Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevy
1st Skoolie!! Suggestions welcome!!

Hi skoolies, Im a first time bus owner. Found this site and was blown away to find there are indeed crazier people than me! (good crazy!) My bus is a 1990 chevy and seems to be in good shape. I bought it from my uncle who works for the school district and had all the maintenance papers to go with it. It starts right up and drives nice. Anyway, Im excited to get this project done however, its too cold in PA right now to do much. I removed all the seats and most of the floor. There are a few small holes that I will need to patch, and then finish it with rustolium. Since its February in PA I will need to find a garage big enough to fit it in or wait till spring. Id rather be done by spring, but we'll see. I only have 1 pic for now, but I'll post more asap. Since I can't do much with it right now, I figured I would start the post and get some ideas for a name. I have most of my floor plan done which I'll also post with some more pics. I'm not to sure what I am going to do with some of my space, but thought I would figure it out when I got there. My main focus now is the floor! Any feedback would be great! The name of the bus will be on the front where it said "school bus" across the top. I thought of a couple already, but you guys seem very creative so we'll see what you may come up with. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
skoolie.jpg  

Old 02-03-2010, 11:46 PM   #2
Almost There

Re: 1st Skoolie!! Suggestions welcome!!

Welcome, and great bus... ( just like mine, only two years newer) Looks like a jelly bean.... Leslie
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
Skoolie

Clifford popped right into my head........can anybody tell me why?

Smitty

Because there is seriously something wrong with you!

Jackie
Mulelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Wow, didn't think I would get so many responses so fast! Thats good! . Those are good suggestions, big red was one that I was thinking of, clifford was good too though! I do plan on keeping the exterior the same, not too crazy about red, but i guess it matches my car lol. If I were to repaint it, I guess I would go with blue and white (PSU). I'll get my floor plan(s) on here soon, I have tons of ideas. Ive been wanting to do this for a very long time! Ive seen a few that other people have done over the years and after looking at some on here, I'm very excited! Sometime this week I'll post more photos along with a floor plan or 2. Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 02-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 99
Coachwork: GMC
Engine: 350
Rated Cap: 21

We usually named pet vehicles like this after whom ever we bought it from or someone associated with the sale. Your uncle, someone from the school etc. Clifford is pretty cool tho.

A man with a gun is a citizen...A man without a gun is a subject.
68camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Well.....DUH

I knew that. Welcome, Cronk!
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

So, here are the floor plans for now. They're not fit to scale or anything, just made this at work in like 3 mins! Just wanted to give you guys an idea of what I would like to do. I have everything already and it all fits, I just need better weather! I'll add more pics of my progress within the next week or so. As for the floor plans, most everything will have storage. I'll have storage above the bed starting at the top of the back window, so I can still see! There will also be storage under the benches, sink, counter, and stove. I'll make a place for a tv above the fridge. I was thinking about water tanks for the sink, but I'm not too sure what I am going to do with that. There is plenty of room under a bus, so if I decide later to do it, I'm sure that wont be a problem. A deck up top would be nice too, but I dont think I want to get into that! As far as the name goes, I didnt like Clifford much at first, but it is good, so maybe... thanks Smitty!

****Ok so I cant get the floorplans on here, wont accept the file. I'll try again later, sorry!
Old 02-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Here are the plans. Like I said not to scale, but it will give you an idea. Smitty, I did do a tape test first and everything is good. If not, I can shave an inch or so off the sink / counter area. Any suggestions for changes are always welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
newfloorplan111.JPG  
Old 02-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E

Just one thought- it's easier to have the bed on top of the storage, since then it's just building a strong box with a flat top; versus trying to hang some sort of shelving thing over where you're sleeping
scosol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

If you don't have a passenger seat, I'd swap everything from side to side. If you are driving down the road and you have passengers, they are gonna be trying to talk to you over your shoulder-rather than across the aisle.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #11

Hey! I also am working on my first bus. It has the advantage of being just about ready to move into, I only need to put in a new floor, bed, and heater. Your plan looks pretty much like the inside of my bus, only with everything on opposite sides. May I suggest for the bed you do a bunk bed? That way you can have storage or whatever you want underneath it. Someone suggested to me using thick boat rope for the bed. You'd have to like a nest-like feel though...
slink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:15 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scosol
Just one thought- it's easier to have the bed on top of the storage, since then it's just building a strong box with a flat top; versus trying to hang some sort of shelving thing over where you're sleeping
I was planning on building some sort of bunk bed frame for the bed. Instead of a top bunk, I would have storage since its too small of an area for a bed. I would also have storage underneath, which I could access from inside and back door. I would like to keep the heater in the back also so I would need to build a small air duct for that.
I was also thinking of building a cabinet or 2 above the bed for storage of wallets, cell phones, camera, ect.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
If you don't have a passenger seat, I'd swap everything from side to side. If you are driving down the road and you have passengers, they are gonna be trying to talk to you over your shoulder-rather than across the aisle.
I thought about that too, but I wanted to make a spot above the fridge for a tv and didnt want to block windows. On that side, it will be in front of the side door. However, I'll see what I can do to change some things
Old 11-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

So, its been a long time since Ive posted, so I figured I would fill you guys in with my progress or lack there of lol. This summer I took the bus to a friends house to help me patch some of the rust on the floors. Originally, he was going to weld some patches on the holes since thats not exactly my area of expertise. Well, it ended up sitting there all summer and nothing happened. Another friend of mine offered to help, so a couple weeks ago, I picked up my bus and we patched the holes and put 2 coats of rustolium on the floor. I am picking up some strips for the frame tomorrow and my neighbor is going to help me frame it out. Between working 6 days a week, being a father, and making time for the new gf, its kinda hard to find time. Since warm weather is very limited, Id like to try to work on this with my son and hopefully get it ready to camp on a semi warm day. If not, theres always next summer, as I dont really want to rush it and do a crap job. I'm excited to have the bus back and its nice that I dont have to worry about weather to work on it anymore! Ill post some pics of my progress and a few random since I realized I never added any other ones!
Old 11-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

sounds like you got the same problem with your bus as i have with mine. TIME!! lol
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:08 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

I have the floor frame cut out and in place, but before I screw it in, I started thinking... should I even have a frame under the plywood, or just lay down insulation with the plywood on top? I think the frame will take an inch or so from the headroom i will have and me being over 6ft, its gonna be close anyway. Any pro's or con's? I'm not worried about what I already cut, I can reuse most of it on the walls and other parts.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 3800
Rated Cap: 34

I am doing my floor a little different. First I am painting it with several coats of rustoleum that has Hy-tech ceramic beads added to it. For a sub floor, I am using 2 X 2 interlocking panels that have a raised plastic base glued to the bottom with little feet. This keeps it directly off the metal, provides a layer of air insulation, and also allows air circulation for moisture. I have about half of the bus painted, this Hy-Tech stuff really seems to work, just by touching it I can feel a difference. It's relatively cheap, about 11.00 dollars for enough to add to 1 gallon of paint. I used these subfloor squares in my basement and really liked the difference it made in heat conduction- no cold floors. I am always worried about the trapped moisture thing too. I think I found them at Lowe's. There more expensive than furring strips and insulation or 3/4" plywood, about 2.30 sq/ft I think, maybe less. But if it prevents having to rip up the floor later to deal with rust or moisture issues and it adds insulation- it's worth it in my eyes. I am really not trying to be too cheap on the basic "foundation" of my bus. Hopefully will be more cost effective in the long run.

https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/index...es/PAIR-A-DOCS
cjgbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
If the framing is the same thickness as the insulation, it's not gonna matter since you're still losing the same amount, so I'd say do which ever you prefer. I wouldn't frame it higher than the insulation, since it'll (the insulation) help support the floor sheeting & keep some of the "bounce" out of it (which is also why I'a always suggest 3/4" sheeting on the floor).

I used 1X3 (or 4's?) but they weren't screwed to the metal floor, they were just to lock the seams together on the floor sheeting. My (1.5") insulation and (3/4") plywood floor sheeting all "float", none of it is attached to the metal floor.

Smitty
Thats a good idea, I think I'll go with this. Now all I need to do is get the insulation and plywood. Oh, and take some more pictures for you guys Once the floor is in place, the rest should be easier since I have most of what I'll need. Its going to be a bit rustic at first, but I plan on adding goodies as I go.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg
I like that you posted a floor plan. I don't have my bus yet but it's good to see how other people are doing things. I'm just wondering where you're planning on putting the potty. Under the bench seat, maybe?

Meg
I was just planning on getting a potty from walmart that I could store under a bench while driving, then when I get to a site I have a small canopy that I would put up outside the bus. Id have an outside bathroom with a portable shower that I could hang from the top of the bus going into the canopy. Id like to have it indoors, but it will take up too much room and I dont have much to spare!
Old 02-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronk3420
... I'd have an outside bathroom with a portable shower that I could hang from the top of the bus going into the canopy...
I take it that you will be boondocking on BLM land out west then? And only in areas that it is permitted to drain grey water out on the ground? Many campgrounds in the eastern US (public ones) will not allow that. And that includes "dispersed" campsites (ie: the "wide spot" in the road kind).
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote