will have problems running 4 stroke oil. The air filter will affect your mileage.
As I understand it, engines will vary but for most 6-71s, if you fill the oil to the full mark it will blow it out until it gets down to about half way. I coated my little pickup with oil until I figured it out. Mine likes it between the low mark and half full. I use about a quart+ every 500 miles or so. My temperature never gets above 190. Usually much lower. My motor should be at about 175,000.
If this rig is new to you, I would find a truck place that knows these motors and and have them do a complete service on the entire and tell you exactly how everything looks. Then you will know. It will be a few hundred bucks. It doesn't matter so much if you never go anywhere but if your going to see some hiway it's important to know how it really is. One less thing to have to think about.
Jerry

PS For me , those huge filters are almost impossible to get off.
Hi everyone I am looking to get tires for our Crown Bus, it currently has 12R 22.5 h tires. I was quoted like $2700 for all 6 not including tax and "additional" parts which can be another 5% from what they said. Is that too pricey or is that a just price? Also are these the only size tires or type of tires I can get for our bus?

Right now the 2 front steer tires are both showing some cracking all 6 tires have a date code from 2003-2005. So they are past the time, although the back ones don't look in bad condition as much as the front steer ones which have some cracking on the side walls.

If anyone with experience can guide me? Are 12 R 22.5 H tires the only size and type of tires I can get or are there more comparable tires for maybe a little less? I type that into Google and it shows me other tires too but idk which ones are compatible.
Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:53 AM   #63
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
$2700 is not bad, and about right. I have a friend that buys wholesale so for me I had a way to get them cheaper. However I was looking around $2500 for all 6 if I had bought them through normal retailers.

Tire size is dependent on rim size as well as other factors like load rating , clearance in fender wells, etc. So changing tire size needs to be done with good reason. I assume you are looking for a cheaper tire? Or a more commen tire? What i would look at is metric sizes. See what a 12r22.5 is closest too, like a 295 75R22.5. This is an example of the metric sizes, it may not be correct, so check with your tire shop for correct equivalent.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:00 AM   #64
Bus Crazy

Oh forgot to mention the rim size is stamped on the rim, it helps to know especially if you want a different size of tire as each tire size has a range of what rim width it will go on.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:07 AM   #65
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Oh forgot to mention the rim size is stamped on the rim, it helps to know especially if you want a different size of tire as each tire size has a range of what rim width it will go on.
Got it, also I noticed the 12R 22.5 h has an H, online I see some have a letter G or something else, what does this letter mean and can I go for tires with different letter or does it have to be H?
Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:16 AM   #66
Bus Crazy

It is the load range. If you know the weight of the bus , including each axle load then you may be able to use a different load range tire. The tire will say how much it can hold so add them up and compare to the actual weight of bus. Give yourself extra, I prefer to be in the 80% range of what the tire can hold. You may also want to find out what Crown spec'ed for tires when the bus was new, it will give you some insight as to whether the current tires are indeed correct for the bus.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:37 AM   #67
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
Got it, also I noticed the 12R 22.5 h has an H, online I see some have a letter G or something else, what does this letter mean and can I go for tires with different letter or does it have to be H?
Those letters are the SPEED rating of the tire. A G is rated at a maximum speed of 56mph. You can upgrade the speed rating used, just means you can safely go faster without tire failure. It does not however go up alphabetically. You would think H would be thinnest rating after G, But H is good for a 130mph. But after G at 56 comes a J at 62, K at 68, L at 75, etc. Why they stuck H(130) between U(124) and V (149), I have no idea.
Load index will be listed numerically not alphbetically. A 315/80 R22.5 L/20 Would be 315mm from bead to bead. the width of the tread would be 80% of 315mm. The 22.5 is wheel diameter and R designates it a Radial tire. L is the speed range of 75, and the 20 is a load range of 3085lbs.

Where did you find a 130mph rated bus tire?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:05 AM   #68
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
It is load range & ply.

In a 11r22.5:

G=14 ply / 6610lb

H=16 ply /7790lb

You can find more information here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...kHOiYw8zVwsNxc
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:24 AM   #69
Bus Crazy

I am running 10r22.5, so to use it as an example they are 10" wide at the widest point (the bulge if you will) when on the specifies 8.25 " inch rim width. The metric sizes are the same in that the width is total width when mounted on the spec'ed rim, which in truck tires is often about 2" narrower then the total or properly "section" width.

So a 315 mm width is not the rim width but section width
Old 05-22-2018, 12:22 PM   #70
Bus Geek

Quote:
I am running 10r22.5, so to use it as an example they are 10" wide at the widest point (the bulge if you will) when on the specifies 8.25 " inch rim width. The metric sizes are the same in that the width is total width when mounted on the spec'ed rim, which in truck tires is often about 2" narrower then the total or properly "section" width.

So a 315 mm width is not the rim width but section width
It is not a 315mm "width", it's the dimension from bead to bead on the tire, not the wheel. Bead is a tire reference, not a wheel reference.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:43 PM   #71
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
315 is the nominal width of the tire when mounted on the proper rim, not the width of the bead which would be the same as the width of the rim which can be varey by up to an inch and a half for some tires. Most truck tire have a fully loaded speed rating of between 65 and 75 mph, usually not indicated on the tire, you have to ask the maker
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #72
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
315 is the nominal width of the tire when mounted on the proper rim, not the width of the bead which would be the same as the width of the rim which can be varey by up to an inch and a half for some tires. Most truck tire have a fully loaded speed rating of between 65 and 75 mph, usually not indicated on the tire, you have to ask the maker
I stand corrected on the width. The speed rating, however, is required to be on the sidewall of every tire since 1991
Old 05-22-2018, 05:53 PM   #73
Bus Crazy

The speed rating I will not say is not true, although I have not seen it on truck tires myself. I did look on my new bus tires and it is not on them. Maybe it is a passenger car requirement? so on truck/bus tires it is optional.

I have seen it on car tires.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:29 PM   #74
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
All tires in the US are supposed to have a V (speed) rating.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:33 PM   #75
Bus Geek

Quote:
The speed rating I will not say is not true, although I have not seen it on truck tires myself. I did look on my new bus tires and it is not on them. Maybe it is a passenger car requirement? so on truck/bus tires it is optional.

I have seen it on car tires.
I'll admit defeat if you show me a pic of the stats on the side of your bus tire.