Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2020, 11:40 PM   #21
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by tork View Post
Here in Alaska there are no interstates and going 70 mph isn't really important unless you're in a hurry. And if you're in Happy Bus you ain't in a hurry!

I've had the bus since 1984 and the 223 six cylinder never missed a beat. Slow and steady and just shy of 8mpg. Now if I can just get her to stop...

Happy Bus is a rustic camper; nicer than a tent and more bear proof. And that extra headroom? A bonus.

I'll measure tomorrow and post the results. Yikes.
I hadn't noticed your info and assumed a 330 V-8 and low gears. But 8 mpg is great even for a six. That thing must be running perfect. I will say, though -- the frame and running gear swap could solve your stopping worries and keep Happy Bus humming happily along for another 57 years... As well as increase its value. Certainly would start easier in those Alaska winters... ;)

CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:36 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1963
Chassis: Ford B-500
Engine: 223 inline 6
Whew-

NPR truck is about 134” wheelbase.
Happy Bus is about 155” wheelbase.

I’m sure there’s a way to make it work, but Happy Bus will remain stock for years to come unless things change.

And things always change....
tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:15 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
NPR wheel bases range from 109 to 132.5 to150 to 176 inches--plenty of lengths to get creative with. The 176" frame would easily shorten to your 155" wheel base. The NQR go to 200"'

If you do consider a frame change pick a frame without rails that drop down (like the GM 1.5 tons).
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:33 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

ol trunt-

I must have the 132.5 NPR frame on my box truck, but I won't take on a project of such magnitude. I'll leave that to you pros.

But a modern drive train does sound attractive!
Old 09-26-2020, 05:25 AM   #25
Traveling

Quote:
Whew-

NPR truck is about 134” wheelbase.
Happy Bus is about 155” wheelbase.

I’m sure there’s a way to make it work, but Happy Bus will remain stock for years to come unless things change.
Name:  Aw Nuts Mouse.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  21.6 KB
Old 09-26-2020, 10:40 AM   #26
Bus Geek

CW we tried our best to get tork into trouble but he wouldn't bite. Still it'll be fun to watch him resurrect that beauty!
Jack
Old 09-26-2020, 11:01 AM   #27
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
CW we tried our best to get tork into trouble but he wouldn't bite. Still it'll be fun to watch him resurrect that beauty!
Jack
Dammitman...
Old 09-28-2020, 03:20 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1955
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 6700
Engine: 327
I do like the older buses, nice bus! I think my bus had that vent too. Now there is a patch over that area, I was wondering why. I don't know what the inside is like because of the head liner. Having a headliner in a bus makes a world of difference. I'm glad you are getting your bus back on the road!
Bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:18 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

ol trunt and CW- Nice try you rascals!!

Bluesky- I'm going to investigate the roof vent and it's purpose. It may send rain down a path that ol trunt referenced. I'll find out. It's exciting to revive Happy Bus after all these years!
Old 09-29-2020, 10:40 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
roof vents in old busses

Ihave a 1954 wayne... I think to avoid water inside during the torrential downpours... I am going to weld shut my roof vents. My vents are on part of the front curved surface and I dont think I could get a good cover patch to rivet in place and have a top notch job. I might even braze the vents shuts... hmm now I wonder if I could hammer flat and lead them in...... any ways

My bus is a b500 with 154" wheel base. I am putting a 2010 f450 chassis under the bus... started life as a 176" wheel base.

I kinda dig the look of the superiors like yours..... I have a 1958 international /wayne, and I intend to keep the driveline original, I will really have to think about the brakes....

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:03 AM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
I'll measure just for fun...ya never know what could happen. I hope it won't work 'cause I've got too much other stuff to do!

Here in Alaska there are no interstates and going 70 mph isn't really important unless you're in a hurry. And if you're in Happy Bus you ain't in a hurry!

I've had the bus since 1984 and the 223 six cylinder never missed a beat. Slow and steady and just shy of 8mpg. Now if I can just get her to stop...

Happy Bus is a rustic camper; nicer than a tent and more bear proof. And that extra headroom? A bonus.

I'll measure tomorrow and post the results. Yikes.

Neat bus. I too would keep it original based on what you say about the local roads.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:53 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I love the retro busses.. although for me anything I road-trip all over the country I like to have a more modern driveline.. but the classics that i dont drive all over creation keep their original driveline..

changing the driveline doesnt hurt the "classic-ness" of a bus thats already being converted into a motorhome from whatever it was originally . (school / coach) etc.. it still looks classic but since theres no value to keeping it the original slow cumbersome driveline i say update away.. more modern engine, Power-steering, A/C, Nicer transmission, easier-to-get tires, better brakes.... .. unless theres a good reason to keep the original driveline.. like total nostalgia.. grandfather built the engine, etc..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:09 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

I appreciate the responses and drivetrain opinions. Agreed that a modern drivetrain would be fabulous. I would consider it, but it would cost maybe...$8,000 (more?) and a whole lot of focused energy. I've never done a chassis swap and that could be a dizzying cluster. If I were single and young....perhaps I'd go for it, but I'm neither!

The inside of the bus is circa 1984 rustic. It was once my home (ahhhh), but now it's an Alaskan camper that will bring joy when I get it road worthy. I'll update, but snow is coming and that'll slow my progress.

Thanks for the interest. This is a great forum!
Old 10-06-2020, 08:42 AM   #34

Year: 1957
Chassis: Chevy 4500
Engine: 283 V8
Rated Cap: 13K
Howdy fellow Superior folks! Another long time lurker here. Not sure why it took so long to post. Guess life gets in the way sometimes.

I've got a front vent on my '57 Superior too. Never had an issue with water from this spot (that I've noticed anyway). The top does look like it has a drain in the front cover (I'll snap a picture of that later).
The vent was wired closed when I got my bus, which I think they did to prevent it from opening when driving at speed. But I didn't close mine up yet, since it still works, and like I said, haven't noticed a leak.

You can kind of see the inside from an old shot when I insulated. It's the crescent moon shaped section. Sorry. It seems sideways when I post the picture.

Pleasure to meet y'all.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9123.jpg   IMG_0761.jpg  
mojothebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:14 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Hey Mojothebus glad to see another old Superior in the crowd. At risk of derailing tork's thread I'd like to hear more about your bus. In particular I'd like to know what changes were made in the body from 1935 (mine) to 1957 to 1963. It seems like the roof vent stayed the same--how about the rectangular center roof panel?

We'd all like to see some pics of your build so how about starting a "Superior" thread we can all play on.
Jack

Old 10-06-2020, 12:58 PM   #36

Hey Jack! Love your Superior too. Great work there. Yeah, don’t want to hi-jack Tork’s thread. A Superior thread sounds fun. I’m down.
Yeah, my outside vent looks like the same as Tork’s. Weird he doesn’t have the open/close adjusters on the inside. My ‘57 doesn’t have the rectangular panel like yours. The roof sheeting goes left to right in big sections.

John
Attached Thumbnails
57E9F48D-F8AA-4EC5-8859-28BDBC164F0B.jpg  
Old 10-06-2020, 02:04 PM   #37
Bus Geek

yeaayyy!!! a Superior!!!! a lot older than my superior. burt nevertheless love seeing em!!
Old 10-06-2020, 09:57 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

No threat of a highjack! Way cool we have some Superior rigs to compare.

Mojothebus- not sure why Happy Bus wouldn't have the vent close option, as the vents look exactly alike from the exterior. I'll investigate more.

I'll be asking advice because the floor near the driver's seat and at least three feet toward the rear (and it could be further) has rotted plywood, and rust. I haven't really tore into it yet, but I think I'm in for a big surprise.

Back in '84 I removed the bus seats and just slapped up some lumber and made a bed, counter, closet over the rubber flooring and attached to the bus walls. I didn't consider what was under the rubber floor.

So, Superior folk- where is the likeliest place water could enter the bus? I know the small flip up vent just rear of the hood is a leaker, but capillary action all the way to midship? Roof seams? Window gaskets? Marker lights? I've read the forums but couldn't get a grasp of how busses deal with shedding water. Now that there are a few superior owners onboard I'd like your opinions on how superior drains the rain.

Lengthy post apologies-

tork
Old 10-07-2020, 02:40 AM   #39
Bus Geek

My superior is much newer , but it spent its whole life in a dry desert climate , while there’s pretty much zero rust every rubber gasket or seal on the body is dry rotted and cracked. There’s a lot of rattle from the windows so I took a couple out to find what was once rubber or caulking just crumbled away, the gaskets under the marker lights turned to dust when I took a couple off..

If mine which is a 1978 can be that way I can only imagine that the ones in this thread much older have to assume everything needs checked. If you are gutting the bus down to skin and bones then it seems a good idea to just start at the back and mist it with the hose and watch for leaks. With the interior gone they will be a lot easier to spot the source of
Christopher
Old 10-07-2020, 10:07 AM   #40

My fresh air vent, on the cowl, seems to be the biggest leak culprit lately. It will leave a little water on the floor after a big rain. Hasn’t been that much an issue to mess with yet. Most of my window weatherstrip has been okay for now,.
Attached Thumbnails
944AE0BE-00BC-456D-95B4-E9FE7A3DC9CE.jpg