Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2009, 12:48 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1951
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International L153
Engine: '93 GM 6.5 Diesel
1951 IHC Aggie Tailgater

well i was in the process of typing the entire story behind this lil bus out, and my computer freaked out and i lost it. i'll repost tomorrow. Short if it, 1951 IHC L153 SchooMaster, with a 455 Olds and a Turbo 400 tranny.

Now I'll type out the story. Aquired this little jewel in Feb '09, it was a "free" kind of deal, as in a friend was moving to Terlingua, and knew i was looking for a bus, so for the picking up, it was mine. Note it was not free for long. Headed out in a Peterbilt to haul the bus back. So myself one of my very best friends, his honey and my darling wife headed south toward Austin.

Some where in Williamson County i was running a bit faster then i was suppose to be, a sheirf pulled us over,he was a pretty friendly fellow and let me go with just a warning. We were running late when we got started, and this just delay us longer. we called ahead to the location of the bus, to make sure somebody would be there. it was located at a impound/repo place, and not it was not impounded or repoed, just stored there, my friend had at one point in time rented a house from the owners.

We managed to in contact with them, and their yard hand agreed to wait on us for 50 buck, thus the end of the "free" bus. Got there about 5:35, found what shows in the pictures below. the lock on the gate did not have a key any longer, so the yard hand found a pair of bolt cutters (which the owner informed me, he repoed form somebody) and cut the lock. what we found was 2 flat tires, and a bus that had apperantly been sitting for 12 years, or at least that was the last time it was inspected.

Note that on this little jaunt we did take a pickup, tools and an air compressor. aired up the flat tires, chained on and pulled it out. proceeded to load it on our drop deck with out any problems. less the concern about working off of a fairly narrow 2 lane road, in the end, we had it chained, boomed and hit the road just after dusk.

found a place to part the Pete, and ran into Austin for dinner, and thats how all this got started.

grz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:57 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: 1951 IHC Aggie Tailgater

Pictures of the bus

Old 06-26-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I've made a fair bit of progress on the bus, luckly the 455 was in good shape. a new carb/air cleaner, electronic distrubtor, some clean gas, a battery and an oil change and about 2 week of work, and i had the old girl where she would start.

First thing we did was gut the inside, then it was missing a drive line so i hunted for the pieces to make that up, next i tackled the brakes, as it had none. a new mastercylinder, 4 wheel cylinders, rebuilt hydravac brake booster, i did learn in this process that the rear axle has been replaced. one of the first things i ordered was an orginal parts manual for the bus. after realizing the wheel cylinders that i ordered for the rear of the bus wouldn't fit, i made do, took the new ones apart, pulled the old ones and rebuilt them.

back to the driveline, luckly we managed to find out out of an International truck of some sort from an old trucking friend of my dads, and i won a suburban dirve shaft from ebay, and had our local machine shop build the driveshaft out for me, bought a new yoke for the rearend to match the truck drivehsaft. once that was assembled, added some ATF to the turbo 400, and lookly there, it ran under its own power, and it even stopped.

While taking it around the look from our house (my wife was dirving) she is a former aTm bus driver, the tranny cooler fell from where it was placed in front of the raidator and drug until the bus bled out, and wouldn't move any more. removed the cooler for the time being and spliced the lines together, some more atf and a way we went!

oh i added an air compressor and an air ride drivers seat.

other major work, i've completely rewired the bus, with a new wiring harness, before she had 3 circuits, now she has 20! new lights all the way around, all LED, didn't do HID headlights, yet

That brings us to abount now, spend that last week working on a cracked exhaust manifold, almost have that all back together. my plans for the rest of the summer, work up the inteior to the point that it is useful, have come across some transit type bus seats, have to pick them up yet. as for the rest of the summer a generator, and rooftop ac unit is to come. paint and dressing up is going to have to wait until next year. i fully intend to have the bus at the first football game, even if it killls me!

if you have any questions please feel free to ask, i've had alot of fun working on the old gal!
Old 06-26-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

yeah it is in pretty ok shape, little bit of cancer here and there, but nothing that isn't workable. so far i've been pretty impressed with the drum brakes, it will sure enough put you into the windshield if you get on them.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah i had been considering the antique plates, haven't decided what i'm going to do just yet, thanks! Gig'em
Old 06-29-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2L GM
Rated Cap: 19

Are you going to setup around Kleberg this season? What are your plans for paint? I could see that thing sporting some flames. No shame in not being painted the first season. I had a yellow dog for my first season.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:01 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

i will be there this season. assuming i can get a get a parking spot. have my name on the list. as for paint, looking at the pictures anything that is dark brown will be maroon, and the rest white. note this is not going to be this season. next year will be paint (maybe). this year it will be just a chocolate brown aggie bus

i like the flames idea, maybe fenders feed into some maroon flames down the side. whats the paint scheme on your shortie?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:16 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2L GM
Rated Cap: 19

My paint is just a simple two tone scheme - maroon on the bottom, white on top. We were going to do flames originally, but my original painter backed out so I kept it simple.

You might be able to park your bus in a regular spot at Kleberg. Mine fits in a standard parking space.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72

Looks like it's all workable. I like old vehicles anyway. I love the fringe around the window. Kind af an Indian version of DingoBalls. Have fun and good luck!
Old 07-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

slick looking paint man, even if it is simple like the fancy shiney rims too! pretty sure my bus won't fit in a normal parking spot. esp w/ the extended rear bumper on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papabear
Looks like it's all workable. I like old vehicles anyway. I love the fringe around the window. Kind af an Indian version of DingoBalls. Have fun and good luck!
Yeah it has been pretty easy thus far. fringe had to go, i've got the sub floor in, fixing to start building the seating inside. will post some more pics before long.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:06 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

I love it! Old busses are too cool... Maybe a streetrod flair would look good.
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:37 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Hey folks, attached are some more pics of the work i've been doing.

Pic of the 455 with a shiney new breather and carb.

Air ride seat out of a peterbilt

New Dolphin Gagues (all working mind you, to include the speedo which runs off of GPS)

Old 07-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Wow...you have your hands full on this project!

I think some transit style windows would really look good on yer bus. The bus looks solid for its age...
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:03 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

yeah it is a work in progress.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

front floormat made from the bed mat out of a pickup truck.

will cover the kick panels with carpet eventually, and do a better job of installation on the stereo, haven't conviced myself i want to cut into the dash yet, so mounted it temp like for now.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

What a day this has been. Started off headed to Waco (about 7:30AM)to get the VIN inspected on the bus, as the VIN accorinding to the license plate and the one on the Bus itself didn't match. still have not figured out how that happend, so we got the VIN inspected, walked across the street to the regional txdot office and applied for a bonded title. paper work complete, the TxDot office issues us a letter to let us get the process underway. i forgot to mention that we got to run around and find a notary public for the VIN form the reginal TxDot office required.

Across Waco we went from there to pay for the Bond to go along with the title application, so TxDot letter, Bond, & other paperwork in head we thought we were in pretty good shape. A trip to the parts store and a lil bit of time spent fixing a vaccum leak and we were ready for lunch. Went to buzzard billies, had lunch and started to head out. as we pulled out of the parking lot i heard a rattle that wasn't one i had heard before. so we pulled over to take a look. the bus had lost a bolt out of the carrying bearing bracket. so the bus sat on the side of the road while my darling wife took me to the parts house. a box of flat washers, locking nuts and some botls later, it started raining a bit while i was under the bus putting it all back together, got it all lined back up, and put back together, my lovely wife thought she needed to document the process so below you will see some pics of my feet sticking out from under the bus on the side of the road.

Discoverd a bit of a transmission lead on the cooler lines so i tighten that up a bit. and we were on the road again. the bus runs out pretty well, shimmys a bit around 65/70 but it runs ok. Was heating up a bit, so i think i'm going to pull the raidiator considering it was overcast and not really all that hot.

we made it back to Belton and headed to the County Tax office. got there, smelt a sweet smell, which i knew what it was, antifreeze. discovered that a plug and blown off of where a heater hose would have connected to on that GM radiator. so while it cooled down we went inside and tried to get the title work done. . no luck new requirement. nobody else had told us but the county wanted a weight ticket and a 'green slip' i.e. inspection slip. so we ran to the parts house down the road, got a plug for the radiator, and a bit of water, and were were back to going. ran to the inspection house and got the green slip, then over to the local feed store for a certified weight slip, and back to the tax office. we managed to get it finished, they unlocked the dors and lets us out, that was about 4:50PM

been a long day, and i'm glad to be back home and have the bus titled, registered and ready to rock!

Old 07-20-2009, 11:47 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Anyone else getting that Wizard of Oz vibe...? Sorry.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:06 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

no ruby read slippers. but funny none the less. :P
Old 07-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72

CONGRATS! all papered and legal. That can be a huge stepping stone for some.
"No one gets in to see the wizard!" or is it "Are you a good witch or a bad witch?"
Old 07-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

all of the above maybe :P

a few more pics, got ahold of some carpet that was going to be thrown away, not much of a carpet installer, but it is looking pretty good if you ask me

need a break from all this work going on vacation for a week, Bahamas here we come