Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2015, 11:52 AM   #21

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Actually, that first photo is of Further!, which is a historically important vehicle IMHO. Ken Kesey owned it and travelled in it; it was at Woodstock; it figures prominently in Tom Wolfe's The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, Tim Leary and the Beatles were introduced to LSD while in it. A real Hippie document.

I got an opportunity to crawl all over it a year and a half ago while it was in Balto on a fundraising tour. Maybe I should post my pics under "Short Bus Conversions". - Dan

I know what it is and that one is a replica I believe. I thought the original was in a forest in Oregon.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:56 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

I'll post my pics; one of them is of the explanation posted in the window. Yes, it's the second one made. Yes, the second one is the one with all the history to it. They both were in the woods on Kesey's farm for a long time; this one was pulled and cleaned up and made to run so that it could do the fundraising for the future Ken Kesey Museum.

This is from Mark Kesey, Ken's son, via conversation and my imperfect memory.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Super Coach II, 36 Ft. RE
Engine: Cat 3208T, MT643
Why not just put your land up on AirBNB or some such site? I don't see a need to create a new network, unless it's to exclude non-skoolies.

Children drink kOOlaid, adults drink T.E.A.

Gallery: https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... +Coach+II/
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:07 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post
Huh?

Love the paint job!
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:13 PM   #25
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Seriously folks --- I've been shopping small acreage (2-10 acre) tracts for a couple of years now and there are some mighty pretty spots available if you don't need electric and plumbing. Just a place to park a self contained unit can be had cheap in many parts of the country. The areas I have been shopping are North Carolina...northern Arkansas (along the White River)... New Mexico (near the Colorado border), West Texas high desert around Terlingua/Big Bend and Oregon. All have "undeveloped" land on the cheap that could be grat for self sufficient rv/skoolies. And if we individually bought some land...maybe we could form a network to share it at super cheap day rates with our Skoolie friends to offset the $25 to $100 buck annual taxes such land requires.

Just a thought.
I'm from near by. Avoid those Terlingua lots. Lots of bad stuff going on over there, there's a reason some people are selling land for $100/acre.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:28 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlies.Contingency View Post
I'm from near by. Avoid those Terlingua lots. Lots of bad stuff going on over there, there's a reason some people are selling land for $100/acre.

I just google the map. You'd have to be a complete idiot to buy something within 100 miles of the border.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 12-11-2015, 10:08 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
I just google the map. You'd have to be a complete idiot to buy something within 100 miles of the border.
True, DHS & Boarder Patrol has proclaimed & if I remember correctly the Supreme Court upheld that they do not need to have a warrent to search any home or property within 100 miles of any boarder.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:48 AM   #28

Some of the check points are many dozens of miles from the border and they can search you. I don't have anything to hide but I don't want to go through that every time I travel somewhere.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 12-12-2015, 01:02 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Love the paint job!
Thank you, notice the resemblance to the mountain in the background
Old 12-12-2015, 03:35 PM   #30
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
Nicely done, great paint job. I also like the way the church bell tower looks like it is coming out of the top of your bus.
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:09 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post

Good point!

Do we have anyone here in Orange County and San Diego County California?

We should warn the 6.5 million people there who live less than 100 miles from the Mexican border.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:53 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Allison AT545
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger View Post
Most state/federal parks don't have any restrictions.
I kinda figure they can't afford to, seeing as they don't get much funding...

I'd go in be like, look, I'm not here to cause trouble, my money is as good as anyone else's and I know you don't get much so how's about you shut up and take my money!!!

lol attitude aside, money speaks, don't it?

Glad to hear state and federal parks don't have restrictions... I'ma check that, but that's where I'd prefer to go anyway...
DreamWeaverBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:55 AM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Engine: 454
Quote:
How about we all chip in and start a "Skoolies Only" campground? Screw those Dinos & VanDrools & Wanderlodgers!

But seriously...I have been shopping raw land and there are some pretty sweet deals on beautiful, undeveloped land all over the country. I plan on buying a couple acres here and there for my own use, but it occurs to me we could form a network of our own with minimal participation. Anybody else like being in the middle of nowhere?
Give me info and I'm in!
Old 07-07-2017, 12:47 AM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

So... this AirB U S concept intrigues me! Might be a fun way to accommodate meetups!

I see a day when WalMart opens on-site rv hookups for cheap... In fact I'm quite surprised it hasn't happened. (am I outta touch? Have they?)
toplessartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:56 PM   #35

Year: 1991
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 L International
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
How about we all chip in and start a "Skoolies Only" campground? Screw those Dinos & VanDrools & Wanderlodgers!

But seriously...I have been shopping raw land and there are some pretty sweet deals on beautiful, undeveloped land all over the country. I plan on buying a couple acres here and there for my own use, but it occurs to me we could form a network of our own with minimal participation. Anybody else like being in the middle of nowhere?
The wife and I both like your way of thinking.
TheBusNamedAPray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:22 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by toplessartist View Post
I see a day when WalMart opens on-site rv hookups for cheap... In fact I'm quite surprised it hasn't happened. (am I outta touch? Have they?)
I fear it may be headed in the other direction. I am beginning to hear tales of abuse that are leading to some WalMarts turning overnight RV'ers away.

I have seen some examples of bad behavior at our local WalMart. It makes us all look bad.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:26 PM   #37
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I fear it may be headed in the other direction. I am beginning to hear tales of abuse that are leading to some WalMarts turning overnight RV'ers away.

I have seen some examples of bad behavior at our local WalMart. It makes us all look bad.

A friend of mine recently told me "Walmart is the opposite of sex".
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:41 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
I've been to multiple Walmart where RV were really taking advantage. It's common to see them with their levelling jacks down, which is a great way to destroy the parking lot. One time in Ruskin, FL we saw a huge hoking coach pulling a huge pickup, in the bed of the pickup was a goldwing trike and some bicycles, and the truck's hitch had a mobility scooter mounted to it. They had their leveling jacks down, they had pulled out their patio furniture, plants, garden gnomes, everything... And of course they ran their generator all day and night.

If Walmart changes their mind about RVs, it won't be because of a bus owner that pulls up at night, buys supplies in the morning, and leaves.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:21 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
just the other day, the walmart here i think it was the morning after the 4th.. there were bags and cups and such left on the parking lot.. while i cant say it was an RV, it sure looked like it very well couldve been.. or someone who thought they were RVing and left their trash on the lot..

thats the kind of stuff that gets the policy revoked and the cops called when an RV pulls up.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:11 PM   #40
Bus Geek

I don't think WalMart management will discern between Skoolie or vandweller. I suspect that we are all "RV'ers" to them.

If a small handful of idiots misbehave it may ruin it for the majority.

I do what I can. I try to set a good example. I sometimes pick up after the idiots. I try to have dialog with other overnighters and try to encourage low impact visits.

What else can we do to encourage good behavior?

Seriously! I would hate to loose the ability to overnight at WalMart. No kidding, as best I can figure, I have spent nearly two years overnighting at Walmart (cumulative).