Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2019, 12:19 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Dreadman, You have come to the same conclusion we did after attending a January bus rally in Quartsite 3 years ago. While we had a good time and all went well, it was obvious to me that trouble was just around the corner looking for an opportunity to strike. There were hundreds of "campers" spread all over the terrain and in every type of accommodation imaginable. What I did not see was any police presence or even a basic first aid station or fire team. Experience at work has taught me that about the time you reach a gathering of over ten "family" units, certain rules and regulations are needed in order to maintain folks civility. Much as I'd like to meet up with other skoolies, I'll shy away from festival type gatherings and stick with small by mutual invitation camp outs and the occasional high dollar bus rally.
Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 12:36 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Much as I'd like to meet up with other skoolies, I'll shy away from festival type gatherings and stick with small by mutual invitation camp outs and the occasional high dollar bus rally.
Jack
Well not only that, but if I am lending a hand on someone's rig, from now on I will know them WELL, and know they are the type of person to help the next guy/gal. Kinda shocking how many people are out there willing to take advantage of kindness from strangers without possessing ANY ability that share the same?

I was even told by one lady that she did not have time to wait on my solar crew to install her equipment (well, the equipment she was gifted) and would not even get out of our way when we did try to install it?

Talk about crazy!
Old 12-22-2019, 02:44 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredman View Post
I think if I ever got back into creating and having events, it would most likely be quiet, invite-only, and SMALL. From what I have seen in the last year, there is no quicker way to ruin a great time hanging out with friends than to invite the unknown: meth-heads, thieves, rapists, and child-molesters. They are out there living in vehicles right now, and I would assume a few of them have bought a skoolie.

Imagine if you had children, showing up to an unknown like that?

I say all of this after meeting some of the most amazing and interesting people I have ever met in my life - Skoolie Folk. We are different, full-timers, weekend warriors, and artists, wanting to make something unique, and maybe go camping on occasion. 99% of us are magical - then we read another headline of the 1% 'ers

https://patch.com/florida/gulfport/f...alone-mini-bus

Unfortunately that^ is probably not uncommon. Kids and pets are probably best NOT left in an unattended bus.
Thanks for the reality check and for being so DAMN COOL!
We've met EXACTLY her type before. Folks who go partying and leave small children alone in a filthy bus. SAD!

Lets do something next year, something regional and invite only.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:48 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Quote:
Well not only that, but if I am lending a hand on someone's rig, from now on I will know them WELL, and know they are the type of person to help the next guy/gal. Kinda shocking how many people are out there willing to take advantage of kindness from strangers without possessing ANY ability that share the same?

I was even told by one lady that she did not have time to wait on my solar crew to install her equipment (well, the equipment she was gifted) and would not even get out of our way when we did try to install it?

Talk about crazy!
I know the type. A lady offered me a hundred bucks to drive her bus to north carolina for her! SO she could pay some schemers fifty grand to "convert" it. That was after I gutted it for free to help her get started.

Unless its a good friend always name a price! lol
Old 12-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Granted, she belongs in jail. But I hate all news reporting lately,everything is twisted to make it sound negative. OMG, she had a propane tank in there, she should be given life in prison. And OMG, a bucket for a toilet, She should be shot by the week end.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:11 PM   #46
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Granted, she belongs in jail. But I hate all news reporting lately,everything is twisted to make it sound negative. OMG, she had a propane tank in there, she should be given life in prison. And OMG, a bucket for a toilet, She should be shot by the week end.
I'd hope we're above leaving small children alone in a small dirty space with propane and bucket for a toilet. I'd hope so.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:03 PM   #47
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
It does seem pretty extreme.

My headline would be:
"Terrorist plot foiled as agents move in to arrest terror cell assembling explosive bio-weapon" (AP) The tiny terrorists were seen assembling the propane bio-bomb to go off near a fishing village to expose tourists to deadly pathogens, it seems the midgets were connecting a PlayStation as a remote detonation switch to.....
Old 12-22-2019, 06:12 PM   #48
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
It does seem pretty extreme.

My headline would be:
"Terrorist plot foiled as agents move in to arrest terror cell assembling explosive bio-weapon" (AP) The tiny terrorists were seen assembling the propane bio-bomb to go off near a fishing village to expose tourists to deadly pathogens, it seems the midgets were connecting a PlayStation as a remote detonation switch to.....
The bucket I'm sure was filled with ammonium nitrate (fertilizer)
Old 12-27-2019, 12:06 PM   #49
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
I would love a meet-up in the eastern highlands...

It would be really cool to experience the different bus builds in the same environment and see how they perform...

Check out Skoolie Swarm 2020 on Facebook. Our 2019 gathering had 84 vehicles!
Sandi
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #50
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
At our Skoolie Swarms in Florida we always have a swap table. Great way to share with the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyCircus View Post
I had an Idea for these meets, I sent it to the Skoolie palooza email from the web site.

What about a swap meet.

Ive got a few left overs from my build that I wont be needing. Perhaps a swap meet with skoolie or camper conversion stuff for sale, you never know I might have something someone else could use. Just an idea.
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote