Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2021, 11:45 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
Lessons Learned

A couple of weeks ago we were headed out across Washington state for a visit to friends and in laws. About half way there, my 17 yo son had just taken the wheel. He noticed some fairly strong vibrations just after starting from the rest area. We decided to pull off in Ritzville, WA, a few miles further to investigate.

Suddenly, a huge bang and puff of smoke from the front and ongoing horrid banging. I freaked, assuming a piston was removing itself from the engine. He eased over to the shoulder where we discovered the passenger side front tire in shreds though still inflated. The tread had delaminated like so many truck tires you see at this time of year. Just last week, I had been researching what jack to buy, etc. but hadn't gotten as far as purchasing. The tire had ripped out the fender liner, mud flap and a wire that ran to the passenger relay panel. Also tore up the fender pretty badly. The wire damage knocked out our rear A/C and marker lights.

We called Good Sam. I have towing, but not tire coverage. The operator wanted to call a mobile tire repair. I declined due to cost ($400 for tire and install) and asked for my free tow to the Les Schwab Tires 5 miles away. After much go around with Good Sam, they finally sent me info on a tow company that had been dispatched. They would be 5 hours in coming!

In the meantime, my wife had researched tire options and found what Schwab carried. So I called Les Schwab and they quoted the same $400 (270 for the tire, 120 roadside repair) and could be out in 20 minute. Suddenly the $400 repair sounded pretty good. They arrived, fixed the flat and agreed to follow me to their shop to check the other tires. As soon as I pulled out, I knew there were bigger issues- No power, max of 40mph.
1. Lesson learned- Good Sam might help, but it might be a fat minute and not exactly what you wanted.

We got to the tire shop and they checked the other tires. Over-inflated but still in good shape. I had been told by the district to run 80psi but with the heat, that was too much. They recommended 70psi (225/75R-16).
2. Lesson learned- Too much pressure+too much hot weather=very bad day.

Mechanics were closed by the time we hit town but the tire guy directed me to NAPA across the street for a code reader. There was a bunch of excess wire hanging down in the wheel well so I cut and splice but it didn't correct the A/C or markers. The code reader brought up a code for "Fuel pump secondary circuit voltage low". Hmm. A local mechanic answered my call but said he had no time till mid day tomorrow (friday) and nothing would get done since parts would have to come from the city on Monday. While digesting this info I decided to hit up the good ol' internet. Within a few minutes, a guy described exactly my issue. He had had a front end collision.

3. Lesson Learned- When you have an impact, a breaker trips in the fuel pump relay to stop fuel from being pumped. There's a reset switch on the top of the relay (for Ford Econoline owners this is located under the passenger dash in a wiring cluster). Push that reset, fuel pump problem solved!! We were back on the road, albeit no A/C or Markers.

A few days later I worked for a few hours replacing the damaged wire. I pulled the battery to locate where it attached (and was damaged) in the engine bay and ran all new wire back to the relay panel in the cabin. Really a minor miracle given the crude tools my father in law had to contribute. All systems go! I had been reluctant to pull the battery because the Positive terminal looked all buggered up and I didn't want to break it. I found that it had an aluminum cap to accommodate the lug being loose. I replaced that cap and cleaned up all the terminals. Good to go!

We headed home a couple days later. Halfway home we stopped for fuel in CLe Elum, WA and planned to camp nearby. When I went to start the bus, I only got a half crank, then nothing. For 1 1/2 hours I searched high and low for issues while blocking the Safeway fuel pump. Finally I pulled the battery just to check around it. When replaced, it fired right up.

4. Lesson Learned- Just a slightly loose connection (at the battery terminal) can reduce amperage enough to prevent starting. Even though I cleaned, lubed and tightened those terminals, one was still just a bit slippery. Check the simple stuff (and the last thing touched) first!

Most of you veterans will nod and say yep, but maybe someone can learn from our trip.
Attached Thumbnails
20210624_163032.jpg   20210624_173203 (2).jpg   20210706_205942.jpg   Inked20210706_205926_LI.jpg   20210629_141242 (3).jpg  

peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 11:52 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Thank you for sharing all of this! I'm glad you made it home, but even more appreciative of the lessons you shared.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:53 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Pocket is only a little lighter, valuable lesson shared and nobody hurt.
That's a win in my book!
Thank you.
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 02:19 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
A friend was driving my old Ranchero and I was driving my bus when he threw a peel from a front wheel. It still held air and we were able to get off the highway and onto some farm roads to a tire shop at 20 MPH

I still haven’t learned. No spare no jack today :/
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote