Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2020, 10:14 PM   #1

Stuck at the top of texas

My bus shut off. We were on the way to O’Reillys Bcs the bus wasn’t accelerating quite right. So we think the fuel filter is clogged. We are thinking we need a replacement filter. But it shut off like 10 miles away. Me and my friend don’t really know much about cats. It is 10pm October 27th. Is there anyone near Wichita Falls Texas that could help us with this issue? If so please reach out to me 701-793-2576.

Catastrophe._ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:26 AM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
I'm in Virginia, but could help narrow down some things over the phone. Texted and called, no response...
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:40 AM   #3

I just seen this I texted you back
Old 10-28-2020, 01:03 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I hope y'all are not out in your bus in this cold, wet, and freezing weather we are having up here in North texas.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:07 AM   #5
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
I hope y'all are not out in your bus in this cold, wet, and freezing weather we are having up here in North texas.
Actually, Native, they are...

Just got off the phone with this unfortunate young lady. I was able to determine OP's bus is a 2004 BlueBird, is likely an RE, and likely has the Caterpillar C-7 engine. Their described symptom of power cutting in and out, increasing / reducing speed, without warning lights before stalling sounds a lot like a fuel issue, hopefully it's just clogged filters, as they had just fueled.

I was also able to determine with some input from them that they are on US-287 just east of Wichita Falls about a mile or so east of the exit for the Jolly Travel Center, which appears to have a truck / trailer repair shop. Hopefully they can get them going in the morning, but the prospect of sleeping in a cold bus in a rainstorm on the side of a highway sucks big-time.

I have sent them screenshots of their GPS coordinates to facilitate giving their location to any help available, based on their being westbound and seeing a sign that said "Jolly Travel Center - Next Right". GPS coordinates are 33.863823, -98.333477 (for anyone in the area that can help). Best I can do, as I am in Virginia, over 1000 miles away.

OP -- I might add that in winter, you really want to put anti-gel additive in the fuel when you fill up... Diesel fuel will start to turn to jelly around 20 degrees or colder, sometimes around 30 with a windchill factor.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:17 AM   #6

Yes we are. We have a bunch of blankets and jackets thankfully but are trying to wait until morning so we could maybe go walk to somewhere for a filter...
Old 10-28-2020, 02:24 AM   #7
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catastrophe._ View Post
Yes we are. We have a bunch of blankets and jackets thankfully but are trying to wait until morning so we could maybe go walk to somewhere for a filter...
I would suggest calling around before doing that, it appears that Jolly Travel Center / Truck / Trailer Repair is the only thing within several miles of you, and it's possible their mechanic might be willing to get the filters and come change them for you without walking anywhere. Not sure what the cost would be. Walking anywhere but Jolly from where you are could be very dangerous. If they can't help you, then I would recommend calling a road service. Love's and Flying J are several miles west of you.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:12 AM   #8
Bus Geek

In preparation for a trip we will be taking this weekend, I just (Monday) picked up both fuel filters from Holt CAT in Fort Worth, TX. Loop 820 at Clifford Street. 817-935-6026

The C7 and 3126E have the same fuel filter and water separator filter.

Code:
Fuel Filter:             1R-0751     $18.97
Water Separator Filter:  198-6378    $24.86
Old 10-28-2020, 03:25 AM   #9
Bus Geek

By the way, your symptoms do sound like bad fuel. We had a batch of bad fuel on our last trip in June. We added some Diesel 911 and filled the tank and it worked itself out not long after putting in the Diesel 911.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:33 AM   #10

Would you by chance come and help us whenever you’re available I can pay you 50$
Old 10-28-2020, 06:07 AM   #11
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
By the way, your symptoms do sound like bad fuel. We had a batch of bad fuel on our last trip in June. We added some Diesel 911 and filled the tank and it worked itself out not long after putting in the Diesel 911.

COMPLETELY neglected to mention this possibility. Good save, Native. However, since the engine completely stalled and they are stuck on the side of the road, I suspect it's going to take a little more to get it going, as it needs to run to get the Diesel 911 through it. Are you nearby and able to help with this?
Old 10-28-2020, 06:16 AM   #12

If you can or cannot I totally understand, there is unfortunately a rainstorm. But I got a version of diesel 911( a cop brought me to a truck stop) and a fuel filter special for like trucks. It’s not the kind for my bus but it’s a LFP815FN kind, hoping I can try that one. Even tho it’s not the specific C7 kind... would that be a bad idea??
Old 10-28-2020, 06:44 AM   #13
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catastrophe._ View Post
If you can or cannot I totally understand, there is unfortunately a rainstorm. But I got a version of diesel 911( a cop brought me to a truck stop) and a fuel filter special for like trucks. It’s not the kind for my bus but it’s a LFP815FN kind, hoping I can try that one. Even tho it’s not the specific C7 kind... would that be a bad idea??
I would tend to think a filter is a filter, but only a truck mechanic would know for sure. Keep in mind, however, the Cat C-7 was used in a variety of medium-duty trucks as well, so I would imagine they take the same filter.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:01 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ive heard lots of stories about bad fuel this year.. i wonder if the slowdown in demand has resulted in fuel being stored too long or ther glut caused storage in less than ideal tanks at refineries,. ie tanks that sat empty for a long time.. im used to hearing of bad fuel npow and then but this year ive encountered it several times..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:21 AM   #15
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: ISM 10.8L, B400R
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
ive heard lots of stories about bad fuel this year.. i wonder if the slowdown in demand has resulted in fuel being stored too long or ther glut caused storage in less than ideal tanks at refineries,. ie tanks that sat empty for a long time.. im used to hearing of bad fuel npow and then but this year ive encountered it several times..
I have been hearing about a resurgence of Ford 6.7 CP4 fuel systems grenading, you may be on to something. I think it might be from too much condensation or water in the tanks. Spooky.
JamesKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:14 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
So one must assume you can't afford to have it towed to safety and a repair shop?
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:20 AM   #17

No I cannot I’m trying to have that be my last option I have another fuel filter but I cannot get the old one off it’s screwed on too tightly... so I might have too
Old 10-28-2020, 10:30 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
If you go to findtruckservice.com you should be able to find a mobile mechanic near you. Better to try that before getting a tow IMO
Old 10-28-2020, 10:39 AM   #19

I got help from a town really nearby they are going to help me replace the filter.. thanks tho to all of you for your help!! I appreciate it.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Keep us in the loop. Do you carry any tools at all?
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel filter, help me!, stranded