Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2017, 08:48 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Worried in CA

Hi!

I am used to being able to park my car wherever I want to in California; within normal rules (red zones, move ever 3 days, street sweeping, you get the idea). I often pull over and sleep on the side of the road, at motels, or in quieter residential areas. I thought with my Skoolie it would be no problem just like my car; other than finding a space Long enough.

However, tonight I found a website with all of these rules specific to Skoolies that say that it is illegal to park everywhere in California for more than a couple hours at a time except for a Boondocking park that you pay for, and there is only one in the SoCal area all the other ones are in Northern California.

If this is true I am seriously looking into moving to Hawaii if it would be any easier there.

Any info on CA and Hawaii would be much appreciated.

Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:53 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

I am a Lyft driver, but can always change jobs if needed. Having a safe home is what is most important to me.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:57 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Hi!

I am used to being able to park my car wherever I want to in California; within normal rules (red zones, move ever 3 days, street sweeping, you get the idea). I often pull over and sleep on the side of the road, at motels, or in quieter residential areas. I thought with my Skoolie it would be no problem just like my car; other than finding a space Long enough.

However, tonight I found a website with all of these rules specific to Skoolies that say that it is illegal to park everywhere in California for more than a couple hours at a time except for a Boondocking park that you pay for, and there is only one in the SoCal area all the other ones are in Northern California.

If this is true I am seriously looking into moving to Hawaii if it would be any easier there.

Any info on CA and Hawaii would be much appreciated.
Probably the two most expensive and highly legislated states in the union.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:00 PM   #4
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
California is a beautiful State and I enjoyed the weather immensely while living there. In the 1980's.

The rules, regulations, stipulations, ordinances, restrictions, fees, fines and general @#$!@ are why people move over a state to Arizona.

Buy a Kalifornia municipal vehicle, don't paint it, park it where you want and put placard in window saying "broke down, service truck summoned". Lather, rinse, repeat.

Oh, well, at least you have legal herb now to help deal with bureaucrats.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:11 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
What's this website??
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:32 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
What's this website??
Rvforum.net
Old 01-31-2017, 09:35 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
California is a beautiful State and I enjoyed the weather immensely while living there. In the 1980's.

The rules, regulations, stipulations, ordinances, restrictions, fees, fines and general @#$!@ are why people move over a state to Arizona.

Buy a Kalifornia municipal vehicle, don't paint it, park it where you want and put placard in window saying "broke down, service truck summoned". Lather, rinse, repeat.

Oh, well, at least you have legal herb now to help deal with bureaucrats.
Yes California has won my heart!
I love your idea!
Ha yes! I was gonna be upset but I got high HA
Old 01-31-2017, 09:42 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
Welcome to the People's Republic of Kalifornia! ... I would love living there, but the laws in your state are plain out of control. Sadly, there are still so many great rural areas in the central valley, but they have to conform to the rules set by LA and SF.
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:44 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

I thought for sure you could park in the least at a wal-mart.
Certainly not my first choice. Don't want to just go to a new wal mart everyday.
I honestly thought I could just park wherever, and just move every 3 days.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:47 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDR76 View Post
Welcome to the People's Republic of Kalifornia! ... I would love living there, but the laws in your state are plain out of control. Sadly, there are still so many great rural areas in the central valley, but they have to conform to the rules set by LA and SF.
Thank you I Love the sf bay area and plan to spend most of my time up there, but also plan to travel around California as well as usa and beyond.
I just might not be traveling around CA as much as I thought if theres going to be huge troubles in boondocking.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:15 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
I am laying in bed reading this; tomorrow morning i must leave a private spot i rented for 8 months. Many of the neighbors are sad to see me leave. I bring my focus back to the miracle that i was able to park here for long enough to complete my build, and remind myself tomorrow does not belong to me

I have been looking and a lot of people have been looking for me as well, but nothing has turned up. I was frustrated as the end date approached but now i have a sense that nothing was supposed to show up, so i am considering Walmarts. That is sure to be an adventure lol and there are a couple of secluded parking oots close by that i may try my luck with.

Deep breaths, i remind myself that the Universe provides for even the tiny sparrow.
This is a magical journey but not for the faint of heart. lol

Wish me luck please.

Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:26 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carytowncat View Post
I am laying in bed reading this; tomorrow morning i must leave a private spot i rented for 8 months. Many of the neighbors are sad to see me leave. I bring my focus back to the miracle that i was able to park here for long enough to complete my build, and remind myself tomorrow does not belong to me

I have been looking and a lot of people have been looking for me as well, but nothing has turned up. I was frustrated as the end date approached but now i have a sense that nothing was supposed to show up, so i am considering Walmarts. That is sure to be an adventure lol and there are a couple of secluded parking oots close by that i may try my luck with.

Deep breaths, i remind myself that the Universe provides for even the tiny sparrow.
This is a magical journey but not for the faint of heart. lol

Wish me luck please.

So many luck wishes!
Old 02-01-2017, 05:10 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Thank you I Love the sf bay area and plan to spend most of my time up there, but also plan to travel around California as well as usa and beyond.
I just might not be traveling around CA as much as I thought if theres going to be huge troubles in boondocking.
The book Roll Your Own was published in the early 70's. Its about bus conversions and traveling in them. Even back then Cali had the laws against sleeping in a vehicle overnight, parking, etc.
Basically the book said they had to stay at homeless camps.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:28 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
The book Roll Your Own was published in the early 70's. Its about bus conversions and traveling in them. Even back then Cali had the laws against sleeping in a vehicle overnight, parking, etc.
Basically the book said they had to stay at homeless camps.
Wow! More usa craziness. Theyd rather you sleep in the streets than your own car.
Which is much safer! At least I always feel much safer in my car than the streets.

That book sounds really neat I'd love to own it to keep in my Skoolie. Make my own book in the future!
Old 02-01-2017, 02:31 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Wow! More usa craziness. Theyd rather you sleep in the streets than your own car.
Which is much safer! At least I always feel much safer in my car than the streets.

That book sounds really neat I'd love to own it to keep in my Skoolie. Make my own book in the future!
Its a great coffee table book, but its getting hard to find. I payed $40 or so for a copy on Amazon.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Also when not streets, but forest or beach etc. if I feel a bad vibe, I can always go get into my vehicle lock the doors, drive away etc. which feels so much better, but nooo legally in CA apparently safety is allowed for the people who have money and ability to get a sleeping space. Illegal to sleep in your own car. Just what?
Old 02-01-2017, 02:35 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Its a great coffee table book, but its getting hard to find. I payed $40 or so for a copy on Amazon.
Yaaaay Thank you! So cool! Love stuff like this!
Old 02-01-2017, 05:33 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
And don't forget "Rolling Homes". Another hippie era conversion classic! Everything from pickup trucks to skoolies and logging trucks. Like, far off, man.

Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:14 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Just a quick note regarding Walmart parking lots.. so far, it's not so bad. We have been at 4 different Walmart parking lots already. I've was clear about no overnight parking, so we didn't stay after buying some supplies. One told us that there was a city ordinance against it but that they didn't have an issue with it themselves. We spent two nights there, with a couple RVs and a few van dwellers next to us. One was very welcoming, had maybe thirty RVs there, some of which didn't move over the course of the three days we were in the area. This morning we are leaving another where we were the only obvious camper.

It's not glamorous, but even our negative responses haven't been bad experiences.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:19 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
here is the Low-down I got on one walmart.. the one in Grove city ohio.. the city doesnt like people staying the night in parking lots.. *BUT* the reality is unless a crime is being committed the police cant run people off unless walmart calls.. however it was required that the walmart be "proactive in preventing over-nighters" so they installed signs... and left the signs at that... it was also domne so if anythiubng was damaged, stolen, etc then it was well known to the Lawyers that the trucks, busses, RV's werent to be there overnight in the first place... however the manager wont run anyone off...

here in downtown st pete i notice RVers Boondocking along non-posted side streets all the time... some streets are marked no parking permit only but many are just unmarked.. so if you are looking to stay in a city for a week or two.. just move around daily and you likely wont get bothered.. esp if you arent in some fancy new housing development.. I dont know about califorina.. I get in and get out of that state... san fran is fun and WeHo is a hoot but I fly in, visit, enjoy and fly out..

as for hawaii.. honolulu is downright a depressing city.. the resorts are all pretty and flowers and umbrella drinks.. but outside of that I wouldnt want to live there. besides being locked up on an Island where you cant road trip

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote