Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2020, 04:03 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Insulation question

Any experienced opinions on insulation of short Skoolie?

BusZen2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:16 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Insulation doesn't change by size, you just need less of the material you eventually choose. Lots of threads about insulation options and lots of opinions in every direction.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:06 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Hey thanks for that super fast comment reply Brokedown!
I should be more specific: was wondering if there’s a special type / thickness / brand of insulation that will fit in between the inner and outer metal or if spray insulation is the way to go?
BusZen2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:04 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
A typical bus has ribs that are 1.5" thick (the space between the ceiling and roof panels), so 1.5" XPS foam fits well although it doesn't bend enough on its own to handle the curviest parts of the roof without kerfing or piecing. The ribs are typically about 27" on center so the gaps between are about 25.5", a bit inconvenient for 4'x8' sheets.

Rockwool is available at the big box stores typically in 1.5" thickness and it's bendy enough to handle the ceiling, but it's usually in 16" wide batts which doesn't work great with the rib spacing. Slightly lower R-value than XPS, but it's better acoustic insulation.

Well-applied spray foam gives you the insulating value of foam and also seals the cavity from moisture, but it's pretty expensive. Seems most people need at least two of the kits which is about $1300. Some people who DIY this have stated that they wished they had hired pros to do it - the good news is pros often cost about the same as the kits. You need warm temperatures to apply it, and you have to worry about "oil-canning" when the pressure of the expanding foam bulges out your side panels.

A general impression I get is that about equal numbers of people on skoolie.net do XPS foam board (or less often EPS or polyiso) and spray foam; rock wool is very rare. Stuff like denim insulation is even rarer.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:27 PM   #5

I see a lot of vidoe of people taking out the whole interior to spray foam - so I am wondering, why cant you jsut drill some holes and spray the foam in? Foam expands to fill a space and the labor of getting all therivets off and aluminum down seems endless.
BostonBarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:30 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBarbara View Post
I see a lot of vidoe of people taking out the whole interior to spray foam - so I am wondering, why cant you jsut drill some holes and spray the foam in? Foam expands to fill a space and the labor of getting all therivets off and aluminum down seems endless.
There are a few reasons, but the biggest obstacle is that there is usually already stuff in there - fiberglass insulation.

Tags
insulation, shorty