Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2021, 07:42 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: 7.6L Navistar DT466e Diesel
Where to go?

We will be hitting the road in 5 months. At least that's the plan as our lease is up at that point. We do have the option of extending on a month to month basis with an increased cost but we really want to get on the road.

When we first started this process I was so CLEAR on where I wanted to go first - head east, drive up along the coast visiting family and friends and scope out places my husband could park for 1 or 2 weeks along the AT so that in 2022 I could attempt a thru hike. We would end up in the northeast in the fall, my favorite place in the fall and also near my family. Then we would reverse course, head south to get to warmer climates and probably head to the southwest for the winter. The following spring we would head back out to the east and the AT and I would be able to backpack, attempting my thru hike.

Well, that's a LOT of time traveling areas of the country I am somewhat to intimately familiar with. And of course I want to see ALL THE PLACES, especially UTAH (which won't happen in the winter).

Then we have our son in the Army and waiting to find out where his first duty station will be. That may dictate where we go when we get rolling. Really depends on where he gets stationed and how long it is before we are allowed to see him. He's currently in training. He was allowed home for the holidays but then we have been not allowed to visit for his basic training graduation and it's looking like we won't be able to visit for his graduation from his advanced training. At some point we want to see him, and would even fly if that made more sense. But we don't fly in the winter and we aren't going anywhere at a time that place may have snow storms.

So as we approach lift off, people keep asking me where we are going and I keep wavering where I want to go "first."

BTW, we are in TX and intend to keep this as our home of record.

FrugalFannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:11 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Maybe not what you're asking for, but a tangent:
Make sure your systems are up for what you're asking them. Our rig worked perfectly plugged in at home... When we did the trip from NH to KY I found several deficiencies that made things very difficult for us, primarily battery capacity (still have to address) and the toilet (which we addressed half of pre-trip due to time constraints, other half post-trip).

Months before the trip, we did call a local hotel and asked them if they had any arrangements for park-and-stay. We found one a few miles from home that would charge around $15 per night to park in the corner of the lot. I would suggest conducting a similar exercise if you haven't already- it isn't enough to just unplug at home, leave your property.

More on point:
I think what you need to do is ensure is that you have a place to park wherever you plan on going. I don't think anyone can tell you where in the country you should go. I think you should try making arrangements of where to stay, be it friends, family, fellow skoolie members... Then try executing on that- plan the trip. How many hours you will drive, what hours you will drive, where you will stop. How to caravan if multiple vehicles. Try to do a mini trip, maybe a state or two over, where you will return prior to your 5 month launch window so that you can correct for any issues before you "hit the road".

You can't have enough practice, or gain enough experience. I've learned things, corrected for mistakes, and I'm sure I'd find more mistakes if/when we move again.

Best of luck.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:23 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Kazetsukai makes really good points - a shakedown trip is important. And knowing you have some support along the way is a good idea, too. Support like electricity when needed, water refills, a place to do laundry...these can help, even if they only make up 5% of your nights. Check out HipCamp.com for some options. You can find some pretty cool places to stay...some come with those support features, it that's important to you. And at least you know you have a place that night, instead of winging it late at night in the parking lot.

As far as locations, we also love Utah. And the northwest, too. One of the prettiest drives I've ever taken was between Eugene OR and Florence OR, on the coast, then north on the 101 to Yachats...a great place to stay and explore. Darn, that whole coastline is amazing.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote