Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2021, 10:40 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

June trip to Yellowstone - Concerns, Skoolie Snobs?

Hey all,

This summer we're planning on taking our 40' Bluebird to Yellowstone park for a week. I'm just curious what everyone's experiences were. Were the roads suitable for a skoolie, are there any campsites to avoid because they're RV (deathtrap) only?

I ask because I can still see the red-faced angry man trying to drive his ginormous RV from Colorado Springs to Cripple Creek on the Old Stagecoach Road. I don't want to end up in that kind of situation.

Thanks in advance!

nelmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:08 PM   #2

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: Ford 429
i suppose this is a little late but watch out for some of the turns going into the park they are a little tight and see if you can spot the blue paint we left on a guard rail back in 2010. get ready. We had no trouble but I'm struggling to remember the name of the site.
snazzbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:28 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
There are a lot of big RVs and tour buses in and out of the park daily. I can't say for specific campgrounds, but most should be fine. The biggest problem is there are people and vehicles everywhere and at every day use parking lot, so trying to do day trips in the bus could get annoying or impossible. So many people go there.
Mountain Yawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:33 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
If you're planning on camping in one of the park campgrounds, you best see if you can get a spot now.There aren't a lot of spots that'll fit a rig of that size and they very well may be booked up by now. We looked at camping inside the park and most spots couldn't fit a rig that size. They were also booked up, and this was after Labor Day 2019. Last summer was insanely busy and this summer is supposed to be just as busy. LOTS of people are RVing during covid.

If you're staying outside the park, like in a private campground or something, you may still need to book a spot ASAP. There are boondocking spots in the area, which is how we visited Yellowstone, but we had a tow vehicle to explore inside the park with. Not saying it can't be done, but it'll help a lot if you're willing to boondock maybe an hour or so away and do day trips.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:49 PM   #5
Almost There

Year: 1972
Coachwork: Superior Coach
Chassis: International Harvester 1603
Engine: International Harvester SV304
Thumbs up No problems in winter..

I loved it in winter. Went in Nov/Dec. 2020

No real crowds, smooth traffic, 1/2 full parking lots.

Still plenty of people but nothing crazy.
Only positive comments on the bus from park staff and other campers.
Mine is only 22' long, so I didn't even rub up on the guard rails.

I compared this experience with extended family from a summer trip they had in a mini-van the previous summer..

Big crowds, Grid-lock traffic, parking lots full to overflowing, hard to find a camping spot...

That was previous to Covid, so your experience may vary.

We hit the Grand Canyon on the same winter trip with similar results.. Even less people camping at the Canyon... Off season is my season.
crowcreekcabin is offline   Reply With Quote