Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-04-2018, 01:00 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Seattle
Posts: 10
Year: 1964
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: S400
Engine: 318 Chrysler
1964 Dodge Shorty 'Linda'

I've been working on bringing back to life my 1964 Dodge shorty. The bus had sat since 1986, never being registered, and slowly losing parts until I found her on ebay last year.






She has that Airstream-esque Wayne body from the 60s. Chrylser 318 Poly V8 mated to a NP435 4 speed. She was used in the Rio Linda Union School Dist from 1964-1986.

I dragged her back up 5 hours from Oregon to Seattle and pieced back together a braking system, clutch system, replaced almost every wire in the harness and every light bulb. I've owned '66 and '68 Dodge trucks so this is a little familiar just much bigger.




I have replaced the following: carburetor, coil, distributor (was missing when purchased) plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuel filters, fuel line, gas tank, starter, battery and cables, voltage regulator, ballast resistor, radiator cap, alternator, brake master cylinder, brake wheel cylinders x 6, brake line, brake booster, clutch master cylinder, clutch line, slave cylinder, wheel bearings, wheel seals




I flushed out the rear differential and manual transmission along with running 3 flushes of oil through the engine to remove moisture buildup from years of water dripping into block from missing distributor hole access. I scored two more wheels so that I could run 4 wheels in the rear vs the two outers that were mounted when I purchased.




This summer I was able to fire her up and get the engine dialed in. I just picked Linda up from the tire shop today and she's sporting new 7.50-20 tube tires.




Next step is to tackle interior wiring and continue to grind off rivets and remove all the interior sheet metal. I've mostly been hanging out on the 61-71 Dodge truck forum, but as she is now a runner, attention is shifting towards the interior build as most major mechanical aspects are sorted- for now, at least.



Goosetavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:18 AM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
plfking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: N.C.
Posts: 1,039
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
We need a 'like' button on this site. In lieu of that, how about a

Learned to drive on my uncle's '64 dodge with 3 on the tree.....this bus looks just like it.

Nicely started, sir. Looking forward to the rest of your build.


Don
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:00 AM   #3
Traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,573
Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Welcome !

Linda is....linda !

It means "beautiful" in Spanish, and she is!!!

We sure won't confuse your build with the masses !
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:03 AM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Jdawgsfanasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosetavi View Post
I've been working on bringing back to life my 1964 Dodge shorty. The bus had sat since 1986, never being registered, and slowly losing parts until I found her on ebay last year.






She has that Airstream-esque Wayne body from the 60s. Chrylser 318 Poly V8 mated to a NP435 4 speed. She was used in the Rio Linda Union School Dist from 1964-1986.

I dragged her back up 5 hours from Oregon to Seattle and pieced back together a braking system, clutch system, replaced almost every wire in the harness and every light bulb. I've owned '66 and '68 Dodge trucks so this is a little familiar just much bigger.




I have replaced the following: carburetor, coil, distributor (was missing when purchased) plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuel filters, fuel line, gas tank, starter, battery and cables, voltage regulator, ballast resistor, radiator cap, alternator, brake master cylinder, brake wheel cylinders x 6, brake line, brake booster, clutch master cylinder, clutch line, slave cylinder, wheel bearings, wheel seals




I flushed out the rear differential and manual transmission along with running 3 flushes of oil through the engine to remove moisture buildup from years of water dripping into block from missing distributor hole access. I scored two more wheels so that I could run 4 wheels in the rear vs the two outers that were mounted when I purchased.




This summer I was able to fire her up and get the engine dialed in. I just picked Linda up from the tire shop today and she's sporting new 7.50-20 tube tires.




Next step is to tackle interior wiring and continue to grind off rivets and remove all the interior sheet metal. I've mostly been hanging out on the 61-71 Dodge truck forum, but as she is now a runner, attention is shifting towards the interior build as most major mechanical aspects are sorted- for now, at least.



Awesome critter right there!!!

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:27 AM   #5
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 21,446
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I think I remember that one on Ebay.
Cool little bus!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:06 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Seattle
Posts: 10
Year: 1964
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: S400
Engine: 318 Chrysler
Thanks for the kind words! @Twigg I'm not sure what happened to my original post, but I read your response before it disappeared!

I'm excited to be amongst the skoolie crew and actively participate in this awesome community. Cheers!
Goosetavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #7
Site Team
 
Johnny Mullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ashtabula, Ohio
Posts: 1,376
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
That's the coolest old Dodge I ever seen!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:22 AM   #8
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 8,462
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Just outstanding!!! --- For some reason I have a special place in my heart for vintage Wayne Skoolies. And having once owned a '66 D100 Town Wagon for 17 years, I really can appreciate that beast. Best of luck with the build and please do keep the pix coming.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:33 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 21
That thing is AWESOME! Love the look of the older busses. Wish you had a YouTube channel. I would love to watch this build.
djmel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:32 PM   #10
Bus Crazy
 
Jolly Roger bus 223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Swansboro,NC
Posts: 1,119
Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Heading in the right direction.
Mechanics before looks is the most important.
The old dodges will always be better than what they or any others put on the roads these days.
Not saying I ain't an old Chevy or ford man but my first truck was an old dodge that I complained about to dad as a kid and he said if you blow that motor out we will replace it?
In the end? I had built a motor to go in the truck but the 6 cyl. In it just wouldn't give up.
Just before I joined the marines that truck still ran strong but if it sat for more than two days you had to pour oil on top of the Pistons to start it and after it started and used daily it was always strong and as a kid on a farm I swear if I anchored it to the ground it would pull the world around.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:01 PM   #11
Almost There
 
WanderingLass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Posts: 89
Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-750
Engine: 390 BB
Rated Cap: 2 humans, 1 cat
Oh my goodness, she's like a miniature Wanda!! (1969 Bluebird 60-passenger) I love her and I can't wait to see more!! Definitely mechanics first - ask WanderingJuggler...uff da!!
WanderingLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:39 PM   #12
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Greater Houston, Tx.
Posts: 583
I'm jealous...... I missed getting a '63 short Dodge by a day or two, and was really bummed. My 2 yr. old granddaughter, from Mo. was visiting us, and I couldn't NOT see her. Such is my SNAFU world. Now you have to keep me up to date with yours.

Congrats
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:21 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Seattle
Posts: 10
Year: 1964
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: S400
Engine: 318 Chrysler
I'm quite partial to these old Dodges. If anyone here has seen 'Duel' Steven Spielberg's first movie, this is the bus from that movie! Although that one is a bit longer. There's a scene where a mid 60s Dodge School Bus loaded with kids gets stuck in a sandy patch and the antagonist of the film, a 50's Peterbilt 351 pushes it free- in a momentary break from the menacing chase between truck and a seemingly random motorist in a Dodge Valiant.

I'll be grinding rivets away soon and pulling all the interior panels to assess any hidden rust or leaks and to insulate, luckily she's a shorty and won't be as painful as a full size bus. I've had good luck grinding heads off and punching rivets out.

Here are some more photos of the progress thus far.




We spent 3 hours trying to unload Linda into the driveway. She was not operational and had no brakes. This is the last know image of her before she got a black eye. She lost a headlight bezel in a fight with a Chevy 3500 brush guard rolling her into position up the driveway.
























The Dodge fairy has an old bus chassis that he wouldn't let me touch but I scored a bunch of Dodge specific parts and wheels from the ol feller
Goosetavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:32 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Seattle
Posts: 10
Year: 1964
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: S400
Engine: 318 Chrysler
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olfart View Post
I'm jealous...... I missed getting a '63 short Dodge by a day or two, and was really bummed. My 2 yr. old granddaughter, from Mo. was visiting us, and I couldn't NOT see her. Such is my SNAFU world. Now you have to keep me up to date with yours.

Congrats
Was it the one with the Partridge family color scheme? Or another yellow one out of the east coast?

I also recently found this monster of a power wagon last weekend. I was drooling. Coolest one I've seen yet.
Goosetavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:21 AM   #15
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 8,462
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Maybe it's just me, but that little beauty looks like a perfect candidate for a Cummins 6BT and Allison combo. Would be a monster that gets 20+ mpg with the right rear gears. And it would be an easy fit compared to the narrow framed pre-war rigs like mine.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Seattle
Posts: 10
Year: 1964
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: S400
Engine: 318 Chrysler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Maybe it's just me, but that little beauty looks like a perfect candidate for a Cummins 6BT and Allison combo. Would be a monster that gets 20+ mpg with the right rear gears. And it would be an easy fit compared to the narrow framed pre-war rigs like mine.
I've looked into it! I definitely want a 6BT although I could never put an auto tranny in her. Rowing gears is half the fun! I'm curious why you went with the 4BT on your build.

I would like to find a 1 ton dodge pickup to rob the rear end, engine, and 5 speed manual from eventually. For now, I plan to keep running the stock V8 and focus on the interior build before a heart transplant. You can't kill these old Poly "wideblock" dodge engines.
Goosetavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:44 PM   #17
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Greater Houston, Tx.
Posts: 583
Goose, it was the colorful one in N/E Texas. It was just 2k+ and I had made up my mind that I was going to drive up, get it on my trailer, hide it (somewhere) from my wife. Did that once with a '71 Chevy pickup. When she found the title for it, I just said it was for our sons 1st truck. HE was thrilled(-:

Still looking 4 something, just out of the ordinary.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:56 PM   #18
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 8,462
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Your post war frame and front end will easily accommodate a 6BT. My '46...not. The frame narrows dramatically along with that Art Deco nose so a 4 banger was all I could squeeze in. Even then I had to cut out the firewall all the way back to the old dash. It has been an interesting journey to say the least. But given the weight, the four will be plenty coupled with 6 close ratio gears and 2 OD's.

If you have not seen it yet, check out 4BTswaps.com. Great bunch of very savvy diesel folks with the focus on 4 & 6 BT transplants. Some very basic, some outrageous (Hint...you can get 800 horses out a of a six). Me...I'm fine with the stock 130. That is 50% more than this bus came with, plus nearly three times the torque. I might dial mine up to about 175-200. All it takes is a screwdriver. These things are so easy to turn up it is ridiculous.

Whatever you do...please...keep the pix coming and have fun.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:54 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Seattle
Posts: 10
Year: 1964
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: S400
Engine: 318 Chrysler
Spent some time today removing the interior ceiling sheet metal panels. These things were massive! An angle grinder did quick work of the rivets. There's some moisture here on underside of roof metal, but no rust holes. I think water is seeping in through the roof seams.



Goosetavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:45 AM   #20
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winlcok, WA
Posts: 2,195
If both of your windshield wipers operate at the same time with one switch, IIRC the replacement wiper motor is from a 1959 Imperial.

We had a 1965 IHC Loadstar with a 9-row Wayne body. It too had the wipers hung from above the windshield like your bus does. That was a pretty good old bus--easy to drive, not too bad on fuel usage, and it could sit for weeks at a time during the winter and it would start right up and be ready to go. By the late '70's it had become a spare bus. And then one day some junk and plunder that wasn't supposed to be in that overhead compartment moved around and got all buggered up into the wiper mechanisms. Before the driver realized he had a problem the wiper motor burned out.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×