Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-12-2022, 06:14 AM   #41
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Eaton Rapids
Posts: 20
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Eldorado
Chassis: E450
Engine: 6.0 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14+2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloc View Post

Getting turned away is a small part of why I plan on using a flat nose bus as opposed to a dognose. A properly painted flatnose can be mistaken for a regular RV, but a dognose is a school bus no matter what you do with it. I personally would rather have a dognose for ease of engine access, plus they look better. But, improving campground access odds along with the extra room is pushing me into a flatnose.
mine's an E450 in the front - nothing to see here, just an ordinary Class C

seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 11:11 AM   #42
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 17,336
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post
mine's an E450 in the front - nothing to see here, just an ordinary Class C



some campgrounds have an "age limit".. acquaintence of mine kept getting refused in his real RV because it was "too old".. so he swapped the new style E350 nose onto his old E350 camper.. chrome grill and all.. his RV was already in near perfect shape..


now he never gets refused .. they all think its "new"

the swap was quite intensive to get right .. took some custom mount parts as apparently the vans differed enough through the years..



I only got involved as we had to take the A/C out for part of the work.. and then put it back...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 11:29 AM   #43
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Eaton Rapids
Posts: 20
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Eldorado
Chassis: E450
Engine: 6.0 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14+2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
some campgrounds have an "age limit".. acquaintence of mine kept getting refused in his real RV because it was "too old".. so he swapped the new style E350 nose onto his old E350 camper.. chrome grill and all.. his RV was already in near perfect shape..


now he never gets refused .. they all think its "new"

the swap was quite intensive to get right .. took some custom mount parts as apparently the vans differed enough through the years..



I only got involved as we had to take the A/C out for part of the work.. and then put it back...
wonder how different 2004 to 2014 is.. :scratches chin:
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 12:17 PM   #44
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 17,336
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
His is around 04 or 05 and he put the 08-15 style front in I think it came from a 13 van that had been whacked darn good in the back
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 02:12 PM   #45
Bus Crazy
 
HamSkoolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,284
Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
some campgrounds have an "age limit".. acquaintence of mine kept getting refused in his real RV because it was "too old".. so he swapped the new style E350 nose onto his old E350 camper.. chrome grill and all.. his RV was already in near perfect shape..

now he never gets refused .. they all think its "new"

Haters can't hate what they think is new.
__________________
YouTube: HAMSkoolie WEB: HAMSkoolie.com
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 02:57 PM   #46
Mini-Skoolie
 
Jay Brand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Springfield Missouri
Posts: 34
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird TC2000
Engine: 24 valve 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Haters can't hate what they think is new.
In Missouri when you have the title switched from bus to RV, you get a whole new VIN tag and your title says it's a brand new rig lol.
Jay Brand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 09:00 PM   #47
Bus Crazy
 
HamSkoolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,284
Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Brand View Post
In Missouri when you have the title switched from bus to RV, you get a whole new VIN tag and your title says it's a brand new rig lol.

Well that's interesting to know.
__________________
YouTube: HAMSkoolie WEB: HAMSkoolie.com
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 07:45 AM   #48
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 17,336
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Brand View Post
In Missouri when you have the title switched from bus to RV, you get a whole new VIN tag and your title says it's a brand new rig lol.

thats pretty sweet!!


some of the paint jobs ive seen on conversions here look better than commercial RV's you could totally get away with it.. "its the new Blue bird wander-lodge!"
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 02:48 PM   #49
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Peru. IN
Posts: 170
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: NB18FD Oshkosh
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 18,500
I have only had a problem with one campground in the last three years with my sprinter van. When he asked what I was driving the wife told him sprinter van. He said they were booked full for that night. The next campground was 20 miles down the road. They let use make a res for that night. Seeing as how I was going right by that first campground guess what I did.

I stopped in and walked up to the counter. I asked if he had any openings. His reply "yes I do". He had been looking the sprinter over while I was walking in. About that time another couple walked in that followed me into the grounds. They were in a later model class C. Then I asked that clown why he lied to my wife earlier today. He asked what I was talking about. I told him about trying to book a res earlier in the day and he was full. He said he didn't remember that happening. I told him it did and from now on do not judge a camper by what he thinks is a pile of junk conversion. You wouldn't give me a res when told it was a converted sprinter. Show up in person and all of a sudden I can get a res because the van looks good. Then I told him I didn't need his campground. There is one 20 miles down the road that didn't judge me or my camper.

Funny part the people waiting in line followed me out the door and asked if they could follow me to the other campground.
PhilipE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 12:58 AM   #50
Bus Crazy
 
DeMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,100
Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Rodeo Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipE View Post
I have only had a problem with one campground in the last three years with my sprinter van. When he asked what I was driving the wife told him sprinter van. He said they were booked full for that night. The next campground was 20 miles down the road. They let use make a res for that night. Seeing as how I was going right by that first campground guess what I did.

I stopped in and walked up to the counter. I asked if he had any openings. His reply "yes I do". He had been looking the sprinter over while I was walking in. About that time another couple walked in that followed me into the grounds. They were in a later model class C. Then I asked that clown why he lied to my wife earlier today. He asked what I was talking about. I told him about trying to book a res earlier in the day and he was full. He said he didn't remember that happening. I told him it did and from now on do not judge a camper by what he thinks is a pile of junk conversion. You wouldn't give me a res when told it was a converted sprinter. Show up in person and all of a sudden I can get a res because the van looks good. Then I told him I didn't need his campground. There is one 20 miles down the road that didn't judge me or my camper.

Funny part the people waiting in line followed me out the door and asked if they could follow me to the other campground.
--------------

Reminds me of the film
Pretty Woman

Julia:
"You work on commission, right? Big mistake."

...exit, stage left
__________________
Ceiling: Framing & Electrical Rough-in
Convert Hatch to AC & Roof Patch
Frederick Douglass: "If there is no struggle, there is no progress.Ē
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 07:57 AM   #51
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 219
I donít give anyone a chance to turn me down over the phone. No reservations for me. I just show up in my F-700 and ask if they have a spot open.
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 10:58 AM   #52
Mini-Skoolie
 
Jay Brand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Springfield Missouri
Posts: 34
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird TC2000
Engine: 24 valve 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 42
I've never been turned down at a RV park. I send them a glamour shot of the bus ahead of time and tell them it's a 2021 like my title says and they've always been very receptive. I did paint my bus in Chromabase automotive paint with Wilco clear coat over the top.
Jay Brand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 08:21 PM   #53
Mini-Skoolie
 
Retired Roughneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Oregon
Posts: 19
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ford E350
Engine: 6.0 power stroke Diesel
Rated Cap: wife & 2 corgis
im new with a 05 thompson shorty in great OEM condition. i have only done 1300 miles & about 10 camps on/off grid in a few months. people either love it or they just assume i am a tweeker...... if a campground dont let me in then i dont wanna be there. i actually prefer state parks! but recently some have closed down overnight camping due to the riff-raff that come and leave a mess.....i call it ""THE TWEEKER APACOLYPS''. pretty sad when families cant go camping anymore.....
Retired Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 12:41 PM   #54
Almost There
 
crowcreekcabin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Galena, Alaska
Posts: 73
Year: 1972
Coachwork: Superior Coach
Chassis: International Harvester 1603
Engine: International Harvester SV304
In person with a cute short bus has never failed me.

Even at the snooty parks, a friendly one on one interaction has always worked for me.

Vintage short bus somehow puts off the cute vibe - no offense to the long riders!

Also, if you pull in after hours, I have done "self-check-in"... No chance to turn me down...

Off season camping also helps. My money somehow gets a little greener when the park is only half full.

Very little trouble with finding a spot with more than 12K miles traveled. That being said, an RV park is my last choice if there are any other opportunities to camp within a reasonable distance.
crowcreekcabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
campgrounds, skoolie friendly

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.