Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtram
Engine: Navstar 190
Rated Cap: 77
Day-by-Day hitting the road...

Hey all so we're f-i-n-a-l-l-y done sorting thru 22 years of our lives figuring out what we need, want, and just can't part with. That process is all but done- we head out to live on the road. Nomads- Our first stop will be in Virginia to put some things into storage. Lighten our load and then, well we just don't really know yet. We figure our first order of business is take a week a "veg". Then we'll see what happens from there- Any of you going to be close to the VA-TN border on I-81 in a couple weeks?

Any sugesstions, on where a bunch of crafter/painters/candlemakers/ tattoo artists might make a dollar or two? I sure hope to find many of you all on the road...

Old 08-14-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
Skoolie

Re: Day-by-Day hitting the road...

Ok well what an adventure this has been...

Got to t VA line- badda bing- alternator went out. Went another 180 miles- ba woom- radiator hose blew. So we're working the bugs out that's for sure.

Anyone know how to keep this baby cooler? We're running hotter than a 5$ pistol.... average temp is right at 230. Of course we are exceeding the weight limit by ALOT! We're gonna be unoading lots of our junk here- hope it helps. Or- I'll have to try extra fans.

It's been fun
Old 08-15-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
Skoolie

Thanks Mighty

Yeah already driving pretty slow 55 or less. Clutch fan is still good, asked the guy putting in alternator about that.

Well, not knowing alot about these- so where is the thermostat- (Amtran 444 pusher) located- can I find one at a regular car parts place?
Guess it might be wiser to check into a service place for this- but I'm cheap... so try to do as much of this as I can myself.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
Almost There

Do a search for a thread titled "Overheating! Help me out". I couldnt get the link to work properly or I'd imbed it here.

They have a 97 AmTran with the same problem. Lots of good suggestions there.
Castro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
Skoolie

Well found out the thermostat wasn't the issue- found 160 put it in still heats up to 230... have not cleaned fins- will be doing that next. We are still in VA, getting things set up.

Guess I'll keep plugging away, bummer having to pull off every series of hills. On flat land we sit right at 200, hills heat us up.

Keep you all posted as too my progress...
Old 08-19-2009, 11:25 PM   #6
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: international
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 22

Check radiator cap, hose . Sorry your hacving so much trouble. We have had those kind of days too .
shortstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
Skoolie

Well- I think I may have found the problem. There are two wires coming from in front of the fan, evidently one got snagged by the fan blades, and snapped. So I traced it back to it's source, and spliced it together. That helped some, I also went ahead and installed what I have come to call "dumbo ears" to scoop more air into the engine compartment. We went ahead and cleaned the raditor out with the air hose- with all that done- light only came on once.

It gets up to 220 up hills but cools right off to 180-190 on the way down-

Here is the "doo-hicky" with the snapped wire

So is this the sending unit Tells the fan to kick in, or what does it do?
Old 08-23-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
Skoolie

Thanks everyone-

We are in Oklahoma at the moment. Anyone need a Tattoo? Soy wax candles? Home made soap? Cash runnin' low... we're here.