Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2023, 03:48 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 93
Chassis: International
Engine: DT 360
Rated Cap: 27000
Recommendations around Austin?

Hey fellow Skool Kids, relatively new to the site here. My family and I are currently traveling in our newly acquired 93 Thomas. We left NC in December and are making our way toward the Baja Peninsula. We have been enjoying the Austin Tx area but are ready to move on our way. I'm needing to finish up some remodel projects on the bus, which could be a little noisy and dusty. Here are my questions...
#1- Any recommendations for sites near/around Austin where a fella could spend a few days making a mess of things without annoying too many people? Could also be somewhere around or in transit to Corpus Christie.
#2- Any feedback associated with taking a 32' skoolie into Mexico- Baja region? Traveling with wife and kids and have a little anxiety over the situation.

Really appreciate this resource and all the knowledge that I have acquired here. Any and all responses welcome. Thanks in advance. Go!
Michael

Michaelwnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 09:40 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

1) McKinney Falls State Park is a great place to set up camp and get a little noisy- just watch out for the crowds on weekends. For a quieter option, check out Emma Long Metropolitan Park- it's right on Lake Austin and has plenty of space to work on your bus. Lastly, Pace Bend Park has some large campsites with plenty of room for your projects!

2) Make sure you do your research first! There may be some regulations to follow, so be sure to have all your paperwork in order before crossing the border. It's a good idea to travel with a group for safety, and avoid driving at night and in remote areas.
Jamessmith0901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 10:13 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelwnc View Post
Hey fellow Skool Kids, relatively new to the site here. My family and I are currently traveling in our newly acquired 93 Thomas. We left NC in December and are making our way toward the Baja Peninsula. We have been enjoying the Austin Tx area but are ready to move on our way. I'm needing to finish up some remodel projects on the bus, which could be a little noisy and dusty. Here are my questions...
#1- Any recommendations for sites near/around Austin where a fella could spend a few days making a mess of things without annoying too many people? Could also be somewhere around or in transit to Corpus Christie.
#2- Any feedback associated with taking a 32' skoolie into Mexico- Baja region? Traveling with wife and kids and have a little anxiety over the situation.

Really appreciate this resource and all the knowledge that I have acquired here. Any and all responses welcome. Thanks in advance. Go!
Michael
Austin Hackerspace has been quite friendly to the Skoolie/Vanlife crowd in the past.

https://asmbly.org/
9701 Dessau Rd Suite 304, Austin, TX 78754

Yes, it will cost some money, yeah, you'll probably have to pay to take some basic "safety classes" to use some of the equipment, but it's usually quite worth it. They have all kinds of tools to do all kinds of things, and when I was last there (~2014) it was essentially a 24-Hour kind of operation once you were "onboarded", and they've got some large-format CO2 laser cutter, CNC routers, a metalshop, and a basic autoshop as well. I'm sure it's changed some since I was last there, but whoever you're talking to will probably have more current information.

If you see a very tall nerdy white guy named Rob or a shorter Vietnamese dude named Joe they are 100% worth listening to, since they've been there since the beginning and know pretty much how to get along, who to ask or talk to to get something done or figured out.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 04:27 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelwnc View Post

Michael
I also have the same question regarding the Mexico-Baja region. I am planning a trip over there next month. Any recommendation is appreciated.
willyuphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 01:56 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Yeetus Deletus
Old 02-08-2024, 01:36 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
Yeetus Deletus
what do you mean?
Old 02-08-2024, 10:09 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyuphere View Post
I also have the same question regarding the Mexico-Baja region. I am planning a trip over there next month. Any recommendation is appreciated.

I've had the opportunity to drive my skoolie into Mexico a couple of times, and each trip has been quite an adventure. It's essential to ensure all your paperwork is in order, including vehicle registration and international travel insurance. Additionally, refreshing your Spanish skills can be really helpful, especially when interacting with local authorities or asking for directions. If you're staying near Austin, you might want to consider checking out some dispersed camping spots or RV parks with more relaxed regulations, making it easier to tackle your renovation projects.

By the way, are you traveling alone? Also, have you had a chance to research any specific campgrounds or destinations in the Baja region that you're looking forward to visiting? I'm always keen to discover new hidden gems
Old 02-09-2024, 01:52 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamessmith0901 View Post
I've had the opportunity to drive my skoolie into Mexico a couple of times, and each trip has been quite an adventure. It's essential to ensure all your paperwork is in order, including vehicle registration and international travel insurance. Additionally, refreshing your Spanish skills can be really helpful, especially when interacting with local authorities or asking for directions. If you're staying near Austin, you might want to consider checking out some dispersed camping spots or RV parks with more relaxed regulations, making it easier to tackle your renovation projects.

By the way, are you traveling alone? Also, have you had a chance to research any specific campgrounds or destinations in the Baja region that you're looking forward to visiting? I'm always keen to discover new hidden gems
I will be travelling with my family. I haven't done any extensive research yet. I have Playa del Sol as my primary campground in mind.
Old 02-09-2024, 03:28 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I will be travelling with my family. I haven't done any extensive research yet. I have Playa del Sol as my primary campground in mind.
I've been to Playa del Sol before, and it's such a beautiful spot for camping with the family. Have you reserved your campsite yet? And do you need any tips or recommendations? I'll be here to help.
Old 02-11-2024, 10:47 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I've been to Playa del Sol before, and it's such a beautiful spot for camping with the family. Have you reserved your campsite yet? And do you need any tips or recommendations? I'll be here to help.
Apart from the Playa del Sol, do you have any other recommendation? Not for camping, more like sightseeing for a day or two.
Old 02-12-2024, 03:37 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Apart from the Playa del Sol, do you have any other recommendation? Not for camping, more like sightseeing for a day or two.
You should check out the Oceanview Promenade. It's great for a leisurely stroll with amazing views of the coastline and plenty of cool spots to grab a bite or shop. Plus, there are often street performers adding to the vibe. Definitely worth a visit.
Old 02-12-2024, 01:56 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
what do you mean?

I made a comment on the post, and only after posting realized that it was basically the same thing I said earlier.

And since I couldn't really delete the post, I edited it to be nothing of any significance.
Old 02-13-2024, 03:37 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
I made a comment on the post, and only after posting realized that it was basically the same thing I said earlier.

And since I couldn't really delete the post, I edited it to be nothing of any significance.
Oh Okay, No issues.
Old 02-13-2024, 03:40 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
You should check out the Oceanview Promenade. It's great for a leisurely stroll with amazing views of the coastline and plenty of cool spots to grab a bite or shop. Plus, there are often street performers adding to the vibe. Definitely worth a visit.
I will definitely check that out. Btw, James I was checking an article about Mexico tourism and where to visit. https://gowithguide.com/blog/tourism...d-to-know-5248 It looks like Mexico City and Cancun are also good places to visit. Any idea about those places?
Old 02-13-2024, 08:50 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I will definitely check that out. Btw, James I was checking an article about Mexico tourism and where to visit. https://gowithguide.com/blog/tourism...d-to-know-5248 It looks like Mexico City and Cancun are also good places to visit. Any idea about those places?
Oh cool, thanks for sharing! Yeah, Mexico City and Cancun are awesome spots to check out. Mexico City's got so much history and culture, plus amazing food! And Cancun, well, it's all about those beautiful beaches and fun vibes. Both are definitely worth a visit! Let me know if you need any more info!
Old 02-14-2024, 04:57 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks james for the information.

Tags
baja mexico, on the road renovations, skoolie travel with kids