Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2018, 11:07 PM   #1
Almost There

Water

Where can you get free water when on the road? Any apps or tips would be awesome

Lherrlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:25 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
RV parks, campgrounds, truck stops, friendly strangers etc.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:18 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
lots of gas stations in rural towns have water as well.

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:41 PM   #4
Almost There

And they let you fill up for free? Is this the most convenient way?
Lherrlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:38 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9
I would think most people would be cool enough to let you fill up, what's a few gallons of water cost? Almost nothing in most of the country, California might be different during water conservation
Whatthefak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:51 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatthefak View Post
I would think most people would be cool enough to let you fill up, what's a few gallons of water cost? Almost nothing in most of the country, California might be different during water conservation
Then you haven't seen the news in Atlanta the last year or so. People without a water meter were getting bills.
Customers continue to raise issues about water bills in DeKalb County - Story | WAGA
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:04 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9
I didn't see anything about that. I'm in the Midwest we have very few water problems, outside city limits it's as easy as pounding a pipe in the ground to hit the water table.

Maybe someone tech savvy could make an app people and places could opt to be listed for water stops. Might be good advertising for places we probably wouldn't stop otherwise
Whatthefak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:23 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatthefak View Post
I didn't see anything about that. I'm in the Midwest we have very few water problems, outside city limits it's as easy as pounding a pipe in the ground to hit the water table.

Maybe someone tech savvy could make an app people and places could opt to be listed for water stops. Might be good advertising for places we probably wouldn't stop otherwise
Atlanta has the highest water prices in the country. The whole water system and dept. are corrupt. People are getting water bills that are $4500 a month when they didn't use more than ordinary water and they couldn't prove there was a leak anywhere. Atlanta is a mess. Atlanta is too lenient., they apparently let you get months behind. In the little county I live in, if you don't pay your bill in full within 30 days of the due date they send someone out to turn off your meter and put a lock on it. If that happens they make you pay your bill in full, pay a $75 dollar turn on fee, and add a $200 deposit to your account. Believe me, my water bill is never late.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:50 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lherrlinger View Post
Where can you get free water when on the road? Any apps or tips would be awesome
Adding to the good info that Steve provided... All my info is specific to my experience in the west (not sure it is the same everywhere). I assume you plan to spend most of your time boondocking.

Nearly all dump sites also have potable water nearby (in addition to the non-potable cleanup water).

I believe all (??) truck stops that have an RV island/dump site also have potable water. These dump sites usually cost something ($10).

Many RV parks have a dump site and potable water. Again, a fee if not spending the night but it is pretty minimal ($10).

Some forest service facilities (ranger stations) have at least potable water. Some also have a dump site. I've seen free and not-free.

Some gas stations have dump site/potable water. Often free.

Some/Many of the state welcome centers (near the state borders) have dump sites.

Sometimes a town's 'water treatment facility' has a dump site.

Two useful resources are:
https://rvdumpsites.net/
https://www.sanidumps.com/

My experience full-timing, mostly boondocking, has taught me that an occasional paid night at an RV park or state park ($20-$30/night) is often the way to go. I am able to dump, fill water, do laundry, take a nice hot shower, toss out the trash, and so forth. I am able to go a month without dumping/filling, if that was only a week or less, this idea becomes much less appealing (more expensive).

I installed a good water filter system (Annual RV Water Filter Change - JdFinley.com) so I don't need to worry quite as much about the water supply. When in a town, it is a fairly safe assumption that it is "safe" treated city water. When in the middle of nowhere, you can't know the quality of the water for certain.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free water, help me, water, water tank