Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2020, 12:41 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catastrophe._ View Post
I got help from a town really nearby they are going to help me replace the filter.. thanks tho to all of you for your help!! I appreciate it.
Have you had the replaced yet?

Is that the problem?

Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:56 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catastrophe._ View Post
If you can or cannot I totally understand, there is unfortunately a rainstorm. But I got a version of diesel 911( a cop brought me to a truck stop) and a fuel filter special for like trucks. It’s not the kind for my bus but it’s a LFP815FN kind, hoping I can try that one. Even tho it’s not the specific C7 kind... would that be a bad idea??
That filter is a replacement for the following:

CATERPILLAR 3I1217
CATERPILLAR 8T3910
CATERPILLAR 9Y4417

... none of which are for your engine.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:52 PM   #23
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
OP texted me back earlier, I was asleep. They got help replacing the filters, and something similar to Diesel 911. Back on the road and haven't heard anything further, I assume it was a fuel quality problem or a filter problem.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:15 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
It would be nice to quantify fuel quality a bit.. Having run diesel on wvo and wmo in Mercedes powerstrokes and renault diesels it seems that there is no way that pump diesel can be that bad..

I can see gelling at low temperatures.. water if you go by chance the last little bit out of the storage tank. But that would have gone by the gas station water separaters and also the vehicle separater.

Curious what it was that brought them to a halt.
joeblack5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:47 PM   #25
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
It would be nice to quantify fuel quality a bit.. Having run diesel on wvo and wmo in Mercedes powerstrokes and renault diesels it seems that there is no way that pump diesel can be that bad..

I can see gelling at low temperatures.. water if you go by chance the last little bit out of the storage tank. But that would have gone by the gas station water separaters and also the vehicle separater.

Curious what it was that brought them to a halt.
Older highway diesel formulas would form algae if not used quickly enough, I suspect this problem has only taken on a less problematic form with ULSD. Lots of stories of diesel fuel going bad recently due to the severe decrease in travel recently. Even over-the-road trucks aren't using as much because freight is slow.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:32 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Sure. I have heating oil that is 5 year old without a problem.. then you have anti fungicide ..to keep it for years and years.
Hard for me to imagine that trucker stations would not take care of situation like that. If they normally refill there tanks every week.. and now with covid ..every month..then that fuel is only a month old....

Nice that you helped them out. It is a huge moral help to know that this forum responds and lowers the stress level a bit when you are stuck.

Years ago I was traveling to attend a bus meet in Florida . At my last boondocks the evening before I got stuck in the sand. It was great that ECB and yellow?? Offered to come over and be there to pull me out. Managed by myself with some hand digging but the knowledge that you are not alone and others rooting for you is hartwarming.
Johan
joeblack5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:51 PM   #27
Bus Geek

That is what makes this site so great!
Old 10-29-2020, 06:29 PM   #28
Traveling

Apparently OP is having more trouble. I texted earlier today asking if all was still well, and dozed off for a nap before they replied "No".

No reply since, and calls are going straight to voicemail... I hope OP is safe.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:40 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I’m not sure what constitutes “bad” fuel but I’ve had it.. possibly mixed with gasoline? Maybe excessive water? Not sure.. I do know that sometimes engines will run on really old fuel and do it ok. Other times you fill up and it runs like rubbish till you fill up again.. not sure how to explain iit other than “bad fuel “
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:49 PM   #30
Traveling

Certainly sounds like bad fuel, and the first thing I asked was to make sure they hadn't accidentally put gasoline in by mistake. Diesels are pretty tolerant of that to a point as long as you don't fill it up with it. Helps to clean the injectors a bit if done in moderation.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:00 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Apparently OP is having more trouble. I texted earlier today asking if all was still well, and dozed off for a nap before they replied "No".

No reply since, and calls are going straight to voicemail... I hope OP is safe.
I hope they are just sleeping off the stress of the trip! It sure would be good to hear they made it okay.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:08 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Certainly sounds like bad fuel, and the first thing I asked was to make sure they hadn't accidentally put gasoline in by mistake. Diesels are pretty tolerant of that to a point as long as you don't fill it up with it. Helps to clean the injectors a bit if done in moderation.
Cheese, I used to drive OTR as well and remember guys putting in a gallon or two of gasoline in the mix for exactly what you just said. Wondering if that would be a deterrent to todays computer controlled engines. I used to own a KW Aerodyne cabover with a Cummins big cam. This was in '93.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:38 PM   #33
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 5.9L 24 valve
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
Cheese, I used to drive OTR as well and remember guys putting in a gallon or two of gasoline in the mix for exactly what you just said. Wondering if that would be a deterrent to todays computer controlled engines. I used to own a KW Aerodyne cabover with a Cummins big cam. This was in '93.
I remember putting in a gallon of unleaded in each 100 gallon tank in the Pete I drove to keep the fuel from gelling up. I would be leery about this practice in a modern engine with all of the computer controls and sensors, not to mention what it would to to the smog control crap they have now.
Shamoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:19 PM   #34
Traveling

Not to mention the different formulation of highway diesel fuel today. Around 2010 the LSD / ULSD became mandatory for highway use.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:46 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
we always mixed in some K1 into our IH scouts to help with gelling.. K1 gels at a LOT lower temperature.. running it straight was bad bcause it doesnt have near the lubricity that #2 diesel does but a 10-25% mix never huirt anything.. that scout put 375k on its little diesel..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel filter, help me!, stranded