Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2020, 02:37 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Skoolie Commune of California (Barstow)

Hey fellow Skoolie enthusiasts!
As someone with a passion for the outdoors and for helping my fellow enthusiasts, I thought it would be a great idea to find a place where we could park our vans, work on them, camp out and enjoy out door actives on (whether it be long term or on the road). That being said I think I found just the place in Barstow/Newberry Springs CA. I am looking to crowd fund this lot which is located just off I-15 going into California (near Barstow, one hour from Mojave, and 1.5 hours from Joshua tree).
This lot is 20 acres big, with plenty of space for skoolie parking and electrical hookups.

The lot I am looking to purchase:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/C...89431710_zpid/

More details on the go fund me page, along with listed perks of donating.
https://gf.me/u/y4rqsr

decker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:51 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by decker1 View Post
Hey fellow Skoolie enthusiasts!
As someone with a passion for the outdoors and for helping my fellow enthusiasts, I thought it would be a great idea to find a place where we could park our vans, work on them, camp out and enjoy out door actives on (whether it be long term or on the road). That being said I think I found just the place in Barstow/Newberry Springs CA. I am looking to crowd fund this lot which is located just off I-15 going into California (near Barstow, one hour from Mojave, and 1.5 hours from Joshua tree).
This lot is 20 acres big, with plenty of space for skoolie parking and electrical hookups.

The lot I am looking to purchase:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/C...89431710_zpid/

More details on the go fund me page, along with listed perks of donating.
https://gf.me/u/y4rqsr
You may want to check with the San Bernardino County zoning folk to see what's allowed or not allowed on empty/undeveloped lots, even in the desert. A friend of mine in Phelan (also in SB County) told me that it's not permitted to just park RVs etc on an empty lot if you're living in them. He ended up buying some land in AZ just to get around this restriction. Check first before plunking down your cash for 20 acres.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:56 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

This lot is in unincorporated land and (according to the listing) is suitable for this, even for shooting. We would verify this of course before purchase. Ownership will go under an LLC and all donations will be refunded if we do not get it. These are good points though! Always appreciated
decker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:58 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
x2 on doing due diligence in zoning check.

One could also do an "off grid" conversion in Slab City with no cost for parking...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:04 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
well fund me requests will be deleted, so my comment that this would be considered a trailer park, and getting approval for one is like not going to happen and cost about 20x more than you think, as I looked into it in the past.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:12 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Interesting proposal ...

There is a place similar to this just a little south (45 minutes) of Tucson, AZ.

Caballo Loco Ranch
Native is offline   Reply With Quote