Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2018, 05:06 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP 11 window 32’
Engine: CAT 3126E
Rated Cap: 72
European school bus

I’m sure most bus owners on here started to look at skoolies in a different light at some point or another. I certainly did. We’re on a family trip in Europe for a few weeks. These are the only ones I saw in Berlin. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4625.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	504.7 KB
ID:	22712

Old 05-29-2018, 06:04 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
My wife grew up in the UK and she said they only chartered buses for school trips.
Otherwise they walked.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:28 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Makes sense. These were chartered for sure. Great public transportation system here as well. We’re on a train, headed to Frankfurt & less populated areas beyond for a while. I’ll be looking.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:12 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboater View Post
Makes sense. These were chartered for sure. Great public transportation system here as well. We’re on a train, headed to Frankfurt & less populated areas beyond for a while. I’ll be looking.
Have you been to Koln?
I had a great time over there.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:50 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Have you been to Koln?

I had a great time over there.

Never been to western Germany. Would love to go. The southern part reminds me of Vermont & New Hampshire, just add a 1000 yo castle overlooking every river valley.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:46 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Blue Bird sold a few All American pushers in England some years ago - have you ever seen a BBAA with its door on the left side? Not a huge success (I wonder why...) Kids are not as coddled and over-protected there as here, so they walk (shock horror) or ride a bike (oh god, what next), or take the regular bus or train (it can't get any worse), and guess what, they don't all die every day on the way to school. Actually, they live, every day. What a concept.

At nine years old I was booking a taxi to take me from my school at the end of term (it was a boarding school) to the nearest town, buying my train ticket to Gatwick Airport, going through check-in and security by myself, and getting on the morning BUA flight to Rotterdam in the Netherlands (in a BAC 1-11 no less! ) with passport in hand. I was an international jetsetter before my voice broke. I find it hard to believe that kids these days can't get themselves a few miles to school or anywhere else without their mummsy driving them in some obscenely overweight SUV or breederwagon everywhere - what sort of whingeing adults will they turn out to be? Jeez.

Rant over!

And yes, buses for school use in England were often the oldest crappiest buses that the local company could find, knowing that they would soon end up looking like similar buses anywhere else in the world. I rode many a mile on school trips in an ancient 1950s Commer Avenger bus with some awful Duple body that smelled of unspeakable things, and it was LOUD. With a 2-stroke TS3 engine screaming its guts out under a cover whose sound padding had gone years before, my ears would be ringing after a few miles. Bliss! Maybe that's where I developed my liking for 2-stroke diesels (along with Deltics)?

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:08 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Blue Bird sold a few All American pushers in England some years ago - have you ever seen a BBAA with its door on the left side? Not a huge success (I wonder why...) Kids are not as coddled and over-protected there as here, so they walk (shock horror) or ride a bike (oh god, what next), or take the regular bus or train (it can't get any worse), and guess what, they don't all die every day on the way to school. Actually, they live, every day. What a concept.

At nine years old I was booking a taxi to take me from my school at the end of term (it was a boarding school) to the nearest town, buying my train ticket to Gatwick Airport, going through check-in and security by myself, and getting on the morning BUA flight to Rotterdam in the Netherlands (in a BAC 1-11 no less! ) with passport in hand. I was an international jetsetter before my voice broke. I find it hard to believe that kids these days can't get themselves a few miles to school or anywhere else without their mummsy driving them in some obscenely overweight SUV or breederwagon everywhere - what sort of whingeing adults will they turn out to be? Jeez.

Rant over!

And yes, buses for school use in England were often the oldest crappiest buses that the local company could find, knowing that they would soon end up looking like similar buses anywhere else in the world. I rode many a mile on school trips in an ancient 1950s Commer Avenger bus with some awful Duple body that smelled of unspeakable things, and it was LOUD. With a 2-stroke TS3 engine screaming its guts out under a cover whose sound padding had gone years before, my ears would be ringing after a few miles. Bliss! Maybe that's where I developed my liking for 2-stroke diesels (along with Deltics)?

John
FWIW violence is not uniquely American.
Kids get stabbed and murdered on the streets of Glasgow all the time. They're the murder capital of western Europe.
Our uncle by marriage was just shot four times in the head execution style in his car in Glasgow.

But I do agree- kids these days are coddled and babied beyond belief.
We act as thought there aren't enough people to go around already!

BTW- I just LOVE Rotterdam. Its really an amazing city.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:14 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Well, no skoolies in Paris. However, this shorty transit bus is pretty cool! 100% electric. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5249.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	511.2 KB
ID:	22993