Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2015, 08:04 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: 2002 Ford E-450 Super Duty
Engine: Ford 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 29
2 Tools 1 Bus

Originally, the plan was to wait till this spring to start my conversion as a fun side project. Planning has never been my strong suit so within 2 weeks of my lease being up I decided to buy a short bus and moved in. Not the brightest idea I've ever had. With daily July, Aug, Sept temps inside the cab easily at 115F and working 60hrs a week on top of that....well lets just say progress has been steady but very slow.

Budget wise the bus may not have been feasible if I had to spend half my check on rent, no regrets just sucked haha

Main goals of the build are

-To use free scrap wood/materials as much as possible
-NO NEW TOOLS. Tools are an addiction lol Unfortunately after a random rainstorm my only working power tools were a reciprocating saw and drill.
-Function over fashion.
-If I enjoy living in a bus I'll spend the time to do it right next year.
-The queen sized bed stays. It takes up half my space inside...but I loove my bed

Posted a Want AD on craigslist for land to park on and surprisingly within a week I locked in a great piece of farm land.

Once I got land the work started. Seat removal was easy. They were just bolted down with the help of my dad only took about two hours. Bed frame was next. Idolised the side rail that the bus seats sat on for an anchor point. Also used all scrap 2x4's from our delivery trucks.

After a conversation with a stranger at Lowe's I acquired 3 free sheets of OSB board!! Slapped them right on top

With the frame up I now have much more space for storage!!!

For the floor I decided to use expanding foam in the bolt holes, furring strips from a scrap wood pile at work, and the remaining OSB boards. The plan was to plug the holes and lift the floor 1/2" ish so I can put foam insulation below. works good enough for now.

Made a luxurious guest room

Then painted with a fairly ugly mistint of Exterior Valspar Reserve. Only $10!
With the help of some spray adhesive I also put up some Reflectix

I have more than this done atm but I have to run. I'll post once I get free time.

Joemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:58 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Just dive in and do it!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:35 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
We all love pics.

Looking forward to more.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote