Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2017, 01:35 AM   #1

2003 short e450

Hello folk. New here looking at a 2004 e450. Supose to be a 7.3 power stroke but s number comes up to 2003. Has 117k on speedo. I am totally new to buses. My questions to you good folk are

1. Can they be insured for liability. So far have struck out. Any companies you can advise to check with

2. What to look for on the vehicle besides the obvious. Any particular tranny or running gear to stay away from! And how do you tell a 7.3 from 6.0 which from what I understand is a dog

3. Wife and I are 70 and just gonna use this for a little travel in Alaska where we live and haul our belongings to a new home there. Are we being unreasonable at our age to think we can put a bed and stove in one of these and cruise around. Please be honest. No feelings will be hurt

,,4. Thanks to you for replies and best to you. Tim and Sue. This is a short skoolie Mk

tim in alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:51 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: E450 Ferd
Engine: 6.0L Diesel
Rated Cap: 20 window lickin Jeffies
If it's a 7.3L, in good condition and has been maintained... then it might make a nice rig. Transmissions are weak point on the 7.3L vehicles, but if the trans is good now you can keep it intact by using synthetic fluid and installing a nice big trans cooler and filter in the cooler line. Also send the ECU to DP Tuner and have Jody retune it for better driveability.

Tell the difference: 7.3 van has no intercooler. 6.0L does.
Goatherder is offline   Reply With Quote