Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2020, 07:56 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Going full time very soon!

Hi everyone. My house is for sale, my wife of 31 years wants to do her own thing now so it looks like I'm going to hit the road full time pretty soon. December 4th is the closing date on house sale if all goes well. I live north of Sonora. CA. At 5000' so I need to get the bus to lower altitudes before winter sets in. I'm 57 years old, still in good shape! Ha. My 1974 Crown is in very good running condition so hopefully I won't have any issues. I'm probably going down to Arizona for the winter to think things over. I am a little nervous but excited at the same time. I'm so used to having someone to share travel and experience with so I suppose I'm not really looking forward to being alone. This Covid isn't helping with getting to meet new people either but obviously we all have to be careful and thoughtful towards others safety. I guess I'm writing this to see if any other travelers have been in my situation and can offer any advice. Just curious really. Its a new chapter in my life but I suppose it could be a good one too! Look forward to hearing from others.

Alsbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:20 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
First, pistol. Also, you could ferry a passenger (a paying stranger, not a lot lizard) along to help fend off coyotes while you make surprise repairs. Last, you have a beautiful Crown.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:50 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
It sounds like you've got a great attitude about the situation. We've met some really nice people on the road, even during Covid. I can't speak for anyone else, but we've never run into trouble with shady people or sticky situations. Lake Mead was a bit sketchy, but we weren't in any particular danger. We've offered help and been offered help when we've had breakdowns (car, not bus) and have been able to responsibly recreate in nature.

If you're outdoorsey it helps, but once this pandemic eases you'll be able to explore those small mountain towns and those sorts of things. Sedona/Cottonwood AZ was comfortable for us in December and January, so you don't need to go down further than that into AZ if you don't like the desert. If you install a diesel air heater, which I highly recommend, you can bear the brunt of some of the colder weather.
There's a pretty large community of nomads in Quartzite, AZ during the winter months. You'll definitely be able to meet fellow travelers down there if you find you need some company. Good luck man, you got this.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:06 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I so appreciate the replies. A little bit more about me! I am British and I've done my fair share of traveling. But always with my wife! I am not really worried about the unknowns, more the loneliness I guess. I'm a pretty decent mechanic. Always done my own maintenance unless I was too busy working. I've lived in Mexico, El Salvador, Nicaragua. Mainly for 6 to 12 months at a time just passing through on a sailboat. I've done construction most of my life so I can, or at least think I can! Fix pretty much anything. My first post may have been misleading and that's my fault! I should have been clearer. I'm probably a little shell shocked and just wrote what I was feeling at the time I guess. Anyway! I love the outdoors, I love hiking, I'm very rarely nervous of anyone I meet, and I've been in some very weird places around very weird people but I take it all as life experiences. I'm a very positive person most of the time so I'm probably just reaching out to like minded people on here. This is a great community and a wealth of knowledge. It will be strange traveling alone I guess but I am one of them guys that people just come up to and chat away! So I'm sure I will meet some wonderful people on my new adventure. Oh! Carrying a gun is not an option for me. I grew up in England so I've never been around firearms. It would be different if I was used to owning one and being confident in using it but I respect what they can do! Especially in the wrong hands. I'm also here on a Green Card so not sure how that works when questioned in different states carrying a weapon for protection. Thanks for taking the time to read my post and any response is a good response! Hope bump into some of you down the road. Owning a Crown Supercoach attracts so many people wherever I stop so meeting new people will be an everyday thing I guess. Safe travels to all! Alan.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:13 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Great info! Thank you
Old 11-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
I'm a fairly hard-line second amendment advocate, but I wouldn't encourage anyone whom is uncomfortable around firearms to carry or own one. If you think its not for you, you're probably right.

You might consider bear spray, which could also help you deal with large critters should the time come. Bare minimum be able to lock your rig, and be able to see what is going on outside. Also common sense applies: pay heed to your gut; don't stop somewhere if it doesn't feel right.

As for being lonely, consider a pet if you don't have one. We have cats, many bus/van lifers have dogs as well. And maybe install some speakers- giving you the ability to play music or listen to a book or something. Outright silence can be unnerving at times.

Best of luck.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
As for being lonely, consider a pet if you don't have one. We have cats, many bus/van lifers have dogs as well. And maybe install some speakers- giving you the ability to play music or listen to a book or something. Outright silence can be unnerving at times.

Best of luck.
Those are good tips. Pets can be hit of miss, of course. Our dog cracks us up and gets us out walking a few miles a day and is generally a great companion, but the trade-off is when you want to run in to town or whatever...it can get a little tricky with the heat or the cold. Just something to think about.
The bear spray is a great idea and something you should probably have anyway for hiking but can really double as home protection. Same with the radio, it's a great idea. We installed a satellite radio that's connected to the house batteries. It's nice to have some tunes, talk radio, or old-timey radio shows to listen to. Especially when there's no cell service and we can't be online or stream TV.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:20 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
If ya get down to sw New Mexico you are welcome to dry camp on our 40 for a while.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:16 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
If ya get down to sw New Mexico you are welcome to dry camp on our 40 for a while.
Thank you for the offer! I really appreciate it. I may take you up on that at some point.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:40 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Hi, I was looking for a pic of your Crown. But, I didn't find it. Others must have by the comments I have seen. I do have one tip for you. Invest in some wasp spray. For protection. The can sprays 30 to 40 feet. safer than pepper spray and legal in all states
i think. Guns are not legal to carry in some states. especially on the east coast. I cannot travel through Virginia or Maryland with my Conceal carry permit or not. I am not sure how that is treated in a moving home. When I was growing up we Dad always carried a pistol when we traveled. Have a wonderful time and enjoy life to the fullest!
nailtechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:12 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I’m pro 2nd amendment. When I was a kid we always had firearms on the road, but in all those years, fortunately was never needed. As an adult Ive never carried a gun except for target practice. I rode a bicycle many thousands of miles on the west coast, without a metal box around me. I’ve camped all over the place, back packed all over the place. I only had one incident where there was violence, but it wasn’t directed at me and a 911 call potentially saved a woman from the violence of her captor. In that case it was the stealth of riding in silently alone on a bicycle into an otherwise empty state park that had me happen upon that situation. The sheriff told me that she was really fortunate I came along. In that case I wouldn’t have inserted myself into that situation in the pitch black.

My advice which has already been given is to get a bear spray. In the very unlikely event you end up in a situation, you have something to buy you some time to evade the attacker.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:34 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Flame throwers are the new thing out here since firearms are pretty much sold out.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:36 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
Flame throwers are the new thing out here since firearms are pretty much sold out.
Seriously? I know there's a shortage, but come on...
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:05 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsbus View Post
Hi everyone. My house is for sale, my wife of 31 years wants to do her own thing now so it looks like I'm going to hit the road full time pretty soon.
That stinks - sorry to hear and feel bad for ya. I've been there (married 25 years) so know how it feels. My best suggestions are to stay active and attempt to differentiate happiness from loneliness. I struggled with that for many years. It's a subtle thing but helped me.

Many good places to winter in the southwest. The Lake Havasu area is a good one. You will quickly learn that either there is very little to fear or the lifestyle is not for you.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:17 AM   #15
Almost There

Hi Alan. Just throwing this out there, but have you considered HAM Radio? I am a HAM operator and if you want social interaction without close contact I highly recommend it. It's also great if you are in an area of no cell service. There are ham repeaters all over North America so it's very rare to not to hear chatter on air. It's also a great safety device. / Ron / VE3SDQ.
capnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:36 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnron View Post
Hi Alan. Just throwing this out there, but have you considered HAM Radio? I am a HAM operator and if you want social interaction without close contact I highly recommend it. It's also great if you are in an area of no cell service. There are ham repeaters all over North America so it's very rare to not to hear chatter on air. It's also a great safety device. / Ron / VE3SDQ.
Hi Alan and Capnron, We had a situation where a hot air balloon doing a long distance flight. we are in the mountains of West Virginia, the pilot took off. When I went for a radio check he was out of range already. So, I highly recommend Ham radios. Ham radio operators are also happy to be repeaters if you need to get a message out. They are a wonderful group of folks. The next balloon convention, I suggested contacting and having a Ham radio on the chase vehicle. I don't know if it was used or not. But, they can pick up smaller devices and FFA radio signals.
I am planning on getting one for my rig whenever I can manage a rig.
Take care,
nailtechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:09 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailtechie View Post
Hi Alan and Capnron, We had a situation where a hot air balloon doing a long distance flight. we are in the mountains of West Virginia, the pilot took off. When I went for a radio check he was out of range already. So, I highly recommend Ham radios. Ham radio operators are also happy to be repeaters if you need to get a message out. They are a wonderful group of folks. The next balloon convention, I suggested contacting and having a Ham radio on the chase vehicle. I don't know if it was used or not. But, they can pick up smaller devices and FFA radio signals.
I am planning on getting one for my rig whenever I can manage a rig.
Take care,
All good advice! I appreciate all the suggestions. I assume there is a license needed to operate HAM. Also, what sought of cost are we looking at to get into it?
Old 11-28-2020, 10:26 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Engine: 7.3L Navistar T444e Diesel
I am sorry to hear that your wife made that decision. It is truly a sad thing. However, since you are not the one walking out, do the best you can to enjoy time alone and at peace. Praying is always a huge help, and trust in God. This life is temporary anyway: EVERYTHING material stays behind, and it's just a blink compared to eternity.

I live in Arizona and love it here. Still need to finish my bus and hope to do lots of exploring of this state and. the US in it, as well as in my off-road rig.

As far as firearms' obviously your choice. But let me put in my two cents, just for thought...

Being British and having no experience is not a reason to not have a firearm: it is a reason to learn how to use one safely. No one is born knowing firearms, bicycles, cars, radios, etc... we learn. You would just be learning a little later.

Firearms are like any other tool: used irresponsibly or without at least some training/practice, you can get hurt or hurt someone else.

While most of us never have and hopefully never will need a firearm, that doesn't mean we shouldn't have one. No-one knows the future. Personally, I consider it a duty to be armed because you never know if you will need to help someone and save their life, or your own. This can be from an assault, a mob, a wild animal...

Something as simple as double barrel shotgun, a revolver, a lever action rifle... older style weapons that are still very effective. And if you ever want to travel into Canada, you can usually be OK with those as long as you have them cleared way ahead of time with the proper authorities (Royal Canadian Mounted Police is who I dealt with).

Bear spray is a great idea. I carry it hiking. Most effective method for defense.
But I also carry a large caliber pistol. This is because there have been bears (rare) that aren't affected by it, because if the wind is blowing at you, you will get sprayed and become nicely seasoned for the bear. Also because in the event of being in a tent or indoors when needed, you are going to be in a big world of hurt.
I ran into a big black bear in the smokies with three other friends. Everyone was armed and one of us had bear spray. When he reached for the spray, it was missing. He had dropped it earlier. Some hikers had it and gave it to us just minutes later.
The bear went around us etc. and no problems, thank God.

It's just insurance, that's all.

Anyway, I serve with the Arizona Rangers and I am a certified NRA pistol instructor, so if you're ever around the White Mountains in Arizona and want to get a little simple pistol instruction, let me know.

Keep your chin up, be safe, and live!
Joe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:11 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you Joe for taking the time to reply. And thank you for the offer! Alan.