Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2017, 06:33 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC3S530
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 41
Lucille goes over the hump

Here is Lucille crossing Vail pass (10,628 feet) on what had to be THE last possible moment available for this year without chain law in effect SOMEWHERE along the route. I do wish Lucille still had her set of automatic chains that install on the fly ... but they were scavenged by the school district that sold us Lucille.

Again ... i cannot state clearly enough how well this bus runs ... the mileage it gets is truly surprising. She knocked down 9.55 mpg on that brutal Denver to Vegas run. There was one very long climb to 7300 feet in Utah that made her overheat pretty badly ... i stopped her immediately and kept her running - this cooled her down quickly and restored the oil pressure to normal - she peaked at 230 and the trans even popped up to 140. I will remember that climb and take a slightly less aggressive approach to it next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-29-2017, 08:02 AM   #2
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteoricide View Post
Here is Lucille crossing Vail pass (10,628 feet) on what had to be THE last possible moment available for this year without chain law in effect SOMEWHERE along the route. I do wish Lucille still had her set of automatic chains that install on the fly ... but they were scavenged by the school district that sold us Lucille.

Again ... i cannot state clearly enough how well this bus runs ... the mileage it gets is truly surprising. She knocked down 9.55 mpg on that brutal Denver to Vegas run. There was one very long climb to 7300 feet in Utah that made her overheat pretty badly ... i stopped her immediately and kept her running - this cooled her down quickly and restored the oil pressure to normal - she peaked at 230 and the trans even popped up to 140. I will remember that climb and take a slightly less aggressive approach to it next time.

Also, the aspen trees along the hump route are at peak color and have become my favorite fall foliages. Short of one of the eastern oaks that turn bright electric reddish orange, there is no way to describe how bright and cheery aspen are in their fall best.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:22 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
235 is the tipping point for the 444E, the alarm is set to ring when the ECM sees coolant temp of 235.. keeping it runnign asnd coolking it down is exactly the right thing to do when you know its not a catastrophic failure like a belt or coolant loss..

the engine also begins to de-rate when the oil temperature goes over 216, so if you felt like you started to lose power.. you were.. all normal..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:38 PM   #4
Almost There

All true Christopher ... and I remembered from the service manual about the oil jet assemblies that shoot oil at the underside of the pistons to cool them. How can that happen with the engine shut down?

L