Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2023, 07:24 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Michael Corbier
Chassis: GMC Savana 3500
Engine: 6.5 Diesel
Post trip to Pachaug State forest in Voluntown Connecticut

Day one
Objective to get away from ocean, massachusetts, cold and windy weather. Take Corbi out on the road.

Passing through unfamiliar parts of south western mass.
Small town shopping center Price Choppers
Motorcycle club- big touring bikes
Pickups mods with loud diesels
Very sunny, 70 degrees
Interesting monument to wool factory owner.
Nice to see public over 40, as Boston has a young demographic.

Connecticut had some easy rolling hills, that corbi took well, with no struggle, even getting periods of turbo boost.

Directions to campground basically non existent. Saw one informational sign showing an image of a trailer camper; had to figure out from route numbers, google maps, visual observation.

Arrival inconsequential. Reserved site has an rv next to it with generator running. Couple didn’t seem to mind the noise but it bothered me.

The first night is going well. I got an invite to a campfire with a local conservation group.

It seems like two of my 9v circuits need repair, but not tonight. Crickets!

Gerard

Old 05-07-2023, 04:42 PM   #2
Skoolie

Day Two of Conn campground trip

The morning seemed quite busy with campfires going, dogs barking, then a departure, leaving the grounds quiet. My rendezvous last night was not to be. I waited to after dinner, and sun down to arrive and found a group that was girl scouts, not the friends of group I was looking for. Went for a walk with Bandit to locate the Mount Misery Overlook. We found the trail, then reached an overlook that was a bit disappointing. We continued following the trail upwards, and found the real overlook with a clear view north and east. No markers or info about reaching the this 450 ft summit. I did notice quite a bit of tree death and forest floor litter. I later read a sign indicating storm and insect damage to the trees. We returned, did a bit of clean up and wiring repair and had lunch. We took an afternoon excursion to the local ice cream vendor. There was line out to the parking lot, but we waited for a while as it was another warm and sunny day. You could hear the big engine motorcycle clubs tearing up the back roads. A nicely modified diesel truck was parked in the lot. A group of young girls in soccer team attire socializing while parents waiting in line. Bandit got some needed socialization. The ice cream was actually tasty, rich, and healthy portions. Later, Corbi hit a pretty steep uphill and motored up without hesitation or struggle. A bit of a relief because last summer, he hit a few hills in Vermont that caused a struggle. Could the lower elevations creat a healthier turbo boost? Later, picked up firewood, made some kindling, then relaxed in the bus, waiting for dark to light the fire. No grilling due to fire ring made up of stones rather than a steel grill. A bit of irony because of the many “smokey the bear” posters around, yet the fire rings are sub-standard.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:41 PM   #3
Skoolie

Trip to Pachaug State forest in Voluntown Connecticut

Day 3

A different kind of day. Heavy rainfall overnight, leading to another warm pleasant windy day. Soon the state forest staff arrived with motorized grass mowers, and a gentleman handling a chain saw and picking up logs with a front loader tractor and loading them onto a flat bed truck. I did some repair of galley fixtures. Revisited driver’s side door arm rest. A nap, lunch, then a pleasant walk to the horse camp. This site was a bit unusual, as usage was limited to campers with horses. I suspect that this style of camping is no longer practiced as picnic tables were deteriorating, and so signs of recent occupancy, eg horse manure. I was left with the idea of a 4H practice ground of long ago. I wish owning a horse was still a thing, as they seem calm and caring. On the back end of the loop we visited Edward’s Pond, and found a trail that was designated as a “State Park Trail” restricted to non-motorized use. It was here that I found signs that an equestrian had visited recently. Bandit showed no interest in the manure on the trail. The signage in the area is strange. We started our walk on a dirt road called “Trail 1” then turned onto another road called Trail 2. Then at Edward’s Pond found the “State Park Trail”. This trail led back to the campground. Back at camp, I read for awhile, as Bandit curled up for a late afternoon snooze. During a dinner of a burger and hot dogs over the fire, two great horned owls sounded off near by. Their calls are so distinctive. Had a good fire, and relaxed while it burned down to embers. It’s a bit eery with so few campers around. The sound of peepers serenaded us, not crickets as I thought the other night.
Old 05-09-2023, 12:01 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Nice reading that you took the rig out and enjoyed the fruits of your labor.

Post some pics if you can.
We recently drove to the south west with our setup and made a trip report.
Not a lot of people seem to do that so I am happy that you followed suit

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 12:40 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Thanks for posting. I like your writing style
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 08:02 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
Thanks for posting. I like your writing style
I'll second that...and yes, pictures...either way, thanks for sharing.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 06:00 PM   #7
Skoolie

Cotton Magnate

Ray Nelson monument in Webster, Mass.
Attached Thumbnails
20230506_110003.jpg  
Corbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 06:06 PM   #8
Skoolie

Day Two photos

This sign was posted around the camp.
Attached Thumbnails
20230507_115821.jpg  
Old 05-10-2023, 06:16 PM   #9
Skoolie

Day Two and three photos

There is a monument at the entrance to the camping area and the day use group area. It shows a sculpture of a young man holding an ax. He is a member of the Civilian Conservation Corps who were stationed here and worked on some of the building of the facility. I also shot an image of another group recreation area by the campgrounds. You see the arrangement of large bolders in some state parks and National Forests built by the CCC. I imagine a day moving and placing boulders tired out the young men by days end!
Attached Thumbnails
20230506_185427.jpg   20230509_110307.jpg  
Old 05-11-2023, 07:15 PM   #10
Skoolie

Day 4 and the return

On the last day several unusual events happened. Birds were involved. The two great horned owls hooted again. Then a whip o will sang its song for what seemed like hours, then Bandit awoke early morning, at full alert, including a bark. I couldn't see much, so I shined a light through a window. Still nothing. In a while, I saw a Cardinal and what I think was his mate pecking on the ground by the picnic table. Was this what B was so on the alert about? Later, I emptied the gray water container and out came a dead mouse. How long was it in there for? How did it crawl in there?

Corbi did really well on the way home. He drove up hills without decreasing speed. Quite noisy with a window open. Just one stop on the Pike.

The challenge today is to switch out camping gear with building supplies since my bus is parked a train ride from home. Thank you for the comments of you who followed my short but important journey.
Old 05-11-2023, 07:59 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
Thanks for sharing.

I hope to get my bus back from the mechanic shop soon, then I hope to get re-motivated to get it finished so we can take it out on it's maiden "voyage" sometime this summer.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 08:27 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1980
Coachwork: 1980 Gillig, 1990 Thomas
Chassis: Transit Coach
Engine: Cummins 855 w/RT-910 & CAT 3208 w/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 78-Passenger
Thanks for the story, as it was a good read.

Cruising in your Skoolie is only half the fun...
You get to build it first.
IDoMy0wnRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 08:43 AM   #13
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Nice reading that you took the rig out and enjoyed the fruits of your labor.

Post some pics if you can.
We recently drove to the south west with our setup and made a trip report.
Not a lot of people seem to do that so I am happy that you followed suit

Johan
So, I did follow your posts on your trip to the Southwest. You gave me the idea to document a local to me trip to record how it went and share any details of interest to the forum. As it turns out, there were experiences that came up, not mind shattering, but interesting and worth sharing. It’s easy to get caught up in the build and to forget to plan time to experience the world that skoolie life can offer. Gerard

Tags
traveling lifestyle