Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2018, 03:37 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Red face Typical Long term campground life in FL

Hi, So like I am still reading threw the many postings and learning things in the category but like I just wander about something, I am planning to do some long term camping once I get my bus ready, meaning I will be depending on campgrounds and shore power/plugging in. Specially during the summer where my AC will be running all day for my pets in the bus.

So like, my question is, my two concerns.. Is it the norm or typical that most campgrounds/ or/ RV parks, usually have a limit. (Like I called this one place and they said it was a 21 day limit then you had to go.) I need long term parking with electric plug up and an on site shower/bathroom facility. This now has me concerned. How do I approach campgrounds or RV parks and how is this long term parking expectation brought up?OR do you just say it month to month or how do you word it. To me it sounds like I am moving in and not leaving and I think this is scaring people when I'm calling to ask.

Another concern is I have a job where I work on call rotation. If its outside of business hours, do most campgrounds say like, ok once the gate is closed your either in or out, or do that provide guest with a gate key or how does this work for staying long term at a campground or RV park. Whatever you call these places. LOL.

I am around East Gainesville/Putnam Co/ Clay Co. areas. Thanks yaw!!

BigDeb68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:12 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Most parks have a maximum stay - but you can always talk with the rangers - maybe get involved by volunteering - then you have a longer commitment - some ask for 3 or 6 months. And for about 20 hours of work per week - you can stay free.
There is a need for summer camp hosts or volunteers - check the area you want to be in for county and state parks - and go chat with them.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 84 pass 36200 gvw
I can not really speak to conditions in Fl. but around here every campground or RV park has the same kind of limits. If you want to stay long term you would need to find a mobile home park that will take RVs. They are not real common but they do exist.
snonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Oh goah, this sounds depressing. LOL
BigDeb68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:03 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeb68 View Post
Hi, So like I am still reading threw the many postings and learning things in the category but like I just wander about something, I am planning to do some long term camping once I get my bus ready, meaning I will be depending on campgrounds and shore power/plugging in. Specially during the summer where my AC will be running all day for my pets in the bus.

So like, my question is, my two concerns.. Is it the norm or typical that most campgrounds/ or/ RV parks, usually have a limit. (Like I called this one place and they said it was a 21 day limit then you had to go.) I need long term parking with electric plug up and an on site shower/bathroom facility. This now has me concerned. How do I approach campgrounds or RV parks and how is this long term parking expectation brought up?OR do you just say it month to month or how do you word it. To me it sounds like I am moving in and not leaving and I think this is scaring people when I'm calling to ask.

Another concern is I have a job where I work on call rotation. If its outside of business hours, do most campgrounds say like, ok once the gate is closed your either in or out, or do that provide guest with a gate key or how does this work for staying long term at a campground or RV park. Whatever you call these places. LOL.

I am around East Gainesville/Putnam Co/ Clay Co. areas. Thanks yaw!!
Wish you were in Texas...I know at least 10 parks that are long-term...some have day sleepers...no gates...some new...with rents as low as $200/no...but Florida is a winter bird/tourist state...might be laws too...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:25 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Out of curiosity... why not relocate to a different park after the 20 days?

Perhaps it is just my location, but there are a hundred+ different locations within 25 miles of me that allow RV camping with hook ups. Find 2 close by and bounce back and forth... that or actually talk to some people face to face.

A friend of mine works all over the country so he pulls a 30' camper around. His wife, him, and 3 kids all travel together year round... she home schools the kids. They stay at locations as long as the job is going.. that could be a few weeks to a year+. As far as I know, he's never had an issue finding a place to park.
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:47 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
On the term limit places can you pull out of space #3, go to town and come back and rent the spot next to the old one, or your's again for that matter.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:26 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
EDIT: Sorry, I read the first part of the thread title but missed the "in FL" part. My comments are totally useless....

In my experience in the west, all city parks, state parks, forest service (campgrounds and boondocking), and BLM (not LTVA) have limits (typically 2-3 weeks). Privately owned "RV Parks" and "RV Campgrounds" sometimes have much longer limits and monthly rates and there are some that allow "long term" stays. Out here, you usually see lots of seasonal workers living in their 5th wheels. This is highly opinionated, sorry, but the long term parks seem to be 'less nice' - typically. It seems like the long term folks tend to spread out their stuff and it just doesn't look nice.

There is nothing wrong with asking a campground about their limits or if they allow long-term use.

I've never seen a campground that actually locks the gates at night (preventing entry/exit).

Might also note, private campground management seems to fear getting someone into a spot that they don't really want. They may tell you that the limit is a couple weeks but if you have a good looking rig, keep your spot clean/neat, contribute (pick up trash), are friendly, etc... they just might let you stay longer. On the other hand....
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:37 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Here in central Fl, most of the places have long term parking. But those are 55+ parks.
The long term parking rv/trailer places that aren't 55+ are usually ghettos.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:08 AM   #10
Bus Nut

No one mentioned the bus point. Some RV campgrounds do not allow converted buses. Florida seems to be one or used to be one. I was down in the Orange and Dade county areas about 15 years ago and could not get a place to park in an campground with hook ups. We ended up roughing it in a sand hole in a natural park of some kind. No services of any kind were available.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Isn't that why we work so hard to make these buses capable of boondocking?

I think you'll find that many campgrounds have begun accepting skoolies. Not likely accepting the hippie buses though. There is a distinction between the two now.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #12
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Isn't that why we work so hard to make these buses capable of boondocking?

I think you'll find that many campgrounds have begun accepting skoolies. Not likely accepting the hippie buses though. There is a distinction between the two now.
This is very true, I’ve already done some calling around here in the parks and areas near me that I like to frequent, and they’ve been very inquisitive.

“We don’t normally give an answer over the phone, but being honest, as long as your bus is clean, well serviced, and ‘presentable’ then there’s no reason we wouldn’t let you stay”

Pretty much I’ve gathered the general consensus is that as long as it’s not a raggedy hippy-mobile they’re fine with busses.
Yuuyia_Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:08 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Having been a Deadhead a long time, I can totally see why there are folks not wanting "school buses" in their camps.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:46 PM   #14
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Having been a Deadhead a long time, I can totally see why there are folks not wanting "school buses" in their camps.
Yeah, I'm not saying that people with shabby budget busses are bad, or even dirty people. Just the fact that most places want to keep a certain image. and sadly enough... Most travel trailers and RV's I see are run ragged by the time they're 5-10 years old and are equally chastised in the "Well what does your rig look like?" style of places.
Yuuyia_Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuuyia_Takahashi View Post
Yeah, I'm not saying that people with shabby budget busses are bad, or even dirty people. Just the fact that most places want to keep a certain image. and sadly enough... Most travel trailers and RV's I see are run ragged by the time they're 5-10 years old and are equally chastised in the "Well what does your rig look like?" style of places.
There are a lot of selfish, loud people in the deadhead/hippie/traveler scene that give the rest of us a bad name.