Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2020, 12:38 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
That type cowl vent was used by Chevy from 1932 thru early 1955 with only one modification in 1947 (added a point to the front edge). As best I can discern they all drained through the firewall via a soon to rot out tube that extended forward and actually dropped water on the 6 cyl valve cover. The early valve covers had 4 vent slots on the upper surface so I expect some water made its way into the motor. More trivia. The original 1932 firewall was used thru the early 1955 trucks built before the '55 body change. I noticed that your cowl is outfitted with a pair of below the glass windshield wipers. Mine ('35) had one hand operated wiper more or less centered below the glass--I changed that!

Here is a pic of my cowl in the rust removal tank. When I reassembled things I welded the vent closed and filled the seam with urethane calk so it would still look original.

I modified the firewall to accept the turbo diesel so there really was no way to keep the cowl vent anyway.

In this pic you can nearly make out the original vent. Also the 3 wipers above the glass.

Just to complete the trivia, the Chevy truck cowls changed completely from mid '55-'59, '60-'66 and '67-91.
Jack

EDIT: I meant to ask this. Do any of you know when the vents on the side of the "A" pillars were eliminated? You can see them in my last picture. They have slide up/down baffles on the inside and drain directly down the pillar to the road.

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 04:17 PM   #42
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Here's a thought for the vent deal...

Ford used an ingenious idea in their factory sunroofs in the 80s... The glass sat on a rubber gasket / weatherstripping, with a deep channel ('moat', as it were) recessed into the roof around the gasket / weatherstripping. At each corner, a small tube drained rainwater away from the channel and down through the tubes, which extended to the bottom of the body to drain the water harmlessly under the vehicle, preventing rust. My 88 EXP had one of these. Good idea for a transplant for those so inclined.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:36 PM   #43

Year: 1957
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy 4500
Engine: 283 V8
Rated Cap: 13K
Jack,

Those A piller vents are interesting. Would love to see some more photos. I don't know when they were eliminated. Found it has been a challenge to find out any info in regards to our old Superiors.
I need to start recording some of the little things I've found with mine. I'd love to find out some more info on the company too, like what is going on currently in the old location in Lima, OH. Is it an Amazon warehouse now?
mojothebus is offline   Reply With Quote