Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2018, 07:21 AM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr4btTahoe View Post
112k miles and needs injector cups? I find that highly unlikely. Possible (and semi-common on the 7.3)... but unlikely with such low mileage (unless hours are high.. lots of idle time, etc..)
Hey there, thanks for the suggestions. I know and trust a guy who works with diesel and he told me it was the injector cups. Even pulled them out and showed them to me afterwards- a few of them had big splits in them. It wasn't hard to tell when I started the thing up and it started leaking underneath anyways (but was leak-proof otherwise).

Ruubbiiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:04 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruubbiiee View Post
Hey there, thanks for the suggestions. I know and trust a guy who works with diesel and he told me it was the injector cups. Even pulled them out and showed them to me afterwards- a few of them had big splits in them. It wasn't hard to tell when I started the thing up and it started leaking underneath anyways (but was leak-proof otherwise).
Injector cups can't leak externally. When the leak, they either fill the oil with coolant or the engine burns coolant.

The injector cups are what seal the injectors to the cylinder heads. They are located under the injectors... Under the valve covers. One doesn't just pull one out real quick and show it to you... It's a complete tear down of the top end of the engine.

Something sounds fishy...
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Injector cups can't leak externally. When the leak, they either fill the oil with coolant or the engine burns coolant.

The injector cups are what seal the injectors to the cylinder heads. They are located under the injectors... Under the valve covers. One doesn't just pull one out real quick and show it to you... It's a complete tear down of the top end of the engine.

Something sounds fishy...
He showed the injector cups to me after the work was done, which took a few days, and they were indeed cracked. The leaking stopped as well. I don't know what you're talking about, but the bus has been running like a dream ever since. Maybe one of the caps was cracked?

Anyways, I'm not worried about it anymore. I've driven the thing almost a thousand KM's without issue.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Is this what they showed you?

https://goo.gl/images/Vdzz4r

What I'm saying is the injector cups can't leak externally... meaning you shouldn't see dripping coolant, etc.. from failed injector cups. Perhaps something else was leaking as well... who knows.

Anyways.. no worries now as long as it's running good and you're happy with it.

Made anymore progress on the build portion?
Old 08-23-2018, 03:05 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Is this what they showed you?

https://goo.gl/images/Vdzz4r

What I'm saying is the injector cups can't leak externally... meaning you shouldn't see dripping coolant, etc.. from failed injector cups. Perhaps something else was leaking as well... who knows.

Anyways.. no worries now as long as it's running good and you're happy with it.

Made anymore progress on the build portion?
Yep, those are the ones! I'll have to take a look at the services that were done. All I know is that the problem seems to be solved... I hope it stays that way!

The build is going well, but slow. My partner is suuuuuper busy at work (she's saving up a good nest egg for us for when we start our adventure) and I juuuuust fully recovered from knee surgery so we haven't totally been in sync. Now that I'm healed up I've been hitting it hard by myself, however. It's stripped, insulated w/ furring strips on the floor, and I've started putting in the new sub floor. So.... slowly, but it's going at least!
Old 08-23-2018, 10:27 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Been reading over your build plan. Sounds very similar to what we have in the works. Looking forward to watching your progress!
Old 08-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Hey great, glad to hear it! Feel free to plug your build on here as well if you have a progress thread... I'm always looking to steal good ideas. =)
Old 08-24-2018, 01:28 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruubbiiee View Post
Hey great, glad to hear it! Feel free to plug your build on here as well if you have a progress thread... I'm always looking to steal good ideas. =)
Gladly!

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/93-e350-goshen-adventure-bus-build-18500.html

Our bus is 10 years older. We just got started on installing the cabinets and such. Will be painting and doing flooring over the weekend... Then building the queen size bed. Toilet and passenger seats will be under the bed (bed will solit and fold up when in motion.