Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2015, 02:05 PM   #141
Bus Nut

I have a electric idle control but these numbers were at idle for baseline.

dond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:17 PM   #142
Bus Nut

Question along those lines - for a SHORT while I was into boating, and was talking to some diesel guys. They do this thing called "tested log" racing - you race against your prediction of your own time and try to come as close as possible to it, rather than first-to-the-finish. Closest prediction wins. Sort of interesting because they have a monitor come aboard and verify that you aren't using any sort of speed gauges - you can have RPM, but nothing that tells you how you're doing time-wise.

Anyway... I was watching this guy drive and every few minutes (like 5-10 minutes?) he would throttle up or down a few hundred rpm, then go at that rate for a while, then change again. He said it was because "diesels don't like to stay at one speed for long."

Now, I was kinda young at the time and naive - didn't want to admit I had no idea what he was talking about so I just accepted it and it stuck with me. But now I'm wondering - is there any truth to this? I know gas engines way better than diesels - in a diesel, is this true, and why would it be?
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:23 PM   #143
Bus Nut

Don't know for a fact but if so there's a lot of diesel gennys/water pumps etc. in trouble out there.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:43 PM   #144
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
My understanding is that diesels don't tend to like to idle and hate going too fast, but in their sweet spot, they would happily run forever.
Timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:09 PM   #145
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Roger the "Sweet Spot" --- Most diesels don't like extended (more than maybe ten minutes) of slow idle and definitely don't like pushing far beyond their Peak Torque RPM for very long either. Keep them happy by maintaining that preferred RPM and they will be good to you for a half-million miles (all other considerations being equal...like clean air, clean fuel, etc.) A good argument for the right transmission and rear end.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #146
Bus Nut

In my other "before retirement" life, we had a truck with a 3208 that grenaded due to lack of oil. The Co. ordered a new CAT crate engine and it was installed.
The truck used a cool down timer on the start switch...Turn off the engine and it would run for 5 min. Apparently someone mis wired that switch, the truck was finished on Friday evening. The truck was left at low idle in yard until Sunday afternoon when a supr. came to the yard to clean up some paperwork and heard 'something' running.

That new engine never ran worth a damn and used oil like crazy, had a short life and was gone.

I never low idle more than a few minutes myself. If I need to run the engine I use the fast idle switch and run it at about 800 rpm. I have an adjustable prop. if need more RPM.

P.S. I got my CDL in the 60's when it wasn't even mandatory and the test was about as hard as a reg. lic.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:24 PM   #147
Bus Nut

Off to another glamping adventure tomorrow. This is an annual meeting of our little off road club and always fun. The WX looks to be perfect.

Pics will follow next week.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:05 PM   #148

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by dond View Post
Arizona doesn't care about color. I have yet to venture out of state but when I do it will probably be CA. and I've heard they don't like SBY on retired school buses, BUT, it is titled/registered as an RV so we may have to do a challenge!

If we have members in CA. or other states, perhaps they can confirm if their state allows yeller
According to the CHP (California Highway Patrol) officer that pulled me over, SBY is a no-no.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #149
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
New Jersey is also a non-SBY state.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:33 PM   #150
Skoolie

So is WV- no SBY, stop signs, crossing arms or yellow flashers.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:23 AM   #151
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyLass View Post
So is WV- no SBY, stop signs, crossing arms or yellow flashers.
Ditto in NJ on the signs, arms and 8 ways. But, I plan on flipping the lights and wiring them into the turn and stop lights. But, just to be on the safe side, I'll probably make up blanks and put them on quick disconnects.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:16 PM   #152
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
According to the CHP (California Highway Patrol) officer that pulled me over, SBY is a no-no.
Did the nice officer pull you over for the color?
Did you get a ticket for the color?
Our bus has about 30 percent SBY left, I wonder if SOME yellow is a big deal?
Old 05-25-2015, 03:20 PM   #153
Bus Nut

Our trip went well, no trouble. It was a short run, only about 100 mi. r/t. Pics soon.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #154
Bus Crazy

The only yellow I plan to leave is the arrow on the emergency exit and the "INTERNATIONAL" on the cab, and that'll be by using the vinyl letters as a mask

Old 05-27-2015, 08:53 PM   #155
Bus Nut

From Cumminsengines.com

"When idling is necessary to maintain cab/bunk compartment temperatures, select the lowest idle speed possible (no higher than 800 rpm)."

My bus has an electronic idle control enabling me to choose any RPM plus it has another idle control that takes it up to 800 only.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:04 PM   #156
Bus Nut

Quote:
Our trip went well, no trouble. It was a short run, only about 100 mi. r/t. Pics soon.

This is Suzi the monster truck
Old 05-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #157

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Did the nice officer pull you over for the color?
Did you get a ticket for the color?
Our bus has about 30 percent SBY left, I wonder if SOME yellow is a big deal?
It was a strange encounter. It was a truck enforcement officer. I passed him parked in a gas station. I was turning left and tried to quickly activate my invisible cloaking devise but it was too late. He followed me down a country road and pulled me over. He was just fishing but kept me for about 40 minutes. Looked at my registration and asked why I didn't have GVW listed. I said it was a motorhome. "But it's school bus yellow", he said. It went round and round. Then he wanted to do an inspection. OK. We check tail lights, brake lights, turn signals. Then he says to turn on my 8 way flashers. I think to myself, "This guy is an idiot, I've told him 5 times that it is registered as a motorhome." I again informed him that this is a motorhome. Nothing school bus related is hooked up. NO 8 WAY LIGHTS, NO STOP SIGN, NO STROBE, RED LIGHTS REMOVED FROM FRONT. But the bus is yellow he says. I GET IT!!! So this is how it went. He didn't give me a ticket but he did write up an inspection report.

I don't know that he pulled me over specifically because of the color but I know it was a contributing factor. I know your bus only has some of the yellow left. I don't think that would be a problem unless you ran into that same officer. It only takes one officer and usually it's the truck enforcement guys that know the vehicle code front to back and back to front.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:50 PM   #158
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

This is Suzi the monster truck
Love it. I've had 6 sidekicks and 6 samis. If this is too off-topic, I'd be happy to delete this and send in a PM.

What's your suspension setup? Particularly in the LCAs?
Old 05-28-2015, 01:05 PM   #159
Bus Nut

Front and rear Old Man Emu, 2 in lift.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #160
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 3208 turbo Cat
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
It was a strange encounter. It was a truck enforcement officer. I passed him parked in a gas station. I was turning left and tried to quickly activate my invisible cloaking devise but it was too late. He followed me down a country road and pulled me over. He was just fishing but kept me for about 40 minutes. Looked at my registration and asked why I didn't have GVW listed. I said it was a motorhome. "But it's school bus yellow", he said. It went round and round. Then he wanted to do an inspection. OK. We check tail lights, brake lights, turn signals. Then he says to turn on my 8 way flashers. I think to myself, "This guy is an idiot, I've told him 5 times that it is registered as a motorhome." I again informed him that this is a motorhome. Nothing school bus related is hooked up. NO 8 WAY LIGHTS, NO STOP SIGN, NO STROBE, RED LIGHTS REMOVED FROM FRONT. But the bus is yellow he says. I GET IT!!! So this is how it went. He didn't give me a ticket but he did write up an inspection report.

I don't know that he pulled me over specifically because of the color but I know it was a contributing factor. I know your bus only has some of the yellow left. I don't think that would be a problem unless you ran into that same officer. It only takes one officer and usually it's the truck enforcement guys that know the vehicle code front to back and back to front.
Crazycal, what part of California were you driving? when the officer stopped you? do you mind posting a pic of your bus, just curious how it looks, could not find a pic.
J
juliol is offline   Reply With Quote